Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

westwinds31
Super User
Super User

Re: Weekend Games - 03rd to 05th June 2022

Post by westwinds31 »

Scott1 wrote: Sat Jun 04, 2022 12:58 pm
westwinds31 wrote: Sat Jun 04, 2022 12:51 pm Let’s hope the semis and final are decent in our Premiership, because the schedule has been a damp squib. Gloucester v Saracens, last day of the season, Jubilee weekend, looking for a packed house…..and the weakened team comes out. It’s a joke and shouldn’t be allowed. The cricket has started. Rugby just doesn’t help itself does it !?
Why shouldn’t they be allowed? They are guaranteed a home SF and finishing top isn’t in their own hands. I have no problem at all with what they have done. Whether it will come back to haunt them in the semis who knows?
Because I said so that’s why !! Saints had a full on Newcastle to beat whilst Gloucester were always going to get 5 points. It’s all ifs and buts but they shouldn’t allow it with top 4 etc on the line….in my opinion. How would you feel if Tigers didn’t make it because another club rolled over !? Especially Sarries !
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

“ Because I said so that’s why !! ” 😂👍
"Rugby isn't a contact sport,ballroom dancing is a contact sport. Rugby is a collision sport" Heyneke Meyer
chris111
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by chris111 »

westwinds31 wrote: Sat Jun 04, 2022 6:02 pm
westwinds31 wrote: Sat Jun 04, 2022 12:51 pm Let’s hope the semis and final are decent in our Premiership, because the schedule has been a damp squib. Gloucester v Saracens, last day of the season, Jubilee weekend, looking for a packed house…..and the weakened team comes out. It’s a joke and shouldn’t be allowed. The cricket has started. Rugby just doesn’t help itself does it !?
Why shouldn’t they be allowed? They are guaranteed a home SF and finishing top isn’t in their own hands. I have no problem at all with what they have done. Whether it will come back to haunt them in the semis who knows?
Because I said so that’s why !! Saints had a full on Newcastle to beat whilst Gloucester were always going to get 5 points. It’s all ifs and buts but they shouldn’t allow it with top 4 etc on the line….in my opinion. How would you feel if Tigers didn’t make it because another club rolled over !? Especially Sarries !
Let me turn around your hypotheticals game. How would you feel if Tigers, having secured their position, were forced by PRC to select a full-strength team in a dead rubber match - and lost 3 key players to injury?!
wigworth
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by wigworth »

I see Ireland decided to play again this week, surely 76-14 in a playoff game is a bit embarrassing for the state of the league.
Dokie
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Dokie »

wigworth wrote: Sat Jun 04, 2022 6:37 pm I see Ireland decided to play again this week, surely 76-14 in a playoff game is a bit embarrassing for the state of the league.
Sorry to burst your bubble but they rested six starters and only started one player who hadn’t come through their academy, with one more on the bench.
Rather than offer petty jealousy, we really ought to admire their system, however they manage it.
OakhamTiger32
Super User
Super User

Post by OakhamTiger32 »

Not sure if it’s been said earlier in the thread but the forum is so slow I can’t search back easily without waiting all night.. but..

Exeter Quins was a cracker with some incredible tries! Quins TBP try was the pick of the bunch for me:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=0zpXBYoNMdI

If you haven’t seen it highlights link is above.. enjoy!
Oakham lad born and bred, Tigers season ticket holder who is enjoying steady progression back towards the good old days!
wigworth
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by wigworth »

Dokie wrote: Sat Jun 04, 2022 10:18 pm
wigworth wrote: Sat Jun 04, 2022 6:37 pm I see Ireland decided to play again this week, surely 76-14 in a playoff game is a bit embarrassing for the state of the league.
Sorry to burst your bubble but they rested six starters and only started one player who hadn’t come through their academy, with one more on the bench.
Rather than offer petty jealousy, we really ought to admire their system, however they manage it.
Isn't that even more damming then? The fact they can field a mixed team and obliterate another playoff team is not a good look for the state of the URC. I am not jealous of Leinster in any way I just hold them to a much higher standard than any other club due to them holding such advantages in pretty much every department you could wish for. Unfortunately for them not winning the champions cup means the season has been a failure and you see they players knew it at the final whistle and another league title is scant consolation.
Dokie
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Dokie »

wigworth wrote: Sun Jun 05, 2022 7:03 am
Isn't that even more damming then? The fact they can field a mixed team and obliterate another playoff team is not a good look for the state of the URC. I am not jealous of Leinster in any way I just hold them to a much higher standard than any other club due to them holding such advantages in pretty much every department you could wish for. Unfortunately for them not winning the champions cup means the season has been a failure and you see they players knew it at the final whistle and another league title is scant consolation.
It’s more an indication of a golden generation at Leinster rather than the league being poor. They would do the same to 8th place in the English Prem, or indeed any of the teams outside the top 4.
On a slightly different point, the gap between the elite teams and the rest seems to be growing in both leagues. Look at what Sarries did to Gloucester at Kingsholm in Europe as an example. Leinster just happen to be at the apex of those elite teams right now. It’s up to others to aspire to join them. Tigers have shown that with good coaching, smart recruitment and a number of quality academy graduates that avenue is open.
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

Yes it’s a shocking league mate,comfortably the worse out of the big 4. That’s not to say there isn’t any good teams in it as European competitions prove but mostly it’s just a vehicle for European and International rugby. Let’s hope the SA teams can go some way to change that!
"Rugby isn't a contact sport,ballroom dancing is a contact sport. Rugby is a collision sport" Heyneke Meyer
wigworth
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by wigworth »

Dokie wrote: Sun Jun 05, 2022 8:42 am
It’s more an indication of a golden generation at Leinster rather than the league being poor. They would do the same to 8th place in the English Prem, or indeed any of the teams outside the top 4.
On a slightly different point, the gap between the elite teams and the rest seems to be growing in both leagues. Look at what Sarries did to Gloucester at Kingsholm in Europe as an example. Leinster just happen to be at the apex of those elite teams right now. It’s up to others to aspire to join them. Tigers have shown that with good coaching, smart recruitment and a number of quality academy graduates that avenue is open.
The rest of the league is not the issue though, all the other playoff games were at least competitive. I am not sure I quite buy that other teams can match them if they operate smartly, Leinster operate with a largest budget, have pretty much the full Ireland XV as their first team, have the squad depth to be able to field a 2nd XV that can match all the other teams 1st XV and due to their location they get the pick of all the best Irish schoolboy rugby players for their academy. As you say this is a golden generation for them in terms of the players they have, most of which did come through their system so credit to them for that and also getting lucky in having the Irish "project players" playing for them and not other provinces. So while I would not go so far as to say the deck is rigged in their favour in Irish rugby they certainly do enjoy advantages that other teams simply cannot over come so easily. So the only way I see Leinster relinquishing their dominance is by the gradual erosion of their team through retirements or players going off to case the Yen or Euros elsewhere.

I also slightly disagree that the best teams in the prem are that much better than all the others, what I would say about Tigers, Sarries and Quins are that they are well balanced teams not disproportionately reliant too heavily on either their forwards or backs. Whereas Gloucester are in my opinion are flat track bullies, if they can beat you up front and in the driving lineout maul they have a good chance of winning but if they are not dominant up front their back line isn't going to save them. While for Saints if their back line isn't firing well they don't really have the grunt up front to worry you.
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

wigworth wrote: Sun Jun 05, 2022 9:35 am

The rest of the league is not the issue though, all the other playoff games were at least competitive. I am not sure I quite buy that other teams can match them if they operate smartly, Leinster operate with a largest budget, have pretty much the full Ireland XV as their first team, have the squad depth to be able to field a 2nd XV that can match all the other teams 1st XV and due to their location they get the pick of all the best Irish schoolboy rugby players for their academy. As you say this is a golden generation for them in terms of the players they have, most of which did come through their system so credit to them for that and also getting lucky in having the Irish "project players" playing for them and not other provinces. So while I would not go so far as to say the deck is rigged in their favour in Irish rugby they certainly do enjoy advantages that other teams simply cannot over come so easily. So the only way I see Leinster relinquishing their dominance is by the gradual erosion of their team through retirements or players going off to case the Yen or Euros elsewhere.

I also slightly disagree that the best teams in the prem are that much better than all the others, what I would say about Tigers, Sarries and Quins are that they are well balanced teams not disproportionately reliant too heavily on either their forwards or backs. Whereas Gloucester are in my opinion are flat track bullies, if they can beat you up front and in the driving lineout maul they have a good chance of winning but if they are not dominant up front their back line isn't going to save them. While for Saints if their back line isn't firing well they don't really have the grunt up front to worry you.
And the reason the playoffs were good for the most part is because of the SA teams,the league too! Take them out and the league campaign would've been atrocious! Dragons didn't win a single home game,Cardiff got smashed left right and centre and Glasgow alsace fell off amongst other things.
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

wigworth wrote: Sun Jun 05, 2022 9:35 am

And the reason the playoffs were good for the most part is because of the SA teams,the league too! Take them out and the league campaign would've been atrocious! Dragons didn't win a single home game,Cardiff got smashed left right and centre and Glasgow also fell off amongst other things.
westwinds31
Super User
Super User

Post by westwinds31 »

Scott1 wrote: Sat Jun 04, 2022 6:08 pm “ Because I said so that’s why !! ” 😂👍
I threw that in specially for you Scotty lad….knew you’d like it :smt031
westwinds31
Super User
Super User

Post by westwinds31 »

chris111 wrote: Sat Jun 04, 2022 6:12 pm

Let me turn around your hypotheticals game. How would you feel if Tigers, having secured their position, were forced by PRC to select a full-strength team in a dead rubber match - and lost 3 key players to injury?!
I’d think that we’d been very unlucky. How would you feel if we lost 4th spot because our rival got 5 points playing a second string outfit while we had a full on battle ?
chris111
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by chris111 »

westwinds31 wrote: Sun Jun 05, 2022 10:51 pm
chris111 wrote: Sat Jun 04, 2022 6:12 pm

I’d think that we’d been very unlucky. How would you feel if we lost 4th spot because our rival got 5 points playing a second string outfit while we had a full on battle ?
I would probably be disappointed that results earlier in the season left us dependent on other results going our way to squeeze into 4th, but can’t see how this can be put down to luck. In a league competition you end up where you deserve to end up - and if you perform consistently well throughout the year you’ve earned the right to conserve efforts in the later stages to prepare as you see fit for the crunch points at the end.