Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

Tiglon
Super User
Super User

Re: Premier league final day.

Post by Tiglon »

Rugbygramps wrote: Mon May 23, 2022 2:33 pm
bendy wrote: Mon May 23, 2022 2:09 pm I think we should be cautious of the "I'm alright Jack" mindset.

Yes, Tigers may fare well under any potential changes to the financial regulations (note: "may"), however if let's say Worcester and London Irish had to gamble on taking on excessive debt to attract the players to compete at the top level and for whatever reason, those players underperformed and the clubs missed out on Champions Cup rugby with no means of keeping up with those debt levels - would we be happy playing in a ten team premiership? Fewer match days would mean less revenue for the clubs, less TV income, etc.

In my view we need to be thinking about the poorest members of the league (/ and Championship) rather than on what's best for the biggest / best clubs in the league.

Whilst the cap isn't perfect, it does provide a level playing field.
Again good points but playing Devils Advocate Is life a level playing field or do you always have over and underachievers.
You do, but the problem in this case is that there's nothing for the overachievers to achieve if none of the underachievers exist any more!
mol2
Super User
Super User

Post by mol2 »

Or do you have a lower standard league with players at risk of being poached by big clubs overseas?

And perhaps that filtering down with some being lost to professional rugby altogether. Delay university and career when you are going to be a good club player but sub international player?

Is there enough money in rugby to support the Premiership without a cap?
English clubs might as well forget about Europe. No hope of competing with the best of the French and Irish.

I fear the new cap is too low. I would increase it by giving “discounts” for English qualified players and even bigger ones for those from your own academy.
glenn

Post by glenn »

Looking at the semi at the weekend with the two French teams. I reckon half the premiership would have beaten either team on that form. However, if they played a prem team it wouldn't have been that does a game or the tactics would have been different
Rugbygramps
Super User
Super User

Post by Rugbygramps »

glenn wrote: Mon May 23, 2022 8:59 pm Looking at the semi at the weekend with the two French teams. I reckon half the premiership would have beaten either team on that form. However, if they played a prem team it wouldn't have been that does a game or the tactics would have been different
I honestly think that was a case of over familiarity, hopefully La Rochelle will give a better account on Saturday