Next season - players to watch

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

TigerFeetSteve
Super User
Super User

Re: Next season - players to watch

Post by TigerFeetSteve »

Odiase is another I'm interested to see, probably just in the PRC this year, but the fact we've signed him despite back row being an area of good depth and youngsters coming through to me suggests we forsee big things for him
Used to run around with an 11, 14 or 15 on my back.
No6_Flanker
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by No6_Flanker »

TigerFeetSteve wrote: Thu Jun 02, 2022 8:04 pm Odiase is another I'm interested to see, probably just in the PRC this year, but the fact we've signed him despite back row being an area of good depth and youngsters coming through to me suggests we forsee big things for him
Good call. He looked talented in the U20 Six Nations game against England. But will he and Ilione both be going for the same shirt?
Cheering on the Tigers in Detroit.
Previously a slower, shorter, less good looking version of Tom Croft.
sam16111986
Super User
Super User

Post by sam16111986 »

No6_Flanker wrote: Thu Jun 02, 2022 11:16 pm
TigerFeetSteve wrote: Thu Jun 02, 2022 8:04 pm Odiase is another I'm interested to see, probably just in the PRC this year, but the fact we've signed him despite back row being an area of good depth and youngsters coming through to me suggests we forsee big things for him
Good call. He looked talented in the U20 Six Nations game against England. But will he and Ilione both be going for the same shirt?
Ilione can play across the backrow. He seems from his under 20 performances to pretty much have the lot. Jumps in the lineout, big hits in defence, carries hard, mobile and actually pretty quick and then he gets over the ball at the breakdown. Didn't see much of his offloading game but that could be fine tuned. The only thing that will stop him making an impact at senior level will be his tendency to get injured, possibly because he competes so hard in every facet of the game.
Rugbygramps
Super User
Super User

Post by Rugbygramps »

I’ve seen Ilione play all across the back row and I believe Odiase can play on either flank so hopefully room for both. A back row in the PRC of Ilione Odiase and Jansen in the would be very good and an average age of around 21
Rugbygramps
Super User
Super User

Post by Rugbygramps »

I’ve seen Ilione play all across the back row and I believe Odiase can play on either flank so hopefully room for both. A back row in the PRC of Ilione Odiase and Jansen in the would be very good and an average age of around 21
No6_Flanker
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by No6_Flanker »

sam16111986 wrote: Fri Jun 03, 2022 8:33 am Ilione can play across the backrow. He seems from his under 20 performances to pretty much have the lot. Jumps in the lineout, big hits in defence, carries hard, mobile and actually pretty quick and then he gets over the ball at the breakdown. Didn't see much of his offloading game but that could be fine tuned. The only thing that will stop him making an impact at senior level will be his tendency to get injured, possibly because he competes so hard in every facet of the game.
This is true, I guess I was thinking he would end up at 7. It will depend on Borthwick’s game plan too, if he sticks with a jumper at 6 then there might be a battle for the other flank.

With Van Staden, Reffell, Ilione, and Odiase on the books, it doesn’t look like there is much room for Robinson. Although if Reffell plays well for Wales this summer then it might make sense to keep an experienced 7 around.
No6_Flanker
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by No6_Flanker »

sam16111986 wrote: Thu Jun 02, 2022 5:23 pm It's likely we'll have have the England under 18 capped midfield combo of Meredith, Woodward and Loose all sign development contracts this summer as well. Meredith and Woodward have already made their PRC debuts.
Kelly, Cokanasiga, and Woodward is great set of young English inside centres. They all have a bit of size to them which allows us to play with a consistent game plan.

Hoping Kelly can break into the England squad (this summer and) next season, which will give Cokanasiga some starting game time. Woodward to play off the bench in the Premiership Rugby Cup, depending on how many positions he can cover. Could he fill in at 10 at a push?
sam16111986
Super User
Super User

Post by sam16111986 »

No6_Flanker wrote: Fri Jun 03, 2022 1:04 pm
sam16111986 wrote: Fri Jun 03, 2022 8:33 am Ilione can play across the backrow. He seems from his under 20 performances to pretty much have the lot. Jumps in the lineout, big hits in defence, carries hard, mobile and actually pretty quick and then he gets over the ball at the breakdown. Didn't see much of his offloading game but that could be fine tuned. The only thing that will stop him making an impact at senior level will be his tendency to get injured, possibly because he competes so hard in every facet of the game.
This is true, I guess I was thinking he would end up at 7. It will depend on Borthwick’s game plan too, if he sticks with a jumper at 6 then there might be a battle for the other flank.

With Van Staden, Reffell, Ilione, and Odiase on the books, it doesn’t look like there is much room for Robinson. Although if Reffell plays well for Wales this summer then it might make sense to keep an experienced 7 around.
Ilione was one of the primary jumpers for England under 20s and the main defensive jumper looking to pick off opposition throws. He's not the tallest but he's so explosive he gets up high and quick.
sam16111986
Super User
Super User

Post by sam16111986 »

No6_Flanker wrote: Fri Jun 03, 2022 1:12 pm
sam16111986 wrote: Thu Jun 02, 2022 5:23 pm It's likely we'll have have the England under 18 capped midfield combo of Meredith, Woodward and Loose all sign development contracts this summer as well. Meredith and Woodward have already made their PRC debuts.
Kelly, Cokanasiga, and Woodward is great set of young English inside centres. They all have a bit of size to them which allows us to play with a consistent game plan.

Hoping Kelly can break into the England squad (this summer and) next season, which will give Cokanasiga some starting game time. Woodward to play off the bench in the Premiership Rugby Cup, depending on how many positions he can cover. Could he fill in at 10 at a push?
I think Woodward could slot in at 10 but with Morgan Meredith also coming through from the academy and being a specialty flyhalf (looked good on his PRC showing) he'll probably be playing there.

Cokanasiga was mentioned as being able to play 13 and wing as well as 12 when we signed him so perhaps Borthwick is viewing him as being similar to Porter and a versatile option. He's certainly got the pace and footwork to slot in further out if he needs to. With those Fijian genes and his age he might naturally bulk up a little as well as he isn't small as is.

I'd have thought Meredith, Woodward and Loose would be getting some game time at Loughborough University, maybe Nottingham if they look more ready for senior rugby.
sam16111986
Super User
Super User

Post by sam16111986 »

No6_Flanker wrote: Fri Jun 03, 2022 1:12 pm

I think Woodward could slot in at 10 but with Morgan Meredith also coming through from the academy and being a specialty flyhalf (looked good on his PRC showing) he'll probably be playing there.

Cokanasiga was mentioned as being able to play 13 and wing as well as 12 when we signed him so perhaps Borthwick is viewing him as being similar to Porter and a versatile option. He's certainly got the pace and footwork to slot in further out if he needs to. With those Fijian genes and his age he might naturally bulk up a little as well as he isn't small as is.

I'd have thought Meredith, Woodward and Loose would be getting some game time at Loughborough University, maybe Nottingham if they look more ready for senior rugby.