Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

Old Hob
Super User
Super User

Re: Five South Africa teams to play in European competition next year

Post by Old Hob »

jgriffin wrote: Wed Jun 08, 2022 2:49 pm
wigworth wrote: Wed Jun 08, 2022 1:23 pm An interesting article to say the least as to why at least one saffer thinks the English don't want the SA teams in the Champions Cup.

https://www.rugbypass.com/news/the-root ... cup-entry/
As usual, the historical stuff treats the Brits (yes there were Scots, Welsh and Irish involved too) as if the only appalling behaviour was directed outwards. At roughly the same time, the Crown and Parliament were treating the indigenous population of Britain to threats (gunboats, bellies full of lead) and acts of violence. Focusing down on the English doesn't work well, when you are really talking about the English upper classes - and indeed the males thereof. I'd rather leave the historical baggage behind, than entertain articles like this.
The Boers , of course, were entirely peaceful and the Zulus, previously a small tribe, did not invade all their neighbours to make themselves the dominant military and colonial force in the region . It is an interesting article only in that it shows a one-eyed view of history. At the end of the 19th century every man, regardless of colour, in South Africa had a vote. This was reversed by the Boer government.
Omnia dicta fortiora si dicta Latina
johnthegriff
Super User
Super User

Post by johnthegriff »

The Boers and the British can reflect on what was done by their nations in the past and neither come out with a a lot of credit and the same can be said of most peoples. Over the centuries since man has been on earth tribes, families even nations have moved to new areas or extended their territory for a variety of reasons whether it be for more productive areas for hunter gatherers, for riches, more fertile land or any other purpose. We cannot change what was done in the past so there is no point dwelling on it.
I do not want South Arican teams in the European Cup simply because they are not European and I think it will be bad for the competition and for my team Leicester Tigers. The South African accent has not a factor nor is the inability of actors to reproduce it, they have the same problem with Norfolk, for me the Rugby Pass article is irrelevant.
Old Hob
Super User
Super User

Post by Old Hob »

My South African (and Norfolk) accent is impeccable. I used to pretend to be my (non-existent) SA flat mate and ring up to avoid work. :smt003
Omnia dicta fortiora si dicta Latina
Dangerous4
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Dangerous4 »

What a crankie idea. Surely it's a joke?
TigerFeetSteve
Super User
Super User

Post by TigerFeetSteve »

https://twitter.com/shamdoran/status/15 ... fBGoA&s=19

Thanks to this wonderful thread and our success in the semifinals it's now confirmed what our groupings are in the Champions Cup.

Good news for away match attendees, no South African trips next season.

Our URC opposition will be either
Edinburgh OR Ospreys

Our French opposition will be either
Clermont OR Lyon
Used to run around with an 11, 14 or 15 on my back.
Robespierre
Super User
Super User

Post by Robespierre »

The pools are due to be drawn on June 28th. I’m against the inclusion of the South African teams, but it’s a fait accompli, so we’re obliged to accept it.
Semper in excretia
wigworth
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by wigworth »

TigerFeetSteve wrote: Mon Jun 13, 2022 7:56 pm https://twitter.com/shamdoran/status/15 ... fBGoA&s=19

Thanks to this wonderful thread and our success in the semifinals it's now confirmed what our groupings are in the Champions Cup.

Edinburgh OR Ospreys

Clermont OR Lyon
I would be pretty happy if we get Edinburgh and Lyon for a bit of variety of opposition.
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

All those moaning about the SA teams and we can't even draw them 😂
"Rugby isn't a contact sport,ballroom dancing is a contact sport. Rugby is a collision sport" Heyneke Meyer
Robespierre
Super User
Super User

Post by Robespierre »

wigworth wrote: Mon Jun 13, 2022 8:25 pm
TigerFeetSteve wrote: Mon Jun 13, 2022 7:56 pm https://twitter.com/shamdoran/status/15 ... fBGoA&s=19

Edinburgh OR Ospreys

Clermont OR Lyon
I would be pretty happy if we get Edinburgh and Lyon for a bit of variety of opposition.
Edinburgh and Lyon would be two very good away trips!
Semper in excretia
jgriffin
Super User
Super User

Post by jgriffin »

Robespierre wrote: Mon Jun 13, 2022 9:39 pm
wigworth wrote: Mon Jun 13, 2022 8:25 pm

Edinburgh OR Ospreys

Clermont OR Lyon
Edinburgh and Lyon would be two very good away trips!
Deffo prefer Edinburgh over SA! Totally against SA teams, and think Welsh rugby in particular is going to DAI :smt003 as a result of their involvement in URC and ECC.
Leicester Tigers 1995-
Nottingham 1995-2000
Swansea (Whites) 1988-95
A game played on grass in the open air by teams of XV.
johnthegriff
Super User
Super User

Post by johnthegriff »

Edingburgh would be good, i could stay with my son in Linlithgow, Lyon a lovely city stayed there for the Heineken Cup Final a few years ago, excellent bars and restaurants, famous for cooking offal in many ways and a very interesting church to visit overlooking the city, just hope the funicular railway is working because it is a steep climb if it isn't.
wigworth
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by wigworth »

Does anyone know when the last time we played Edinburgh in a competitive match was? The only match I can remember was a preseason one quite a few years ago now.
jgriffin
Super User
Super User

Post by jgriffin »

wigworth wrote: Wed Jun 15, 2022 12:05 pm Does anyone know when the last time we played Edinburgh in a competitive match was? The only match I can remember was a preseason one quite a few years ago now.
Yep, it was at Melrose and was rubbish.
Leicester Tigers 1995-
Nottingham 1995-2000
Swansea (Whites) 1988-95
A game played on grass in the open air by teams of XV.
johnthegriff
Super User
Super User

Post by johnthegriff »

Not checked the year but probably about 2007 or 8 it was very cold with snow and ice on the ground, my son and daughter in Law took me to Edinburgh zoo which is hilly and slippy, all animals except the penguins had better sense than to come out and look at people and I slipped onto my backside. The game was weird, about 5000 fans in Murrayfield all on one side, no atmosphere and we lost.
The Melrose friendly was rubbish but I liked Melrose, a lovely clubhouse and friendly people. Little Ian now sadly missed but until just pre-pandemic a regular traveler with The Away Supporters Club for some strange reason was a member of Melrose Rugby Club, he renewed his membership whilst on that trip and through that got tickets for a Scotland v England international, he took Dave Johnson with him, I have heard the stories but am not at liberty to reveal. for old guys they were a right pair.