Next season - players to watch

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

No6_Flanker
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Next season - players to watch

Post by No6_Flanker »

I’ve just watched back the England U20 Six Nations games and I’ve been impressed by the contributions from Emeka Ilione.

Hoping he gets some time off the bench next season, but it’ll be tough to oust Van Staden and Reffell on form. I think he should be aiming for 6 or so appearances in the Premiership and some starts in the Premiership Rugby Cup (if it’s on, I lose track).

Who else should be making the step up next season?
Cheering on the Tigers in Detroit.
Previously a slower, shorter, less good looking version of Tom Croft.
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Re: Next season - players to watch

Post by Scott1 »

Looking forward to seeing Tom Manz!
"Rugby isn't a contact sport,ballroom dancing is a contact sport. Rugby is a collision sport" Heyneke Meyer
fentiger
Super User
Super User

Post by fentiger »

I expect Chessum junior to bulk up over the summer, so he should feature. Also Manz :smt023
No6_Flanker
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by No6_Flanker »

fentiger wrote: Thu Jun 02, 2022 2:16 pm I expect Chessum junior to bulk up over the summer, so he should feature. Also Manz :smt023
Looks like the second row will be pretty congested what with Henderson back, O Chessum having emerged as a starter, and people wanting to see Martin get some game time there.
fentiger
Super User
Super User

Post by fentiger »

No6_Flanker wrote: Thu Jun 02, 2022 2:26 pm
fentiger wrote: Thu Jun 02, 2022 2:16 pm I expect Chessum junior to bulk up over the summer, so he should feature. Also Manz :smt023
Looks like the second row will be pretty congested what with Henderson back, O Chessum having emerged as a starter, and people wanting to see Martin get some game time there.
Some congestion although I understand the club see Martin as a 6 predominantly.
No6_Flanker
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by No6_Flanker »

fentiger wrote: Thu Jun 02, 2022 2:31 pm Some congestion although I understand the club see Martin as a 6 predominantly.
Indeed, although that’s without mentioning Wells, Snyman, or Green.
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Post by RagingBull »

Left field shout but depending on Dolly injury a player to potentially watch for might be Vanes at the start of season.
wigworth
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by wigworth »

Definitely, the club need to invest in some bigger dinner plates for him over the summer.
TigerFeetSteve
Super User
Super User

Post by TigerFeetSteve »

My players to watch

Vanes
Jansen
Ilione
Manz
Cusick
Meredith
Used to run around with an 11, 14 or 15 on my back.
No6_Flanker
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by No6_Flanker »

RagingBull wrote: Thu Jun 02, 2022 2:34 pm Left field shout but depending on Dolly injury a player to potentially watch for might be Vanes at the start of season.
Good call. I haven’t watched him play for Nottingham, how is his set piece looking?
Rugbygramps
Super User
Super User

Post by Rugbygramps »

Of the newcomers a fully fit Watson will be a joy to watch in a Tigers shirt, also I’m looking forward to seeing Cocanasinga getting some game time, he has all the attributes to really make the step up imo.
markharbtiger
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by markharbtiger »

I agree about Ilione. I think we've got some v exciting prospects, mainly (though not exclusively) forwards. Nothing wrong with that, but it would be nice to have some more home-grown speedster backs in the academy like an Arundell for example. Maybe we do?
Rugbygramps
Super User
Super User

Post by Rugbygramps »

markharbtiger wrote: Thu Jun 02, 2022 4:10 pm I agree about Ilione. I think we've got some v exciting prospects, mainly (though not exclusively) forwards. Nothing wrong with that, but it would be nice to have some more home-grown speedster backs like an Arundell for example
Certainly not having a go but that term speedster has been applied to a couple of players recently notably Kibarige and Radwan, both of whom have rapidly disappeared off the international radar.
Personally I would rather we produced better all rounded footballers, which we have through JVP, Kelly and Steward who has just been been voted by his peers as Englands international player of the season. You can also add to that list the improvements made to Porter and Potters games.
markharbtiger
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by markharbtiger »

Rugbygramps wrote: Thu Jun 02, 2022 4:18 pm
markharbtiger wrote: Thu Jun 02, 2022 4:10 pm I agree about Ilione. I think we've got some v exciting prospects, mainly (though not exclusively) forwards. Nothing wrong with that, but it would be nice to have some more home-grown speedster backs like an Arundell for example
Certainly not having a go but that term speedster has been applied to a couple of players recently notably Kibarige and Radwan, both of whom have rapidly disappeared off the international radar.
Personally I would rather we produced better all rounded footballers, which we have through JVP, Kelly and Steward who has just been been voted by his peers as Englands international player of the season. You can also add to that list the improvements made to Porter and Potters games.
I edited that (but not soon enough) to reflect I was talking about younger players coming through the academy. I certainly didn't mean to say anything negative about some of our younger first team players! My perception (which may not be correct) is we are much stronger producing home grown forwards out of the academy.
ay2oh
Super User
Super User

Post by ay2oh »

markharbtiger wrote: Thu Jun 02, 2022 4:44 pm
Rugbygramps wrote: Thu Jun 02, 2022 4:18 pm
I edited that (but not soon enough) to reflect I was talking about younger players coming through the academy. I certainly didn't mean to say anything negative about some of our younger first team players! My perception (which may not be correct) is we are much stronger producing home grown forwards out of the academy.
In complete contrast to Saints who's academy seems to produce more backs.
A2O