Five South Africa teams to play in European competition next year

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

Rugbygramps
Super User
Super User

Re: Five South Africa teams to play in European competition next year

Post by Rugbygramps »

ay2oh wrote: Thu Jun 02, 2022 3:35 pm Will cost Tigers a fortune to take 30 odd players+ other staff at around £700 per flight.
Agreed point I’ve already made you’re looking at £50k a trip potentially taking 2 nights accommodation into account too
Pmvl
Top Cat
Top Cat

Post by Pmvl »

That would be travelling standard class, how would anyone over 6 foot tall feel after 11 hours cramped up? Plus the only direct flights to SA are from London I believe, business class is more like £1700.00 pp I think, I’ve been to SA twice & even though on the same time line 11+ hours of travelling cream crackers you.
Wayne Richardson Fan Club
Super User
Super User

Post by Wayne Richardson Fan Club »

Sitting on a plane is hardly good for elite athlete recovery.

The competition will now be as European as Eurovision....all money driven although I am not sure if the clubs will benefit..it will be interesting to see what size crowds turn up in SA.
To win is not as important as playing with style!
Pmvl
Top Cat
Top Cat

Post by Pmvl »

This might sound sad but I've got TRP's from April ( I use them to light the fire after I've read them) looking at the 8 games played in SA in the TOTAL attendances for all 8 were just over 55K, only 1 game got more than 20K & 1 was just over 10K, doesn't say a lot about support for SA clubs
Robespierre
Super User
Super User

Post by Robespierre »

I too, think it’s an ill- conceived plan. It’s a European competition and long may it remain so.
Semper in excretia
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

Pmvl wrote: Thu Jun 02, 2022 4:24 pm This might sound sad but I've got TRP's from April ( I use them to light the fire after I've read them) looking at the 8 games played in SA in the TOTAL attendances for all 8 were just over 55K, only 1 game got more than 20K & 1 was just over 10K, doesn't say a lot about support for SA clubs
Yes ,grounds always look empty. Let's hope this competition bumps them up a bit.
"Rugby isn't a contact sport,ballroom dancing is a contact sport. Rugby is a collision sport" Heyneke Meyer
wigworth
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by wigworth »

Pmvl wrote: Thu Jun 02, 2022 4:24 pm This might sound sad but I've got TRP's from April ( I use them to light the fire after I've read them) looking at the 8 games played in SA in the TOTAL attendances for all 8 were just over 55K, only 1 game got more than 20K & 1 was just over 10K, doesn't say a lot about support for SA clubs
You would have to imagine that they wouldn't be stupid enough to ever organise a final in SA.
TiltonTiger

Post by TiltonTiger »

Nobody has mentioned the impact of playing at altitude would have on all these European teams. I CBA to check against the teams that have 'qualified' for EUROPE, but I imagine more than one will be playing inland at altitude.
chris111
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by chris111 »

So I’m guessing the carbon audit of the travel involved went something like “yeah, probably quite a lot, but who cares about a climate emergency when there’s money to be made?”
TigerFeetSteve
Super User
Super User

Post by TigerFeetSteve »

I'm just hoping that if we get a South African team it's at a time when our South African contingent are available. Can you imagine if we got it at the end of the Autumn Internationals and Jasper & Marco's families aren't able to watch them, as opportunities for them to watch them are limited.
Used to run around with an 11, 14 or 15 on my back.
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

I can’t prove this and it would just be an educated guess but I would say that those who are against the SA teams being invited would be around the 50-80 age range and those in favour would be younger. Just a hunch but I would be close
"Rugby isn't a contact sport,ballroom dancing is a contact sport. Rugby is a collision sport" Heyneke Meyer
Rugbygramps
Super User
Super User

Post by Rugbygramps »

Possibly not a very representative sample but I make it 13 different posters that have posted on this thread. 1 poster seems to be in favour, the other 12 have made negative comments mainly regarding cost and travel time
jgriffin
Super User
Super User

Post by jgriffin »

Scott1 wrote: Fri Jun 03, 2022 11:00 am I can’t prove this and it would just be an educated guess but I would say that those who are against the SA teams being invited would be around the 50-80 age range and those in favour would be younger. Just a hunch but I would be close
It's called perspective. You may get there one day.
Leicester Tigers 1995-
Nottingham 1995-2000
Swansea (Whites) 1988-95
A game played on grass in the open air by teams of XV.
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

jgriffin wrote: Fri Jun 03, 2022 11:46 am
Scott1 wrote: Fri Jun 03, 2022 11:00 am I can’t prove this and it would just be an educated guess but I would say that those who are against the SA teams being invited would be around the 50-80 age range and those in favour would be younger. Just a hunch but I would be close
It's called perspective. You may get there one day.
It’s called moving with the times mate 👍
wigworth
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by wigworth »

Given that the story didn't leak beforehand accompanied by grumblings from anonymous sources, you might read into it that the clubs in England and France must have been ok with admitting the SA teams in the competition. So clearly they must have been sold on the plan and are privy to much more of the details around the deal to make them comfortable with it.