Semi final v Saints - 11th June 2022 KO 4-30pm

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

Rugbygramps
Super User
Super User

Semi final v Saints - 11th June 2022 KO 4-30pm

Post by Rugbygramps »

Majority of the team if fit, picks itself for biggest game of the season. I have only watched the highlights but there does seem to be some criticism of Lenny being ponderous. There used to be a lot of often unfair criticism of him in the dark days for the same. Do posters feel this criticism is just, or as before was there just no runners in position?
Anyway no way he doesn’t start, so biggest question marks for me are the 12 shirt, does Kelly start if fit, wingers and bench props. I would go:

Steward
Ashton
Moroni
Kelly
Potter
Ford
Youngs
Genge
Montoya
Cole
Chessum
Wells
Liebenberg
Reffell
Wiese

Bench: Clare, Leatigaga, Heyes, Green, Martin, JVP, Burns, Porter

Edited
Last edited by Rugbygramps on Sun Jun 05, 2022 12:15 pm, edited 2 times in total.
ay2oh
Super User
Super User

Re: Semi nail v Saints 11/06/22

Post by ay2oh »

You’ve got Wells starting + on the bench. Replace him with Martin on the bench and I’d go for that.
A2O
Dokie
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: Semi nail v Saints 11/06/22

Post by Dokie »

Rugbygramps wrote: Sun Jun 05, 2022 11:48 am Majority of the team if fit, picks itself for biggest game of the season. I have only watched the highlights but there does seem to be some criticism of Lenny being ponderous. There used to be a lot of often unfair criticism of him in the dark days for the same. Do posters feel this criticism is just, or as before was there just no runners in position?
Anyway no way he doesn’t start, so biggest question marks for me are the 12 shirt, does Kelly start if fit, wingers and bench props. I would go:

Steward
Ashton
Moroni
Kelly
Potter
Ford
Youngs
Genge
Montoya
Cole
Chessum
Wells
Liebenberg
Reffell
Wiese

Bench: Clare, Leatigaga, Heyes, Green, Wells, JVP, Burns, Porter
Can’t argue with much there. Wells/Martin either way round is good. All logic says that we’ll dominate them up front and pull away as a result. The only nagging concern in the back of my mind is the defence of whichever two of the three wings we select. Regardless of how poor Falcons were, Saints will come away from yesterday with great confidence. On a sunny day, will they secure enough possession to exploit the wide channels, with their hands, running lines and pace.
Tiglon
Super User
Super User

Re: Semi final v Saints - 11th June 2022 KO 4-30pm

Post by Tiglon »

Surprised no mention of Nadolo? Unless he's injured?

Ok, one of their speedsters will run around him at some point, but that's far outweighed by the amount of times he will swat them out of his way with ball in hand, as evidenced by his 2 tries in each Saints game this season. Has to start for me, if fully fit, they just can't deal with him.
ay2oh
Super User
Super User

Post by ay2oh »

Tiglon wrote: Sun Jun 05, 2022 1:19 pm Surprised no mention of Nadolo? Unless he's injured?

Ok, one of their speedsters will run around him at some point, but that's far outweighed by the amount of times he will swat them out of his way with ball in hand, as evidenced by his 2 tries in each Saints game this season. Has to start for me, if fully fit, they just can't deal with him.
Not quite sure whether they will have Nadolo in the 23. Might have Porter on the bench to cover centre and wing although as Welford road is a narrower pitch Nadolo won’t be as exposed. Steve will make the right decision no doubt.
A2O
Downsouth

Post by Downsouth »

I can't fault Rugbygramps team although I'd probably put Whitcombe on the bench. Nadolo is an interesting one, I would probably start him in a final against Sarries but not in this game and Porter gives the all important cover for Kelly as well as on the wing. I just hope Genge is OK.
Rugbygramps
Super User
Super User

Post by Rugbygramps »

Tiglon wrote: Sun Jun 05, 2022 1:19 pm Surprised no mention of Nadolo? Unless he's injured?

Very fair point, he either starts or doesn’t feature. As you say he has scored 4 tries against them and their back line is relatively light weight. If Kelly fit he starts with Porter on the bench, Nadolo starts then probably ahead of Ashton.
Rugbygramps
Super User
Super User

Post by Rugbygramps »

Downsouth wrote: Sun Jun 05, 2022 1:42 pm I can't fault Rugbygramps team although I'd probably put Whitcombe on the bench. Nadolo is an interesting one, I would probably start him in a final against Sarries but not in this game and Porter gives the all important cover for Kelly as well as on the wing. I just hope Genge is OK.
Posters mentioning Genge. Did he look to pick up a knock or was it just a normal replacement
LE18
Super User
Super User

Post by LE18 »

Trying to buy extra tickets for family, on line, problem at checkout, anyone know whats happening, also forum loading up very slowly.
Ian Cant
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Ian Cant »

It’s going to be a nervous wait until Friday’s team is announced. How unlucky to get to the crucial part of the season with serious doubts about Montoya, Kelly, Genge and Heyes! Out of the 4 semi finalists it looks like we are the only team with injury problems! Still, just got to get on with it.
We, the fans, really do have to turn up the volume for this one.
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

Injuries permitting
Genge
Montoya
Cole
Chessum
Wells
Liebenberg
Reffell
Weise
Youngs
Ford
Potter
Kelly
Moroni
Ashton
Steward

Whitcombe,Clare,Heyes,Green,Martin,JVP,Burns,Porter
"Rugby isn't a contact sport,ballroom dancing is a contact sport. Rugby is a collision sport" Heyneke Meyer
trendylfj
Super User
Super User

Post by trendylfj »

I will be so disappointed if Porter is not in the 23 somewhere - the guy's work rate is enormous as was Potter and Steward. Those are our 3 chasers of kicks and let's face it - we are a kicking team. Without chasers, it doesn't work! Do you start with the match fit player and bring on the returnee - not sure which way I would go but the 3 centers will be Porter, Kelly, and Moroni. The front row and their backups pick themselves for me - Genge, Montoya, Cole - Ladygaga, Clare, Hayes. Locks should be Chessum and Wells, and the back row of Liebenberg, Wiese, Reffell with Martin and Van Staden/Green on the bench. The rest of the side would remain the same with the exception of Nadolo would have to give way for Kelly/Porter combo. I totally trust in SB to make the correct decision about our returnees and their match fitness and I simply cannot wait until next Saturday.
Hehehehehehehehe
Tigerbeat

Post by Tigerbeat »

Genge was a tactical substitution so unlikely injured. If the replacement prop got injured he would have been able to come back on.
He should be good for the semi final.
SUPPORT THE MATT HAMPSON TRUST
www.matthampson.co.uk
Old Hob
Super User
Super User

Post by Old Hob »

Looking forward to it but getting twitchy; Stuart Barnes has tipped us to win.
Omnia dicta fortiora si dicta Latina
Rugbygramps
Super User
Super User

Post by Rugbygramps »

Ian Cant wrote: Sun Jun 05, 2022 9:11 pm It’s going to be a nervous wait until Friday’s team is announced. How unlucky to get to the crucial part of the season with serious doubts about Montoya, Kelly, Genge and Heyes! Out of the 4 semi finalists it looks like we are the only team with injury problems! Still, just got to get on with it.
We, the fans, really do have to turn up the volume for this one.
I wouldn’t say there are serious doubts. Of the 4 you mention, Montoya we were told by SB that after picking up a knock, he was ok, no way was he going to be risked before the semi. Kelly has been pictured training and was heard to say at the awards dinner Wasps was a week early but he’ll be ok for the semi. Genge has now been confirmed as a tactical sub on Saturday, no injury has been reported. Heyes has been pictured training I think Saturday was a case of giving Hurd some game time in case Cole or Heyes do pull up lame