Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

ay2oh
Super User
Super User

Re: Next season - players to watch

Post by ay2oh »

markharbtiger wrote: Thu Jun 02, 2022 4:44 pm
Rugbygramps wrote: Thu Jun 02, 2022 4:18 pm
markharbtiger wrote: Thu Jun 02, 2022 4:10 pm I agree about Ilione. I think we've got some v exciting prospects, mainly (though not exclusively) forwards. Nothing wrong with that, but it would be nice to have some more home-grown speedster backs like an Arundell for example
Certainly not having a go but that term speedster has been applied to a couple of players recently notably Kibarige and Radwan, both of whom have rapidly disappeared off the international radar.
Personally I would rather we produced better all rounded footballers, which we have through JVP, Kelly and Steward who has just been been voted by his peers as Englands international player of the season. You can also add to that list the improvements made to Porter and Potters games.
I edited that (but not soon enough) to reflect I was talking about younger players coming through the academy. I certainly didn't mean to say anything negative about some of our younger first team players! My perception (which may not be correct) is we are much stronger producing home grown forwards out of the academy.
In complete contrast to Saints who's academy seems to produce more backs.
A2O
TigerFeetSteve
Super User
Super User

Post by TigerFeetSteve »

ay2oh wrote: Thu Jun 02, 2022 4:51 pm

Certainly not having a go but that term speedster has been applied to a couple of players recently notably Kibarige and Radwan, both of whom have rapidly disappeared off the international radar.
Personally I would rather we produced better all rounded footballers, which we have through JVP, Kelly and Steward who has just been been voted by his peers as Englands international player of the season. You can also add to that list the improvements made to Porter and Potters games.
I edited that (but not soon enough) to reflect I was talking about younger players coming through the academy. I certainly didn't mean to say anything negative about some of our younger first team players! My perception (which may not be correct) is we are much stronger producing home grown forwards out of the academy.
Cusick was the first centre into the academy in a while, though we have had plenty of talent through the academy in the backs, a lot of it at scrum half in recent years, see JVP, Edwards, Law, White & Simmons
Used to run around with an 11, 14 or 15 on my back.
TigerFeetSteve
Super User
Super User

Post by TigerFeetSteve »

Cusick was the first centre into the academy in a while, though we have had plenty of talent through the academy in the backs, a lot of it at scrum half in recent years, see JVP, Edwards, Law, White & Simmons
TigerFeetSteve
Super User
Super User

Post by TigerFeetSteve »

markharbtiger
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by markharbtiger »

Exactly.
markharbtiger
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by markharbtiger »

TigerFeetSteve wrote: Thu Jun 02, 2022 5:12 pm
That's exactly my perception - very focused on certain positions.
sam16111986
Super User
Super User

Post by sam16111986 »

TigerFeetSteve wrote: Thu Jun 02, 2022 5:12 pm
It's likely we'll have have the England under 18 capped midfield combo of Meredith, Woodward and Loose all sign development contracts this summer as well. Meredith and Woodward have already made their PRC debuts.
TigerFeetSteve
Super User
Super User

Post by TigerFeetSteve »

Apologies for all the duplicate posts, my phone is playing up and it's not showing the delete post for me either. Mods feel free to clear them up
markharbtiger
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by markharbtiger »

TigerFeetSteve wrote: Thu Jun 02, 2022 5:24 pm Apologies for all the duplicate posts, my phone is playing up and it's not showing the delete post for me either. Mods feel free to clear them up
Same thing happening to me - website perhaps?
Rugbygramps
Super User
Super User

Post by Rugbygramps »

Issues with the site. I had done a breakdown of current back and forward academy products but it disappeared and was too long to re type
markharbtiger
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by markharbtiger »

sam16111986 wrote: Thu Jun 02, 2022 5:23 pm
It's likely we'll have have the England under 18 capped midfield combo of Meredith, Woodward and Loose all sign development contracts this summer as well. Meredith and Woodward have already made their PRC debuts.
That is good. With Walsh in the academy also, there seems more depth...but maybe just my perception
markharbtiger
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by markharbtiger »

Rugbygramps wrote: Thu Jun 02, 2022 5:33 pm Issues with the site. I had done a breakdown of current back and forward academy products but it disappeared and was too long to re type
What was the bottom line? Maybe I'm wrong in my feeling that Tigers academy has been a forwards conveyor belt of late...happy to be proved so!
Rugbygramps
Super User
Super User

Post by Rugbygramps »

markharbtiger wrote: Thu Jun 02, 2022 5:40 pm
Rugbygramps wrote: Thu Jun 02, 2022 5:33 pm Issues with the site. I had done a breakdown of current back and forward academy products but it disappeared and was too long to re type
What was the bottom line? Maybe I'm wrong in my feeling that Tigers academy has been a forwards conveyor belt of late...happy to be proved so!
Certainly more forwards than backs for accuracy I included the likes of Coley and Lenny
OakhamTiger32
Super User
Super User

Post by OakhamTiger32 »

Have to agree with all the above.. the main player I’m looking forward to seeing in a Tigers shirt is MVS! Will seem like a new signing and I really hope he gets a run in the side injury free. He is an incredible player and looked fantastic for us the few games he played.

Can’t wait to see a pack of:

Cronin, Montoya, Cole, Chessum, Wells, Liebenberg, MVS, Wiese dismantling opposition scrums!

Watson is an exciting prospect and someone I look forward to seeing play in a Tigers shirt along with Cokanasiga
Oakham lad born and bred, Tigers season ticket holder who is enjoying steady progression back towards the good old days!
sam16111986
Super User
Super User

Post by sam16111986 »

markharbtiger wrote: Thu Jun 02, 2022 5:34 pm
sam16111986 wrote: Thu Jun 02, 2022 5:23 pm
That is good. With Walsh in the academy also, there seems more depth...but maybe just my perception
The improvements in the academy have really helped us in recent times. I guess that combined with the intelligent recruitment is creating a lot more depth for us. What positions we get promising players in will always be a bit of a lottery, we are restricted by who is in our catchment area after all.

Personally I'm interested to see Ilione in the first team, he seems such an explosive player it's a real rarity. Hoyt is another one but next season will be too early for him.