Scott1
Super User
Super User

Re: European finals weekend - May 2022

Post by Scott1 »

sam16111986 wrote: Sat May 28, 2022 7:30 pm
Scott1 wrote: Sat May 28, 2022 7:14 pm
sam16111986 wrote: Sat May 28, 2022 7:12 pm

Pantomime stuff isn't it. Wasn't an easy game to officiate, he could have pinged more and dished out cards for both sides for multiple infringements but generally kept the game flowing and got the big decisions right.
I still think Furlong brought that scrum penalty but its not called the dark arts for nothing! Other than that yes I agree with your post.
Very much agree, Barnes is only human and Furlong wouldn't be considered one of the best tightheads in the world if he couldn't milk a penalty under pressure. If DC or Heyes had done the same for us we'd love it. Such is rugby.
Spot on once again Sam! Your posts are very much a calming influence at times 👍
"Rugby isn't a contact sport,ballroom dancing is a contact sport. Rugby is a collision sport" Heyneke Meyer
Big Dai
Super User
Super User

Post by Big Dai »

What was Marty Hopkirk doing in the punditry team?
Exile Wigstonite living in Wales.
Poet laureate of the "One Eyed Turk".
Bar stool philosopher in the "Wilted Daffodil"
Canuck

Post by Canuck »

My local in Ste Foy la Grande was hopping - the patron and his wife have links with La Rochelle. A superb victory, well earned - how often are Leinster tryless ? The French always like to show their dislike of authority so nothing personal against Wayne - except that he’s English !
loretta
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by loretta »

Big Dai wrote: Sat May 28, 2022 8:34 pm What was Marty Hopkirk doing in the punditry team?
:smt005
In my defence, I was left unsupervised….
Rugbygramps
Super User
Super User

Post by Rugbygramps »

Lutontiger wrote: Sat May 28, 2022 6:20 pm La Rochelle’s Liebenberg looks like ours - are they related?
Brother I’m sure they said he was retiring at the end of the season.
Rugbygramps
Super User
Super User

Post by Rugbygramps »

Big Dai wrote: Sat May 28, 2022 8:34 pm What was Marty Hopkirk doing in the punditry team?
I thought it was the man from Del Monte
longlivethecrumbie
Super User
Super User

Post by longlivethecrumbie »

Rugbygramps wrote: Sun May 29, 2022 10:08 am
Lutontiger wrote: Sat May 28, 2022 6:20 pm La Rochelle’s Liebenberg looks like ours - are they related?
Yes, he's going into a career in finance I believe - I want to say he's not that old either.
Rugbygramps
Super User
Super User

Post by Rugbygramps »

longlivethecrumbie wrote: Sun May 29, 2022 11:32 am
Rugbygramps wrote: Sun May 29, 2022 10:08 am
Yes, he's going into a career in finance I believe - I want to say he's not that old either.
Early thirties I believe
TigerFeetSteve
Super User
Super User

Post by TigerFeetSteve »

Amazingly I've been seeing quite a few posts on Twitter from Irish people saying Barnes had a terrible game (I thought he did ok, but could understand some upset La Rochelle fans) however these fans seem to be claiming Barnes was tantamount to a 16th man for La Rochelle. My goodness, some people have blinkers on. Not gonna lie I see decisions with my Tigers tinted glasses on but I ain't that bad. You'd definitely say that Leinster got the lions share of the 50:50's yesterday
Used to run around with an 11, 14 or 15 on my back.
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

TigerFeetSteve wrote: Sun May 29, 2022 7:37 pm Amazingly I've been seeing quite a few posts on Twitter from Irish people saying Barnes had a terrible game (I thought he did ok, but could understand some upset La Rochelle fans) however these fans seem to be claiming Barnes was tantamount to a 16th man for La Rochelle. My goodness, some people have blinkers on. Not gonna lie I see decisions with my Tigers tinted glasses on but I ain't that bad. You'd definitely say that Leinster got the lions share of the 50:50's yesterday
Hahaha they want some cheese with that whine? If anything Leinster got the rub of the green with the decisions (Furlongs scrum penalty that should've gone the other way and the longest none warning for a yellow run of consecutive penalties in the 22 I think I've seen!)
If anything they should be looking at why they were undercooked,we know why and a part of me is glad that it backfired on them even if it isn't in with the spirit of the game!
"Rugby isn't a contact sport,ballroom dancing is a contact sport. Rugby is a collision sport" Heyneke Meyer
LE18
Super User
Super User

Post by LE18 »

TigerFeetSteve wrote: Sun May 29, 2022 7:37 pm Amazingly I've been seeing quite a few posts on Twitter from Irish people saying Barnes had a terrible game (I thought he did ok, but could understand some upset La Rochelle fans) however these fans seem to be claiming Barnes was tantamount to a 16th man for La Rochelle. My goodness, some people have blinkers on. Not gonna lie I see decisions with my Tigers tinted glasses on but I ain't that bad. You'd definitely say that Leinster got the lions share of the 50:50's yesterday
Leinster should count themselves lucky at the end, 5 or 6 penalties in red zone and no yellow cards or penalty try, Wayne was very lenient there.
Rugbygramps
Super User
Super User

Post by Rugbygramps »

They blew it and I have a feeling that may be their last chance for a while. Few in the leadership group are in the final throws of their career
wigworth
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by wigworth »

I wonder if we will get any more puff pieces this week extolling the virtues of Lancaster as a magic coach?
JohnB

Post by JohnB »

Despite the pantomime booing from the La Rochelle supporters in the stadium they were great fun and very pleasant to chat with before the game. I thought that Wayne Barnes had a good match, he tried to keep the game flowing and indeed could have given lots more penalties and cards to both sides. Leinster were very lucky not to concede a YC and/or a penalty try in the last 8 minutes of the game. I was disappointed that we did not kick to the corner for some of the penalties given how well our maul was going . However, we tightened up as the game progressed. LAR deserved the victory as one cannot argue with three tries to Nil. I thought the stadium was very impressive though there was a touch of vertigo city at the top of the arcs in each quadrant. A pal who sat there texted me on arrival to say that he needed to send out for a Sherpa to bring him some oxygen! Disappointed with the result but the Final was a grand occasion all the same.
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

wigworth wrote: Sun May 29, 2022 9:20 pm I wonder if we will get any more puff pieces this week extolling the virtues of Lancaster as a magic coach?
Not now they've lost,wouldn't have heard the last of it of they'd won!