Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

wigworth
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: European finals weekend - May 2022

Post by wigworth »

Scott1 wrote: Sun May 29, 2022 9:29 pm
wigworth wrote: Sun May 29, 2022 9:20 pm I wonder if we will get any more puff pieces this week extolling the virtues of Lancaster as a magic coach?
Not now they've lost,wouldn't have heard the last of it of they'd won!
Such a shame, it is quite amusing reading the various columnists wet them self with glee at the slightest chance of anybody possibly replacing Eddie Jones.

I guess Lancaster best be ready to show his coaching credentials as I don't fancy any team playing the final of the URC in South Africa against any of the SA teams if they manage to get there.
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

Looked back of the neck for me and red
https://rugby365.com/tournaments/super- ... i-referee/
"Rugby isn't a contact sport,ballroom dancing is a contact sport. Rugby is a collision sport" Heyneke Meyer
BengalTiger

Post by BengalTiger »

Barnes allowed a cynical Leinster team to play on his weakness for allowing the game to flow, as early as the end of the first half, under penalty advantage on the 5m line Leinster repeatedly came round the side of the ruck, flopping over on the ball, eventually the attack petered out, it should have been a yellow all day long but he just went back for the original penalty, very poor from Barnes, he can do better but his poor matches are getting more frequent, a bit like like Owen's when he came to the end of his sell by date.
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

So it looks like its nailed on for next season then! Sharks,Bulls and Stormers are in the top competition with only one Welsh club Ospreys and one Scottish Club Edinburgh so far.Can't wait! Hope we draw The Bulls 🤞
Teams qualified so far:
Gloc,Quins,Leicester, Saints, Sarries,Exeter
Bordeaux,Castres,Montpellier,La Rochelle, Leon
Leinster,Ulster,Bulls,Sharks,Stormers,Edinburgh, Ospreys
"Rugby isn't a contact sport,ballroom dancing is a contact sport. Rugby is a collision sport" Heyneke Meyer
Tigerbeat

Post by Tigerbeat »

Scott1 wrote: Tue May 31, 2022 9:41 am So it looks like its nailed on for next season then! Sharks,Bulls and Stormers are in the top competition with only one Welsh club
Where are you finding this information?
SUPPORT THE MATT HAMPSON TRUST
www.matthampson.co.uk
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

Tigerbeat wrote: Tue May 31, 2022 10:32 am
Scott1 wrote: Tue May 31, 2022 9:41 am So it looks like its nailed on for next season then! Sharks,Bulls and Stormers are in the top competition with only one Welsh club
Stuart Barnes latest piece said they were definitely included so I went to Wikipedia and they have added the teams already that have qualified for next seasons competition. I have read some other stories that it’s not a done deal yet but surely it has to be for the 3 leagues qualification purposes and to know what they are playing for on the last day.They are either definitely in or not and everything points to them being included for next year.
Tigerbeat

Post by Tigerbeat »

Scott1 wrote: Tue May 31, 2022 10:51 am
Stuart Barnes latest piece said they were definitely included so I went to Wikipedia and they have added the teams already that have qualified for next seasons competition. I have read some other stories that it’s not a done deal yet but surely it has to be for the 3 leagues qualification purposes and to know what they are playing for on the last day.They are either definitely in or not and everything points to them being included for next year.
I could not find anything definitive.........lots of speculation and rumours. EPCR need to confirm it soon if this is the case. Personally dont want South African teams in a European Competition.......very costly to Clubs to play games away from home at a time when clubs are struggling with finances to maintain domestic and European Rugby.
SUPPORT THE MATT HAMPSON TRUST
www.matthampson.co.uk
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

Tigerbeat wrote: Tue May 31, 2022 11:13 am
I could not find anything definitive.........lots of speculation and rumours. EPCR need to confirm it soon if this is the case. Personally dont want South African teams in a European Competition.......very costly to Clubs to play games away from home at a time when clubs are struggling with finances to maintain domestic and European Rugby.
Yes I can find it everywhere apart from the EPCR website,and that’s all the counts. I can understand your fears but for me they make the competition stronger,the Welsh clubs have been dreadful this season and if the SA teams make the competition better (which I’m sure they will because they will be desperate to win it on their first attempt) I’m all for it!
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

And to add,I used to hate it when the whipping boys were guaranteed qualification from the PRO12/14 and you had one or two groups with everyone guaranteed 10 points over 2 games and the best placed qualifiers always coming from those groups! Now it’s 1 team from Ireland,Wales,Scotland and SA with the rest coming from being best placed in their 2 league groups. So if the other Scottish,Welsh,Irish/Italian teams don’t want the SA teams in the competition then perform better in your league,simple!
Last edited by Scott1 on Tue May 31, 2022 11:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
wigworth
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by wigworth »

If the SA clubs are in the competition I have a feeling most Prem teams will take a long hard look at the pools they are in and how the knock out stages might theoretically play out, unless you have a nice path to the later stages it might not be worth competing all that hard in it.
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

wigworth wrote: Tue May 31, 2022 11:29 am

If the SA clubs are in the competition I have a feeling most Prem teams will take a long hard look at the pools they are in and how the knock out stages might theoretically play out, unless you have a nice path to the later stages it might not be worth competing all that hard in it.
Don’t think that would happen mate,there’s a chance you could come a cropper! I’m sure they will play all out to win every game.
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

Tigers v Bulls
Stormers v Leinster
Sharks v Toulon
(All examples but yes please!!!!)
wigworth
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by wigworth »

Scott1 wrote: Tue May 31, 2022 11:32 am

Don’t think that would happen mate,there’s a chance you could come a cropper! I’m sure they will play all out to win every game.
I just don't think given the new constrained finances and how tight the league is likely to be, that realistically any English club next year will be targeting winning the Champions Cup.
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

wigworth wrote: Tue May 31, 2022 11:40 am
Scott1 wrote: Tue May 31, 2022 11:32 am

I just don't think given the new constrained finances and how tight the league is likely to be, that realistically any English club next year will be targeting winning the Champions Cup.
That would be a shame! Have to favour Leinster at present with the final at the Aviva.
Old Hob
Super User
Super User

Post by Old Hob »

I agree with Tigerbeat and Wigworth; the expense of popping back and forward to SA may be a step too far for some clubs. I understand the attraction, not least that the SA are in the same time zone but it just seems a scheme dreamt up by people with too much money who want to make more. SA would do better in the long term bringing on countries close to them.
Omnia dicta fortiora si dicta Latina