Five South Africa teams to play in European competition next year

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

Scott1
Super User
Super User

Re: Five South Africa teams to play in European competition next year

Post by Scott1 »

If it’s getting to you that much maybe you should start a petition to get the SA teams axed,might need more than 12 signatures though 😂
"Rugby isn't a contact sport,ballroom dancing is a contact sport. Rugby is a collision sport" Heyneke Meyer
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

wigworth wrote: Fri Jun 03, 2022 12:07 pm Given that the story didn't leak beforehand accompanied by grumblings from anonymous sources, you might read into it that the clubs in England and France must have been ok with admitting the SA teams in the competition. So clearly they must have been sold on the plan and are privy to much more of the details around the deal to make them comfortable with it.
Nailed it!
"Rugby isn't a contact sport,ballroom dancing is a contact sport. Rugby is a collision sport" Heyneke Meyer
Wayne Richardson Fan Club
Super User
Super User

Post by Wayne Richardson Fan Club »

Scott1 wrote: Fri Jun 03, 2022 12:12 pm
wigworth wrote: Fri Jun 03, 2022 12:07 pm Given that the story didn't leak beforehand accompanied by grumblings from anonymous sources, you might read into it that the clubs in England and France must have been ok with admitting the SA teams in the competition. So clearly they must have been sold on the plan and are privy to much more of the details around the deal to make them comfortable with it.
Nailed it!
Perhaps they should release the details then....the mushroom treatment is spreading.
To win is not as important as playing with style!
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

Wayne Richardson Fan Club wrote: Fri Jun 03, 2022 12:28 pm
Nailed it!
Perhaps they should release the details then....the mushroom treatment is spreading.
It is haha! Some folk are over worrying and I’m probably overselling things. And as always the truth will lie somewhere in the middle. I just sincerely hope it works,for everyone!
peteD

Post by peteD »

Wayne Richardson Fan Club wrote: Fri Jun 03, 2022 12:28 pm
Nailed it!
Perhaps still waiting on signing a sponsorship deal with Emirates :smt045
johnthegriff
Super User
Super User

Post by johnthegriff »

I would guess that the majority of fans who regularly buy tickets to attend matches are against it and ones that just watch on television might be for it regardless of age. Rugby is or was a club game, provincial or international matches are for the Unions who should not be ripping off the ordinary fans and club owners who make for great week in week out competition in England and France, it is not our job to finance South African rugby.
Robespierre
Super User
Super User

Post by Robespierre »

johnthegriff wrote: Mon Jun 06, 2022 4:01 pm I would guess that the majority of fans who regularly buy tickets to attend matches are against it and ones that just watch on television might be for it regardless of age. Rugby is or was a club game, provincial or international matches are for the Unions who should not be ripping off the ordinary fans and club owners who make for great week in week out competition in England and France, it is not our job to finance South African rugby.
This sums it up succinctly.
Semper in excretia
Old Hob
Super User
Super User

Post by Old Hob »

Robespierre wrote: Mon Jun 06, 2022 4:11 pm
johnthegriff wrote: Mon Jun 06, 2022 4:01 pm I would guess that the majority of fans who regularly buy tickets to attend matches are against it and ones that just watch on television might be for it regardless of age. Rugby is or was a club game, provincial or international matches are for the Unions who should not be ripping off the ordinary fans and club owners who make for great week in week out competition in England and France, it is not our job to finance South African rugby.
This sums it up succinctly.
:smt023 :smt023 :smt023
Omnia dicta fortiora si dicta Latina
Rugbygramps
Super User
Super User

Post by Rugbygramps »

Very well put, at the end of the day we won’t know the effect until it has been in operation for a season. My 2 main concerns are the financial impact, unless there is a major sponsorship to be announced, and the potential impact on players and their recovery. At the end of the day if you do draw a South African team it would only be travel for 1 weekend, unless for the knockout rounds.
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

I'm sure all this has already been discussed between the URC/GP/Top14 already. Can't hear any murmurs anywhere about anyone being unhappy,well there is one place obviously and after all this moaning i bet we don't even draw a SA team anyway!
wigworth
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by wigworth »

An interesting article to say the least as to why at least one saffer thinks the English don't want the SA teams in the Champions Cup.

https://www.rugbypass.com/news/the-root ... cup-entry/
jgriffin
Super User
Super User

Post by jgriffin »

wigworth wrote: Wed Jun 08, 2022 1:23 pm An interesting article to say the least as to why at least one saffer thinks the English don't want the SA teams in the Champions Cup.

https://www.rugbypass.com/news/the-root ... cup-entry/
As usual, the historical stuff treats the Brits (yes there were Scots, Welsh and Irish involved too) as if the only appalling behaviour was directed outwards. At roughly the same time, the Crown and Parliament were treating the indigenous population of Britain to threats (gunboats, bellies full of lead) and acts of violence. Focusing down on the English doesn't work well, when you are really talking about the English upper classes - and indeed the males thereof. I'd rather leave the historical baggage behind, than entertain articles like this.
Leicester Tigers 1995-
Nottingham 1995-2000
Swansea (Whites) 1988-95
A game played on grass in the open air by teams of XV.
Noggs
Super User
Super User

Post by Noggs »

Can't say I favour SA joining a European competition (the clue is in the name). If however it is to happen we could resolve the travel problem by SA teams basing themselves somewhere in Europe for the length of the competition. Simples.
Life can be unpredictable, so eat your pudding first!
Northenlad

Post by Northenlad »

I really hope we get The Sharks! My other home team!
If winning isn't everything, why do they bother keeping score?
Dokie
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Dokie »

Noggs wrote: Wed Jun 08, 2022 5:57 pm Can't say I favour SA joining a European competition (the clue is in the name). If however it is to happen we could resolve the travel problem by SA teams basing themselves somewhere in Europe for the length of the competition. Simples.
Great shout!