7s ethics?

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

Old Hob
Super User
Super User

7s ethics?

Post by Old Hob »

In the world 7s tournament an English player stood behind the Argentine goal line for 2 minutes unchallenged and then dotted down. This winding down of the clock meant both England and Argentina qualified at the expense of Canada. Smart, but hardly in the spirit of the game.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/rugby-union/61540417
Omnia dicta fortiora si dicta Latina
Tiglon
Super User
Super User

Re: 7s ethics?

Post by Tiglon »

100% not in the spirit of the game. To blatantly refuse to play the game is disgraceful.

Law 9: Foul Play
Misconduct
27. A player must not do anything that is against the spirit of good sportsmanship.

Personally, I'd kick both teams out of the tournament for refusing to finish the match.
LE18
Super User
Super User

Post by LE18 »

Tiglon wrote: Sun May 22, 2022 3:46 pm 100% not in the spirit of the game. To blatantly refuse to play the game is disgraceful.

Misconduct
27. A player must not do anything that is against the spirit of good sportsmanship.

Personally, I'd kick both teams out of the tournament for refusing to finish the match.
Oh come on, why didn't the opposition challenge him, its their fault. :smt017
Rugbygramps
Super User
Super User

Post by Rugbygramps »

LE18 wrote: Sun May 22, 2022 4:34 pm
Tiglon wrote: Sun May 22, 2022 3:46 pm 100% not in the spirit of the game. To blatantly refuse to play the game is disgraceful.

Misconduct

It was to Argentinian benefit too I believe they had someone in the bin too.
LE18
Super User
Super User

Post by LE18 »

Rugbygramps wrote: Sun May 22, 2022 4:41 pm

Misconduct

It was to Argentinian benefit too I believe they had someone in the bin too.
I see nothing wrong, its no different from other time consuming play/non play that takes up time, it really is up to the opposition to chase him down.
Rugbygramps
Super User
Super User

Post by Rugbygramps »

I take Tiglons point but it has always been part of 7s taking a break when you can. This did take it to the nth degree though
LE18
Super User
Super User

Post by LE18 »

Rugbygramps wrote: Sun May 22, 2022 4:47 pm I take Tiglons point but it has always been part of 7s taking a break when you can. This did take it to the nth degree though
I cannot see an difference to him running around field for 2 minutes evading tackles etc, the balls in play come and take it off me, no offence, why quote foul play laws, its up to the opposition come and get me!
Tiglon
Super User
Super User

Post by Tiglon »

Misconduct

Did you actually read the article? Both teams stopped playing - it was all about points difference, if either team conceded a few more points they would go out.

Basically both teams decided to end the match 2 minutes early. It's verging on match fixing IMO.
LE18
Super User
Super User

Post by LE18 »

Tiglon wrote: Sun May 22, 2022 5:00 pm

Misconduct

Did you actually read the article? Both teams stopped playing - it was all about points difference, if either team conceded a few more points they would go out.

Basically both teams decided to end the match 2 minutes early. It's verging on match fixing IMO.
Sorry Tiglon to disagree, frustrating yes, but hanging on for a draw by whatever means with ball in play is hardly foul play.
Rugbygramps
Super User
Super User

Post by Rugbygramps »

Sounds like one of those suspicious 0-0 draws that used to happen in the group stages of the football World Cup
TigerFeetSteve
Super User
Super User

Post by TigerFeetSteve »

Well both teams have been knocked out of the tournament now anyway.
Used to run around with an 11, 14 or 15 on my back.
Tiglon
Super User
Super User

Post by Tiglon »

LE18 wrote: Sun May 22, 2022 5:08 pm

Sorry Tiglon to disagree, frustrating yes, but hanging on for a draw by whatever means with ball in play is hardly foul play.
It wasn't a draw. :smt017

For me the integrity of sport is lost if two teams can collude, even non-explicitly and non-verbally, to decide what the score will be. That's not competition.

I didn't write the laws, but they do say that anything against the spirit of good sportsmanship is foul play. Therefore, anything against the spirit of good sportsmanship is foul play, whether you like it or not.
Dokie
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Dokie »

Tiglon wrote: Sun May 22, 2022 5:19 pm
LE18 wrote: Sun May 22, 2022 5:08 pm

It wasn't a draw. :smt017

For me the integrity of sport is lost if two teams can collude, even non-explicitly and non-verbally, to decide what the score will be. That's not competition.

I didn't write the laws, but they do say that anything against the spirit of good sportsmanship is foul play. Therefore, anything against the spirit of good sportsmanship is foul play, whether you like it or not.
You’re 100% right. I don’t understand why the others don’t get it.
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

"Rugby isn't a contact sport,ballroom dancing is a contact sport. Rugby is a collision sport" Heyneke Meyer
LE18
Super User
Super User

Post by LE18 »

Ok, so why didn't Ref penalise him? Anyway no matter what I think both Argentina and England are out.