European finals weekend - May 2022

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

wigworth
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: European finals weekend - May 2022

Post by wigworth »

mol2 wrote: Tue May 31, 2022 2:34 pm I fear the European Cup is in danger of dying from a British TV angle.

The English clubs cannot compete with the consequences of the salary cap. The Welsh regions don't seem to get their act together. The Scottish clubs don't have the money to compete and that leaves the French megabucks clubs and the Irish Provinces/training squads. Is a France - Ireland cup going to switch on a big audience outside of France and Ireland?

Are Sky or BT going to shell out a fortune when their market becomes disinterested? Adding in a few South African sides won't bring a lot of revenue to the UK TV companies if the English clubs accept they have no chance of winning and turn out weakened sides to concentrate on the winnable fixtures in the league and their fans decide not to watch.
This is where I fear it may end up going, despite what the other counties feel if the English clubs/ fans simply say no thank you to the tournament the whole thing is likely to go down.
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

Tigerbeat wrote: Tue May 31, 2022 2:38 pm
Scott1 wrote: Tue May 31, 2022 2:15 pm
Tigerbeat wrote: Tue May 31, 2022 1:16 pm
If you want to make the competition stronger, why not invite teams from Argentina, New Zealand and Australia etc? Each Club and countries Union have to work within their financial means and develop players. Whilst it would be good for the fans to watch it may be detrimental to some of the clubs. Travelling to South Africa is a 11/12 hour flight each way so would restrict training at clubs or alternately cost an arm and a leg for flights, accommodation for team and all the backroom staff.
Argentinian,Ozzie or Kiwi teams don't play in the URC
Exactly, but if you want to make the competition stronger just invite everyone, not just URC teams..... :smt005
Touché 😂👍
"Rugby isn't a contact sport,ballroom dancing is a contact sport. Rugby is a collision sport" Heyneke Meyer
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

It’s not in danger for me. People will still get excited for Sarries v Toulon,Tigers v Leinster,Quins throwing the ball about v Toulouse,Chiefs drawing Montpellier again etc. There’s still something magic about it,IMO it will get bigger. If the Welsh teams don’t get their act together then they just won’t qualify. It’s not as if they have been setting it alight lately anyway. The obituary is rather premature for me I’m afraid
"Rugby isn't a contact sport,ballroom dancing is a contact sport. Rugby is a collision sport" Heyneke Meyer
Rugbygramps
Super User
Super User

Post by Rugbygramps »

IMHO opinion having the South African sides joining makes no sense for the English premiership sides either on the pitch or financially. I have no doubt this being pushed by the Irish and the French and if so they should be told to set up their own tournament. English premiership Welsh and Scots regions can then have their own tournament with plenty of competitive games and less financial burden
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

Rugbygramps wrote: Tue May 31, 2022 4:16 pm IMHO opinion having the South African sides joining makes no sense for the English premiership sides either on the pitch or financially. I have no doubt this being pushed by the Irish and the French and if so they should be told to set up their own tournament. English premiership Welsh and Scots regions can then have their own tournament with plenty of competitive games and less financial burden
Could think of nothing worse! Unless,it’s like the new version of the LV Cup then I’m all ears but as an elite European competition then it’s a big no from me
Tiglon
Super User
Super User

Post by Tiglon »

Rugbygramps wrote: Tue May 31, 2022 4:16 pm IMHO opinion having the South African sides joining makes no sense for the English premiership sides either on the pitch or financially. I have no doubt this being pushed by the Irish and the French and if so they should be told to set up their own tournament. English premiership Welsh and Scots regions can then have their own tournament with plenty of competitive games and less financial burden
What financial burden? Are you saying English clubs lose money by being in the Champions Cup?
Rugbygramps
Super User
Super User

Post by Rugbygramps »

Tiglon wrote: Tue May 31, 2022 6:53 pm
What financial burden? Are you saying English clubs lose money by being in the Champions Cup?
Apologies I meant not having to play in South Africa would remove potential burden.
As an aside I’m not sure that over 2 rounds of home and away that much money is made from the European cup when all expenses are taken into account
Smudge
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Smudge »

I seem to remember that Tigers made a loss the two seasons we won the competition or have I imagined that?
A life long Tiger
Tigerbeat

Post by Tigerbeat »

Smudge wrote: Wed Jun 01, 2022 10:07 am I seem to remember that Tigers made a loss the two seasons we won the competition or have I imagined that?
I believe that is correct. The EDF Cup was more rewarding.
SUPPORT THE MATT HAMPSON TRUST
www.matthampson.co.uk
Rugbygramps
Super User
Super User

Post by Rugbygramps »

Tigerbeat wrote: Wed Jun 01, 2022 10:27 am
Smudge wrote: Wed Jun 01, 2022 10:07 am I seem to remember that Tigers made a loss the two seasons we won the competition or have I imagined that?
I believe that is correct. The EDF Cup was more rewarding.
Thanks Tigerbeat I knew I had heard something along those lines. In Europe this season Tigers have had to travel to Clermont , Bordeaux, and Connacht. The cost of taking a match day squad plus non playing reserves plus support staff, I would imagine not much less than 50 people in total must be £40k - £50k
BengalTiger

Post by BengalTiger »

That is an interesting point, does anyone know how the financial cake is divided between the clubs, we all like to be in it but what is the cost / reward?
Rugbygramps
Super User
Super User

Post by Rugbygramps »

BengalTiger wrote: Wed Jun 01, 2022 11:39 am That is an interesting point, does anyone know how the financial cake is divided between the clubs, we all like to be in it but what is the cost / reward?
Bengal I may be wrong but I have a feeling that when it is home and away you get to keep what is made from your game, with TV revenue being split more evenly.
A game such as the Leinster match for instance the game day revenue would be split more evenly.

This of course could all be wrong and I’m talking out of my orifice
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

sapajo
Super User
Super User

Post by sapajo »

Scott1 wrote: Thu Jun 02, 2022 9:18 am SA sides confirmed,yesssssss!
https://m.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/sport/ ... 13307.html
Oh no :smt012
Without hope we are nothing, keep the faith, a Tiger for eternity
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

sapajo wrote: Thu Jun 02, 2022 9:19 am
Scott1 wrote: Thu Jun 02, 2022 9:18 am SA sides confirmed,yesssssss!
https://m.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/sport/ ... 13307.html
Oh no :smt012
Great news for me,makes the competition better and hopefully it will give the URC the kick up the butt it needs now teams know they have to do better to guarantee qualification. Win win all round!