Five South Africa teams to play in European competition next year

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

Postiger2
Gold Member
Gold Member

Five South Africa teams to play in European competition next year

Post by Postiger2 »

Five South African sides to play in European competition next season - https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/rugby-union/61672195

Discuss...
Rugbygramps
Super User
Super User

Re: Five South Africa teams to play in European competition next year

Post by Rugbygramps »

Disaster, they need this more than European rugby needs South African input.
Away trips down there will be money and energy vacuums for both players and supporters
baz1664
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by baz1664 »

Makes no sense, travel costs will be crazy and the impact of fatigue on players moving from different time zones and playing conditions.

Another staggering decision.
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

Fantastic news! The Welsh teams won 1 game between 3 of them in this seasons top comp and that was a Covid forfeit so them being replaced by SA teams (simplifying it I know) can't help but make the competition better!
And with 1 from SA,Ireland,Wales,Scotland or Italy best placed team qualifying and 4 other best placed teams if the Welsh teams or Glasgow for example want to qualify next time then they will have to perform better in their league which in turn makes the URC more competitive. Win,win all round,I'm well chuffed!
"Rugby isn't a contact sport,ballroom dancing is a contact sport. Rugby is a collision sport" Heyneke Meyer
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

And the "well teams just won't want to qualify for the RCC on purpose" line doesn't wash. URC teams already send teams to SA season long and there are 2 SA teams in the second competition too which will have to be played. Its the pinnacle of club rugby,the idea that teams don't want to compete in the top competition and will try not to qualify on purpose is ludicrous and the ramblings of madmen.
"Rugby isn't a contact sport,ballroom dancing is a contact sport. Rugby is a collision sport" Heyneke Meyer
wigworth
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by wigworth »

I agree with the point that the quality of teams will bring increased competition but I just have a nagging feeling it will create duality in that you either complete for the league or compete hard in Europe. Imagine having to go down to play in SA and the next weekend you have to play Sarries or Quins, what do you think Borthwick would do? When the cap goes up maybe it won't be so much of an issue as we can hopefully have a deeper squad, but it might be a long couple of years waiting for that to happen.

I also hope this is not some sort of back door way of geting SA into the Six Nations.
ay2oh
Super User
Super User

Post by ay2oh »

On a practical level I usually go to some away European games but going toSA would be very expensive and time consuming.
A2O
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

wigworth wrote: Thu Jun 02, 2022 10:14 am I agree with the point that the quality of teams will bring increased competition but I just have a nagging feeling it will create duality in that you either complete for the league or compete hard in Europe. Imagine having to go down to play in SA and the next weekend you have to play Sarries or Quins, what do you think Borthwick would do? When the cap goes up maybe it won't be so much of an issue as we can hopefully have a deeper squad, but it might be a long couple of years waiting for that to happen.

I also hope this is not some sort of back door way of geting SA into the Six Nations.
Always been the same mate though with our poor English teams having to go full bore while Munster/Leinster etc rest 13 or 14 players.
wigworth
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by wigworth »

Scott1 wrote: Thu Jun 02, 2022 10:20 am
wigworth wrote: Thu Jun 02, 2022 10:14 am I agree with the point that the quality of teams will bring increased competition but I just have a nagging feeling it will create duality in that you either complete for the league or compete hard in Europe. Imagine having to go down to play in SA and the next weekend you have to play Sarries or Quins, what do you think Borthwick would do? When the cap goes up maybe it won't be so much of an issue as we can hopefully have a deeper squad, but it might be a long couple of years waiting for that to happen.

Always been the same mate though with our poor English teams having to go full bore while Munster/Leinster etc rest 13 or 14 players.

Hence why I have said unless you get a favourable pool and possible quarter final draw I don't see Prem clubs going full bore home and away especially if you have to do a 11 hour flight down to SA at some point.
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

wigworth wrote: Thu Jun 02, 2022 10:35 am
Scott1 wrote: Thu Jun 02, 2022 10:20 am

Hence why I have said unless you get a favourable pool and possible quarter final draw I don't see Prem clubs going full bore home and away especially if you have to do a 11 hour flight down to SA at some point.
Yes you make a good point now. Iirc we were rotating for our RCC games anyway.
Old Hob
Super User
Super User

Post by Old Hob »

Absurd decision. Based on TV money no doubt. How much rugby are our elite players going to have to play now with a widened European competition? There are a minimum of 24 premiership games, pool stages of the Europeans with greatly increased travel and disruption, then Summer tours, then Autumn internationals, 6 Nations, and every 2 years either a World cup or a Lions tour. And player welfare is top of the agenda? Course it is.

Plus the fact, like most supporters I would find a trip to SA too expensive - and I don't think I would want to go to a place with such a high murder rate anyway.
Omnia dicta fortiora si dicta Latina
TigerFeetSteve
Super User
Super User

Post by TigerFeetSteve »

baz1664 wrote: Thu Jun 02, 2022 9:54 am Makes no sense, travel costs will be crazy and the impact of fatigue on players moving from different time zones and playing conditions.

Not a fan of this decision, but time zones is not an issue, South Africa is currently 1 hour ahead of the UK, the same as most of Europe.
Used to run around with an 11, 14 or 15 on my back.
Rugbygramps
Super User
Super User

Post by Rugbygramps »

TigerFeetSteve wrote: Thu Jun 02, 2022 11:18 am
baz1664 wrote: Thu Jun 02, 2022 9:54 am Makes no sense, travel costs will be crazy and the impact of fatigue on players moving from different time zones and playing conditions.

Not a fan of this decision, but time zones is not an issue, South Africa is currently 1 hour ahead of the UK, the same as most of Europe.
Totally right about the time zones but the 11 hour flight time will be an issue for everyone involved. As others have said purely based on money, no thought for player welfare or supporters
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

So,correct me if I’m wrong,but there’s not really any debate that the competition will be stronger,but other than some worried about player welfare (which won’t be that much different at all) most of the against are for selfish reasons about not being able to see the games live if we draw a SA team? 🤔
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

Can someone explain to me the player welfare angle please? Other than the longer flight and jet lag (which is not that bad I’ve heard going to SA and back). We would be playing someone else anyway if it wasn’t a SA team (who we might not even end up drawing or playing in the knockouts anyway!) so it’s exactly the same number of games and if you look at our squad selections for RCC away games this season we have rotated anyway. So personally that is another narrative that I’m afraid doesn’t wash