Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

TigerFeetSteve
Super User
Super User

Players Awards

Post by TigerFeetSteve »

https://www.leicestertigers.com/news/vo ... f-the-year

New player of the year

I voted Freddie Burns, has been fantastic for us over the season, Ashton making a late dart but not here the full season so misses ou IMO.

Young player of the year

I went Dan Kelly, so important and influential to us now, and he's being sorely missed

Player of the year

Montoya, the one the only!
Used to run around with an 11, 14 or 15 on my back.
bendy

Re: Players Awards

Post by bendy »

Agreeing with you on 2 out of 3 there.

I will say one thing though - that young player of the year is a hell of a pool of candidates isn't it?? Incredible stuff.
ads
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by ads »

I went Burns, Kelly and Wiese. Could easily, and totally justifably gone with different choices for each category though.
Hot_Charlie
Super User
Super User

Post by Hot_Charlie »

Porter. Every day of the week.
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

Ashton,Kelly,Montoya for me. Although Liebenberg,Weise and Porter are great shouts for the latter category
"Rugby isn't a contact sport,ballroom dancing is a contact sport. Rugby is a collision sport" Heyneke Meyer
RunTigerRun
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by RunTigerRun »

Reffell has to be in either Young Player or Player of the Season for me.

Newcomer is close, probably Burns shades it. Then Kelly for a Young Player and Reffell for Player IMO.

Great to have such a strong shortlist!
ay2oh
Super User
Super User

Post by ay2oh »

I went for Ashton, Kelly and Steward.
A2O
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Post by RagingBull »

Burns
Chessum
Reffell
ads
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by ads »

Why is Leibenburg not on the list? I probably would have voted for him.
Tigerbeat

Post by Tigerbeat »

Newcomer should go to Nic Dolly........
SUPPORT THE MATT HAMPSON TRUST
www.matthampson.co.uk
Rod
Top Cat
Top Cat

Post by Rod »

My player of the year, Harry Wells, not even included.
aslongaswebeatsaints
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by aslongaswebeatsaints »

I’m just delighted we are back to players with a Tigers Heart. But for me Burns, Steward, Montoya. I know we are a team of exceptional emerging talent and evergreens but Steward in my mind is that once in a generation talent that you know is special from day 1 on the team. And he is still developing.

But to be honest it’s a credit to them all that I could have voted for nearly any of them depending on my mood. It’s the measure of the team when you look at who didn’t make the short list.

That list of youngsters says it all really - most of them from zero to internationals in such a short time. A great time to be a Tiger fan 👍

I know you have to draw the line but why no Leibenburg? He would have got my vote.
Tiglon
Super User
Super User

Post by Tiglon »

Burns for new player - I think at least two matches we wouldn't have won without him when Ford was with England, so we'd be fighting Quins for a home semi behind Sarries. We'll ignore the fact that he has probably the worst tackle success rate in the squad. Ashton would be a worthy winner too. Perhaps the most exciting thing is that there aren't many candidates for this one, because we didn't have 5,000 new recruits this season!

Has to be Reffell for young player IMO - Steward, Kelly, Chessum and Martin are perhaps more exciting talents, but in terms of contribution to Tigers' season it's Reffell all day long. So exciting to have so many strong candidates in this category though!

Player of the year is really tough (how is Liebenberg not on that list?!) but for me when you look at all round contribution and impact, it has to be Wiese. Reffell does a lot of tackling, Liebenberg does a lot of carrying, Wiese does a lot of both. Over a thousand metres made, nearly 200 tackles (94% success rate) - his only black mark is the penalty count, but I feel like he's really worked on that and improved since his suspension. For over a decade the biggest thing we've been missing was a big number 8 - now we've got one of the very best. Wells is worth a mention here too - 4th highest tackle count in the league and has played more than 1,500 minutes just in the league, incredible fitness and work ethic.

By the way, when you look at Premiership player statistics, how has Billy V not been anywhere near the England squad this season?
Tigerbeat

Post by Tigerbeat »

I dont class Burns as a new player, given that he is returnee after a few years away. Dolly is totally new to the Tigers and has stood up to the plate when Tom Youngs was not available and Montoya was with Argentina. He has gone from strength to strength from an unknown with no club to being an England international.
SUPPORT THE MATT HAMPSON TRUST
www.matthampson.co.uk
bendy

Post by bendy »

Out of interest - do we know who came up with the shortlists?

Borthwick?
Bondi??
Welford??