Tigers vs Wasps - 04th June 2022 KO 15:00

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

OakhamTiger32
Super User
Super User

Tigers vs Wasps - 04th June 2022 KO 15:00

Post by OakhamTiger32 »

Sarries are only 3 points behind but we have won 2 games more so if we end up level on points we finish top. So, any form of win, a draw or 2 BP loss will do. Obviously I'd hope and even expect us to win this one but we can't take anything for granted. So..

15. Steward
14. Potter
13. Moroni
12. Scott
11. Nadolo
10. Ford
9. Youngs
1. Genge
2. Montoya
3. Cole
4. Chessum
5. Wells
6. Liebenberg
7. Reffell
8. Weise

Bench: Clare, Whitcombe, Heyes, Henderson, Martin, JvP, Burns, Porter

Go strong, get the job done then bring players off after 50-60 minutes if we are far enough ahead. Would like to see Scott get the starting shirt alongside Moroni. If Youngs is fit I'd bring him back in to start, if not I'd start JvP with Wigglesworth on the bench. Henderson on the bench again for some more game time. If Whitcombe is fit I would bring him back in. Would definitely have Reffell in at 7 for a natural jackler as Wasps are very strong in this department. We want to maintain a 100% home record in the Premiership this season and clearly want to secure top spot so this is the side I'd send out. Also.. the Newcastle match looked pretty disjointed for large parts so I'd like to see a strong side out so they can iron out these errors prior to the derby SF against Saints (most likely).. Just my thoughts of course..
Oakham lad born and bred, Tigers season ticket holder who is enjoying steady progression back towards the good old days!
Rugbygramps
Super User
Super User

Re: Tigers vs Wasps - 04th June 2022 KO 15:00

Post by Rugbygramps »

OakhamTiger32 wrote: Sun May 22, 2022 11:09 am Sarries are only 3 points behind but we have won 2 games more so if we end up level on points we finish top. So, any form of win, a draw or 2 BP loss will do. Obviously I'd hope and even expect us to win this one but we can't take anything for granted. So..

15. Steward
14. Potter
13. Moroni
12. Scott
11. Nadolo
10. Ford
9. Youngs
1. Genge
2. Montoya
3. Cole
4. Chessum
5. Wells
6. Liebenberg
7. Reffell
8. Weise

Bench: Clare, Whitcombe, Heyes, Henderson, Martin, JvP, Burns, Porter

Go strong, get the job done then bring players off after 50-60 minutes if we are far enough ahead. Would like to see Scott get the starting shirt alongside Moroni. If Youngs is fit I'd bring him back in to start, if not I'd start JvP with Wigglesworth on the bench. Henderson on the bench again for some more game time. If Whitcombe is fit I would bring him back in. Would definitely have Reffell in at 7 for a natural jackler as Wasps are very strong in this department. We want to maintain a 100% home record in the Premiership this season and clearly want to secure top spot so this is the side I'd send out. Also.. the Newcastle match looked pretty disjointed for large parts so I'd like to see a strong side out so they can iron out these errors prior to the derby SF against Saints (most likely).. Just my thoughts of course..
Totally agree with Oakham, only previso as usual is that MVS and Kelly are ready for a bench spot then would like to see them. Also wonder if it might be a chance to give Vanes some game time, just in case given the Dolly injury
Tigerbeat

Post by Tigerbeat »

Wasps will be going all out to get a win to gain Champions Cup rugby…..a lot at stake for them so am expecting a tough game.
SUPPORT THE MATT HAMPSON TRUST
www.matthampson.co.uk
Rugbygramps
Super User
Super User

Post by Rugbygramps »

Tigerbeat wrote: Sun May 22, 2022 11:25 am Wasps will be going all out to get a win to gain Champions Cup rugby…..a lot at stake for them so am expecting a tough game.
Spot on Tigerbeat. That May of course be advantageous for us as means they may leave themselves more open as they need the win for Europe
Tiglon
Super User
Super User

Post by Tiglon »

Agree with all the above, go big, treat it like knockout rugby. With the usual provisos of fitness requirements.
TigerFeetSteve
Super User
Super User

Post by TigerFeetSteve »

Selection at 2 & 16 for me is down to Montoya's fitness, with Dolly out, the last thing we can afford is no Montoya in the knockouts.

If Montoya's fully fit start him and look to replace him early (no matter the current score). If we're happy with the gametime Clare's had then I'd go Vanes on the bench, gets him gametime just in case and reduces the chances of Clare getting injured.

However if he's still carrying a niggle I'd rest Montoya, yes it would mean he may be rusty for the semifinal, but I'd rather have a rusty Montoya than no Montoya, especially with no Dolly
Used to run around with an 11, 14 or 15 on my back.
OakhamTiger32
Super User
Super User

Post by OakhamTiger32 »

TigerFeetSteve wrote: Sun May 22, 2022 12:57 pm Selection at 2 & 16 for me is down to Montoya's fitness, with Dolly out, the last thing we can afford is no Montoya in the knockouts.

If Montoya's fully fit start him and look to replace him early (no matter the current score). If we're happy with the gametime Clare's had then I'd go Vanes on the bench, gets him gametime just in case and reduces the chances of Clare getting injured.

However if he's still carrying a niggle I'd rest Montoya, yes it would mean he may be rusty for the semifinal, but I'd rather have a rusty Montoya than no Montoya, especially with no Dolly
Managing Montoya is essential and I am certain if there is any doubt over his fitness then he won't feature. Far better to have him fit and firing for the SF and beyond than risk him
Oakham lad born and bred, Tigers season ticket holder who is enjoying steady progression back towards the good old days!
Old Hob
Super User
Super User

Post by Old Hob »

Ashton in for Nadolo, he's looking hungry in defence and attack every time I've seen him play. Nadolo, sadly, slow and lumbering and kicks the ball like an old fashioned prop.
Omnia dicta fortiora si dicta Latina
OakhamTiger32
Super User
Super User

Post by OakhamTiger32 »

Old Hob wrote: Sun May 22, 2022 3:02 pm Ashton in for Nadolo, he's looking hungry in defence and attack every time I've seen him play. Nadolo, sadly, slow and lumbering and kicks the ball like an old fashioned prop.
I did think that too but I know SB likes Nadolo to come in field and he's also been great bulldozing through the middle creating gaps. He didn't perhaps have his best game against Newcastle but either Nadolo or Ashton would be great imho :smt023
Tiglon
Super User
Super User

Post by Tiglon »

I know Nadolo struggles defensively sometimes, but he's directly responsible for minimum one try every single match, whether by walking through the opposition or being marked by 4 defenders and creating a walk in for someone else.

Has to be in the 23 if fit.
Rugbygramps
Super User
Super User

Post by Rugbygramps »

Tiglon wrote: Sun May 22, 2022 3:48 pm I know Nadolo struggles defensively sometimes, but he's directly responsible for minimum one try every single match, whether by walking through the opposition or being marked by 4 defenders and creating a walk in for someone else.

IMO if in the 23 he starts and replaced after 50 or so if required
tigerburnie
Super User
Super User

Post by tigerburnie »

Tiglon wrote: Sun May 22, 2022 3:48 pm I know Nadolo struggles defensively sometimes, but he's directly responsible for minimum one try every single match, whether by walking through the opposition or being marked by 4 defenders and creating a walk in for someone else.

Big men like him will not turn on a sixpence, Jonah Lomu was much the same, the threat they create by just being there gives you an edge, he knows where the whitewash is and knows how to get there, his try yesterday shows, the way he twisted round to wrong side the defence from being able to stop him grounding the ball was class.
"If you want entertainment, go to the theatre," says Edinburgh head coach Richard Cockerill. "Rugby players play the game to win.15/1/21.
ay2oh
Super User
Super User

Post by ay2oh »

tigerburnie wrote: Sun May 22, 2022 5:59 pm

Big men like him will not turn on a sixpence, Jonah Lomu was much the same, the threat they create by just being there gives you an edge, he knows where the whitewash is and knows how to get there, his try yesterday shows, the way he twisted round to wrong side the defence from being able to stop him grounding the ball was class.
I really like Nadolo but you have to start him as you never know how long he will last for which is dependant on his involvement . Will miss him being here next season if the rumours are true but Watson is class and at the peak of his powers.
A2O
Darc Tiger
Super User
Super User

Post by Darc Tiger »

Stooke was stretchered off. Launchbury has withdraw from the England camp, but doesn't sound too serious. Perhaps some issues at lock for Wasps.
sam16111986
Super User
Super User

Post by sam16111986 »

Old Hob wrote: Sun May 22, 2022 3:02 pm Ashton in for Nadolo, he's looking hungry in defence and attack every time I've seen him play. Nadolo, sadly, slow and lumbering and kicks the ball like an old fashioned prop.
Disagree. Nadolo got left grasping at thin air for the Radwan step but in the same move Porter got stepped and left for dead. Ashton had Carreras go past him on the outside a few times in the second half. The Falcons have some extremely quick wingers and our backline isn't the quickest generally.

Nadolo creates a lot of chances and scores plenty of tries for us. If the semi is against Saints I'd 100% start him for that as their backs don't stand up well to the power game. Against Wasps I'm open as Gopperth and Fekitoa are normally good at the big shots, might be worth going with a bit more pace, maybe give Murimurivalu or Saumaki a go on the left and Potter on the right. Rotate through our options a bit.