European finals weekend - May 2022

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

jgriffin
Super User
Super User

Re: European finals weekend - May 2022

Post by jgriffin »

johnthegriff wrote: Thu Jun 02, 2022 1:39 pm For me when I talk about rugby I often use the word " club " the European Champions Cup is not a cup competition as I think it should be it is already spoiled by various national Union funded provinces being given an unfair advantage and to bring South Africa into the the competition just makes it worse. Travel costs for the clubs funded largely by bums on seats will increase which may well be reflected in increases in the price of season and Premiership match tickets, most fans will be unable to follow their team when they play in South Africa and they may well be discouraged from travelling to Munster, Bordeaux, Toulon and Treviso when they have to accept that their dream of being there to see their team win a Heineken Cup Final is impossible.
O.K the competition may be stronger for the inclusion of Southern Hemisphere teams and that is alright for those watching on television and neutrals, but those who actually enjoy attending live rugby may be discouraged and may well consider whether it is worthwhile bothering to follow their team to actual matches home and away.
For me the Welsh and the Scottish Unions are unable to properly fund their provincial teams and they should concentrate on developing decent club competition with outside even if it means agreeing to join the Premiership.
Agree fully. My view for the last decade or so. :smt038
Leicester Tigers 1995-
Nottingham 1995-2000
Swansea (Whites) 1988-95
A game played on grass in the open air by teams of XV.
sam16111986
Super User
Super User

Post by sam16111986 »

Scott1 wrote: Fri Jun 03, 2022 9:18 am
sam16111986 wrote: Thu Jun 02, 2022 10:15 pm
wigworth wrote: Thu Jun 02, 2022 6:03 pm I'm not quite sure why you think regionalised teams are next, has there has ever been any serious mention of English clubs disbanding and becoming regions?
There's no chance. The CVC will want a return on their investment. Destroying the club system with decades of rivalry which is a guaranteed draw to attempt a regional system which may well have limited to no buy in is very high risk and unlikely to see that ROI. The Irish system works because the provinces were long established and the rivalry ingrained, the Welsh system is the opposite and is failing.

I think it's more likely that CVC will want pre season tours to go to international venues like the States, Asia etc to try and garner support from the international stage. We're already seeing the Premiership showcase event on free to air, more promotional stuff and exposing is very likely.
Wasn't there talk about an extra game being added or did Sarries play in America? Something like that
Yeah a few years back Sarries played a game Vs I think Newcastle in the States. It was a one sided slaughter though Wyles was still playing at the time so at least the American fans got to celebrate one of their own scoring.
Tiglon
Super User
Super User

Post by Tiglon »

Tigers sent a 2nd XV to France and Ireland this season, why is it so much more of a problem if they send a 2nd XV to South Africa instead?

It's going to be one or two matches every other season at most. I understand and respect people's reservations, but I'm not convinced it's going to be such a big drama.