Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

Tigerbeat

Re: European finals weekend - May 2022

Post by Tigerbeat »

Scott1 wrote: Tue May 31, 2022 11:33 am Tigers v Bulls
Stormers v Leinster
Sharks v Toulon
(All examples but yes please!!!!)
Okay with those but not as part of every season........every two or four years would be okay
SUPPORT THE MATT HAMPSON TRUST
www.matthampson.co.uk
Tiglon
Super User
Super User

Post by Tiglon »

Looking at the 23 that Tigers named for most of their Champions Cup matches this season, I'd say it is already far from a priority.

Will they change the name of the competition to the Greenwich Mean Time +/-2 Champions Cup? Or I suppose if we're being pedantic it should be the Greenwich Mean Time +/-2 Champions And Not Quite Champions But Still Did Well In Their League Or Were At Least The Best Team From Their Country Cup. Snappy.

If it makes the competition stronger then it's hard to argue against for me, unless it will be to the detriment of European clubs that are pushed out?
Tigerbeat

Post by Tigerbeat »

Tiglon wrote: Tue May 31, 2022 1:05 pm Looking at the 23 that Tigers named for most of their Champions Cup matches this season, I'd say it is already far from a priority.

Will they change the name of the competition to the Greenwich Mean Time +/-2 Champions Cup? Or I suppose if we're being pedantic it should be the Greenwich Mean Time +/-2 Champions And Not Quite Champions But Still Did Well In Their League Or Were At Least The Best Team From Their Country Cup. Snappy.

If it makes the competition stronger then it's hard to argue against for me, unless it will be to the detriment of European clubs that are pushed out?
If you want to make the competition stronger, why not invite teams from Argentina, New Zealand and Australia etc? Each Club and countries Union have to work within their financial means and develop players. Whilst it would be good for the fans to watch it may be detrimental to some of the clubs. Travelling to South Africa is a 11/12 hour flight each way so would restrict training at clubs or alternately cost an arm and a leg for flights, accommodation for team and all the backroom staff.
www.matthampson.co.uk
GB72
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by GB72 »

Tiglon wrote: Tue May 31, 2022 1:05 pm Looking at the 23 that Tigers named for most of their Champions Cup matches this season, I'd say it is already far from a priority.

This is a concern for me, either clubs in Europe will be pushed out or the fixture list will be even more congested and that is before the cost of playing away matches as well as the impact of travel times etc.

It is somewhat concerning that SA and their clubs are pushing for access to the funds raised by successful European competitions at club and internation level rather then focusing on their traditional sphere of influence to gain revenue. It is equally frustrating that the European sides are going for this rather than using any space to grow and develop the game on their own continent. Look at a club world cup every few years by all means but I just cannot see the benefit of this.
Tiglon
Super User
Super User

Post by Tiglon »

Tigerbeat wrote: Tue May 31, 2022 1:16 pm

If you want to make the competition stronger, why not invite teams from Argentina, New Zealand and Australia etc? Each Club and countries Union have to work within their financial means and develop players. Whilst it would be good for the fans to watch it may be detrimental to some of the clubs. Travelling to South Africa is a 11/12 hour flight each way so would restrict training at clubs or alternately cost an arm and a leg for flights, accommodation for team and all the backroom staff.
Time differences, is the answer to question 1.

How much more does it cost to take a team to SA twice every few years compared to Italy? If fans enjoy it more and "European" rugby is opened up to the SA audience, then does that not mean more money coming into the competition and more money for the clubs?
chewbacca
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by chewbacca »

World super cup. Clubs will become Irish province. 1st team only for world cup games. People can enjoy the second division games whilst they last(See Wales and Ireland)
I'm not cynical just experienced
Tiglon
Super User
Super User

Post by Tiglon »

GB72 wrote: Tue May 31, 2022 1:19 pm

This is a concern for me, either clubs in Europe will be pushed out or the fixture list will be even more congested and that is before the cost of playing away matches as well as the impact of travel times etc.

It is somewhat concerning that SA and their clubs are pushing for access to the funds raised by successful European competitions at club and internation level rather then focusing on their traditional sphere of influence to gain revenue. It is equally frustrating that the European sides are going for this rather than using any space to grow and develop the game on their own continent. Look at a club world cup every few years by all means but I just cannot see the benefit of this.
I assume the perceived benefits are:

1) Opening up the competition to a bigger audience = more TV rights and sponsorship £
2) More competitive competition = bigger audiences = more TV rights, sponsorship and gate receipts £
3) Both sides see it as mutually beneficial because both are bringing something (a fan base) to the table and both are gaining from it.
GB72
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by GB72 »

Tiglon wrote: Tue May 31, 2022 1:41 pm

How much more does it cost to take a team to SA twice every few years compared to Italy? If fans enjoy it more and "European" rugby is opened up to the SA audience, then does that not mean more money coming into the competition and more money for the clubs?
I am not sure. If there is such a market for club rugby in SA, why are they looking to play in other leagues rather then develop their domestic offering. I would also consider who is being bumped out of the competition before considering the benefits.

How much will be received in gate receipts from SA clubs to cover the more expensive flights, a few days accomodation etc. Will there be added TV revenue.

It is not that expensive and certainly not as time consuming for fans to take a trip to Italy. Would many really bother to spend a couple of thousand pounds to watch a match in SA.
Tiglon
Super User
Super User

Post by Tiglon »

GB72 wrote: Tue May 31, 2022 1:53 pm
Tiglon wrote: Tue May 31, 2022 1:41 pm

I am not sure. If there is such a market for club rugby in SA, why are they looking to play in other leagues rather then develop their domestic offering. I would also consider who is being bumped out of the competition before considering the benefits.

How much will be received in gate receipts from SA clubs to cover the more expensive flights, a few days accomodation etc. Will there be added TV revenue.

It is not that expensive and certainly not as time consuming for fans to take a trip to Italy. Would many really bother to spend a couple of thousand pounds to watch a match in SA.
I think it's much less about how many fans will travel to SA for a match, and more about how many more fans might turn on a TV to watch the match, because that's where the money is.
Tigerbeat

Post by Tigerbeat »

GB72 wrote: Tue May 31, 2022 1:53 pm It is not that expensive and certainly not as time consuming for fans to take a trip to Italy. Would many really bother to spend a couple of thousand pounds to watch a match in SA.
Travel time to SA - 12 hours, check in time, travel to airport, SA immigration - it is time consuming and certainly not a weekend trip and costly.
More time consuming than going to Italy.
www.matthampson.co.uk
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

The clubs that you think could be pushed out have a simple choice,do better in your league and then you will qualify! Won't that make the URC a better league? Why not? If it stays at 24 teams,top 8 from GP,top 8 from top14 and the top Irish/Welsh/SA/Scottish team and then best 4 placed teams then the best only qualify,I'm absolutely OK with that!
"Rugby isn't a contact sport,ballroom dancing is a contact sport. Rugby is a collision sport" Heyneke Meyer
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

Argentinian,Ozzie or Kiwi teams don't play in the URC
"Rugby isn't a contact sport,ballroom dancing is a contact sport. Rugby is a collision sport" Heyneke Meyer
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

Unless we just leave the Welsh teams in it then (sorry to pick on them but have you saw their recent records?!).
mol2
Super User
Super User

Post by mol2 »

I fear the European Cup is in danger of dying from a British TV angle.

The English clubs cannot compete with the consequences of the salary cap. The Welsh regions don't seem to get their act together. The Scottish clubs don't have the money to compete and that leaves the French megabucks clubs and the Irish Provinces/training squads. Is a France - Ireland cup going to switch on a big audience outside of France and Ireland?

Are Sky or BT going to shell out a fortune when their market becomes disinterested? Adding in a few South African sides won't bring a lot of revenue to the UK TV companies if the English clubs accept they have no chance of winning and turn out weakened sides to concentrate on the winnable fixtures in the league and their fans decide not to watch.
Tigerbeat

Post by Tigerbeat »

Scott1 wrote: Tue May 31, 2022 2:15 pm

Argentinian,Ozzie or Kiwi teams don't play in the URC
Exactly, but if you want to make the competition stronger just invite everyone, not just URC teams..... :smt005
www.matthampson.co.uk