Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

OakhamTiger32
Super User
Super User

Re: Semi final v Saints - 11th June 2022 KO 4-30pm

Post by OakhamTiger32 »

LE18 wrote: Sun Jun 12, 2022 12:12 pm
markharbtiger wrote: Sun Jun 12, 2022 7:49 am
LE18 wrote: Sat Jun 11, 2022 11:36 pm I agree with you very strongly, my reading of this thread, and most others is becoming very strained by the constant dialogue of criticism of refs decisions, comments every time we make the slightest of errors, are driven by negativity and very rarely any praise!
Not significantly disagreeing with you, but if you want to see criticism of refs decisions, try looking at Saints message board for yesterday's game!
Personally, I see nothing wrong with active discussion on both play and refs decisions as long as we are measured, not personally abusive and abide by the rules of the forum. We're all extremely passionate about our team, and a variety of comment is expected. I don't feel there is quite so much of a lean towards the negatives as you do, but sometimes people focus on the negatives out of frustration. We all want the team to do well, and we all applaud their success, which this year has been (frankly) well beyond what any of us might have predicted.
I am reminded of a player interview early in the season (I forget the details) where a comment was made that under SB the players know what they're supposed to be doing. Maybe this is a classic example of 'keep it simple' but, to his significant credit in my eyes, SB seems to have captured the essence of successful coaching and leadership.
Any way looking forward to next weeks match and living in hope of reading a balanced thread.
I am happy to comment on what I deem poor officiating performances (and no, I have never refereed so perhaps shouldn't comment) but I will also be the first to praise good performances. I have been full of praise for some of Dickson's recent displays and it's not just we win, ref was great, we lose, ref was poor. There is far more to it than that. Yesterday I thought Carley was ok, nothing special but far from terrible. He missed a few forward passes, holding on etc. but he's only human so I have absolutely no issue with this and everyone misses the odd thing.. swings and roundabouts and the decisions went both ways. Big decisions; Porter yellow, spot on. Saints yellow, a bit harsh imho. So overall we probably got the rub of the green yesterday. There have been times when the decisions haven't gone our way and if it's a fairly harsh call (or wrong decision) that impacts the outcome of the game I think people are more than entitled to comment on it.

Yes I haven't refereed professionally but equally I'm not a professional chef but I know when my steak is poorly cooked; likewise I'm not a plumber but I know when my pipes are leaking! I don't think you have to have refereed to be allowed to comment on such matters. Clearly, someone who has will be more knowledgable and will perhaps have a more balanced view but everyone, regardless of experience is entitled to comment and on a forum you will always get every side of the debate and rightly so, it's a forum.
Oakham lad born and bred, Tigers season ticket holder who is enjoying steady progression back towards the good old days!
Dangerous4
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Dangerous4 »

Well done lads, a great comeback.

I wish I could be at Twickenham next week, but I shall be there in spirit. Go get 'em Tigers. :smt023
mol2
Super User
Super User

Post by mol2 »

I would argue the ref didn’t have a great game. Their prop spent most scrums long legged, on his belly or driving at 90 degrees to the rest of the scrum. The assistant (Maxwell-Keys) had a perfect view but did nothing. Yes, starting with Green & Wells in the second row reduced the grunt again reducing the expected level of dominance didn’t help.

Singling out their winger for not taking speculative passes was a bit harsh.

Had Kelly really gone flat out in training? Somehow I doubt it given the breakdown happened almost the first time he ran flat out. Having to use the bench so early was a concern, given that Nadolo seemingly can’t do much more than 20 mins.

The best side isn’t the one that makes most chances or scores the flashiest tries but the one that scores the most points.
nicmattyg
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by nicmattyg »

Mayocaz wrote: Sun Jun 12, 2022 11:00 am
nicmattyg wrote: Sat Jun 11, 2022 5:35 pm
TigerReggie wrote: Sat Jun 11, 2022 5:33 pm Our lineout and attack been getting worse as season goes on. Kelly wasn't ready obviously. Porter lucky. Not convinced we'll survive being down to 14.
Agreed, we’ll see how much dog and fight we’ve got in us in this next 15/20 mins. Ford looked very poor, I’d consider taking him off and try burns at 10
Wow. I’m glad that never happened.
Me too! He had a poor first half by his standards but proved to be a match winner in the 2nd. I love it when a player proves me wrong
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Post by RagingBull »

Honestly don't really get the hype around Saints.
It's like people think they are the first team to be creative lol.
Bristol the season before hand just as attacking minded, Quins in general and like those teams Saints lack bite outside of Lawes.

It's interesting reading Saints fans about their physicality in defence despite missing nearly 10 more tackles than us. Wiese alone beat 9 defenders.

I'm still certainly more worried about our attack, Sarries will not let us have a nice 20 like Saints did at the end.
sam16111986
Super User
Super User

Post by sam16111986 »

Big Dai
Super User
Super User

Post by Big Dai »

Just watching this back.

Anyone else find Dayglo irritating?
Exile Wigstonite living in Wales.
Poet laureate of the "One Eyed Turk".
Bar stool philosopher in the "Wilted Daffodil"
westwinds31
Super User
Super User

Post by westwinds31 »

sam16111986 wrote: Sun Jun 12, 2022 3:40 pm https://www.premiershiprugby.com/previe ... statistics

Match stats.
What an effort by Wiese ! 20 carries and 11 tackles….what a beast.
jgriffin
Super User
Super User

Post by jgriffin »

westwinds31 wrote: Sun Jun 12, 2022 6:31 pm
sam16111986 wrote: Sun Jun 12, 2022 3:40 pm https://www.premiershiprugby.com/previe ... statistics

Match stats.
Watched it back and how many scrums were legal? (to me, as a fancy dan)
Leicester Tigers 1995-
Nottingham 1995-2000
Swansea (Whites) 1988-95
A game played on grass in the open air by teams of XV.
Rugbygramps
Super User
Super User

Post by Rugbygramps »

jgriffin wrote: Sun Jun 12, 2022 6:39 pm

Match stats.
Not many tbh Ferguson is a very canny scrum coach and was on the pitch every break, giving pointers. Should have been stopped but everybody does it, World Rugby are looking at water breaks etc.
First 3 completed scrums should all have been penalties to us as their tighthead belly flopped, but Carley didn’t seem to want to get it involved unless it was blindingly obvious
sam16111986
Super User
Super User

Post by sam16111986 »

Rugbygramps wrote: Sun Jun 12, 2022 6:52 pm

Not many tbh Ferguson is a very canny scrum coach and was on the pitch every break, giving pointers. Should have been stopped but everybody does it, World Rugby are looking at water breaks etc.
First 3 completed scrums should all have been penalties to us as their tighthead belly flopped, but Carley didn’t seem to want to get it involved unless it was blindingly obvious
They were very canny on their put in. As soon as it was hooked back the front row collapsed and the 8 played it away quick so Carley let it go. They did have a couple of good efforts towards the end of the first half but angles looked iffy. At the end of the day you do whatever you can get away with.

I'm sure Borthwick will raise it with Barnes before the final as Mako looked to be struggling Vs Quins and we'll be wanting to milk the scrum for pens in the final.
Rugbygramps
Super User
Super User

Post by Rugbygramps »

Certainly one at the end of the first half Ellis questioned the bind when they got a shove on.
Sarries game Collier handed Maco his :censored: first few scrums
sapajo
Super User
Super User

Post by sapajo »

Big Dai wrote: Sun Jun 12, 2022 6:12 pm Just watching this back.

Anyone else find Dayglo irritating?
He still cannot disguise his hatred of anything to do with Tigers.
Without hope we are nothing, keep the faith, a Tiger for eternity
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

sam16111986 wrote: Sun Jun 12, 2022 6:59 pm
They were very canny on their put in. As soon as it was hooked back the front row collapsed and the 8 played it away quick so Carley let it go. They did have a couple of good efforts towards the end of the first half but angles looked iffy. At the end of the day you do whatever you can get away with.

I'm sure Borthwick will raise it with Barnes before the final as Mako looked to be struggling Vs Quins and we'll be wanting to milk the scrum for pens in the final.
Mako is the LH equivalent of Paul Doran Jones at scrum time 😂
"Rugby isn't a contact sport,ballroom dancing is a contact sport. Rugby is a collision sport" Heyneke Meyer
wigworth
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by wigworth »

sam16111986 wrote: Sun Jun 12, 2022 6:59 pm

In the Champions Cup final Barnes was extremely lenient to the Leinster scrum who were struggling, as long as the ball was able to be played from the back of the scrum he seemed to want to play on, so I wouldn't hold my breath about being able to win penalties come scrum time if he is a similar mood.