Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

Old Hob
Super User
Super User

Re: Tigers vs Wasps - 04th June 2022 KO 15:00

Post by Old Hob »

mol2 wrote: Fri May 27, 2022 6:17 pm :smt027
westwinds31 wrote: Sun May 22, 2022 8:03 pm I’ve said it before, Nadolo can create something out of nothing and in a knock out game, that could be the difference. His defence isn’t that bad, yes, the quicker guys are hard to handle for him, but for everyone else as well.
Having witnessed Ford emploring him to get back in the defensive line and only plodding back, feeble attempts at tap tackles the average tight head would have made, I would say he is a liability.
Some of the opposition wingers have skinned him by 5 yards.
I agree. He does take two or three defenders out but they quickly reorganise and, to most teams, he is no real threat.
Omnia dicta fortiora si dicta Latina
Rugbygramps
Super User
Super User

Post by Rugbygramps »

Old Hob wrote: Fri May 27, 2022 6:58 pm
mol2 wrote: Fri May 27, 2022 6:17 pm :smt027
westwinds31 wrote: Sun May 22, 2022 8:03 pm I’ve said it before, Nadolo can create something out of nothing and in a knock out game, that could be the difference. His defence isn’t that bad, yes, the quicker guys are hard to handle for him, but for everyone else as well.
Having witnessed Ford emploring him to get back in the defensive line and only plodding back, feeble attempts at tap tackles the average tight head would have made, I would say he is a liability.
Some of the opposition wingers have skinned him by 5 yards.
I agree. He does take two or three defenders out but they quickly reorganise and, to most teams, he is no real threat.
I think it’s telling that just recently most of his tries have been scored in the middle of the park.
ay2oh
Super User
Super User

Post by ay2oh »

Love Nemsi as an attacking threat but his defence is poor
A2O
DeadlyDunc
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by DeadlyDunc »

How quick we are to judge - no one (or very few) were suggesting his defence was poor earlier this season when he was winning turnovers and our tries conceded record was the best in the league.

Our general level of performance hasn’t been quite on it for a month or so but that, IMO, is because we miss Kelly at 12 and Ford isn’t quite the same without him (and arguably getting back to his best)

It’s a case of horses for courses but I imagine most teams will be happier facing Ashton and Potter than Nadolo.

Every player and every system has an weakness that can be exploited but he’d be in my first XV for the big games as he is one of our X factor players and we don’t have that many able to produce something from nothing.

It’d be interesting to see our record with him and without him including tries scored.
sam16111986
Super User
Super User

Post by sam16111986 »

DeadlyDunc wrote: Fri May 27, 2022 7:54 pm How quick we are to judge - no one (or very few) were suggesting his defence was poor earlier this season when he was winning turnovers and our tries conceded record was the best in the league.

Our general level of performance hasn’t been quite on it for a month or so but that, IMO, is because we miss Kelly at 12 and Ford isn’t quite the same without him (and arguably getting back to his best)

It’s a case of horses for courses but I imagine most teams will be happier facing Ashton and Potter than Nadolo.

Every player and every system has an weakness that can be exploited but he’d be in my first XV for the big games as he is one of our X factor players and we don’t have that many able to produce something from nothing.

It’d be interesting to see our record with him and without him including tries scored.
Good post.

We are definitely missing Kelly. He led our defence and did so much of the unflashy stuff that helped our attack tick along. Like a younger, bigger Ant Allen.
OakhamTiger32
Super User
Super User

Post by OakhamTiger32 »

DeadlyDunc wrote: Fri May 27, 2022 7:54 pm It’d be interesting to see our record with him and without him including tries scored.
Nadolo has featured 18 times (16 starts) this season for Tigers in the Premiership and has averaged 63 minutes per appearance. In those 18 matches he has scored 10 tries.

When he has featured we have played 18, W16 L2. Winning side success 89%
When he hasn't featured we have played 5, W3 L2. Winning side success 60%

Now.. it's clearly not all about him and there are a lot more factors to consider but we have a much better win success when he is in the side.

Looking at tries scored by Tigers wingers this season in the Premiership:

Nadolo - 18 matches 10 tries (56%)
Ashton - 8 matches 6 tries (75%)
Potter - 19 matches 6 tries (32%)
Saumaki - 3 matches 1 try (33%.. although 10 matches 8 tries in all competitions)

Clearly Ashton is leading the way on the finishers stats but Nadolo is our leading try scorer out of the wingers.

His defense hasn't been great but plenty of players would have been skinned by some of the wingers that have breezed by him this season. His work rate could and should be better but I don't think anyone can deny he brings an x factor to the side when he plays.

I'm on the fence. He has plenty to offer but his defense and work rate lets his overall game down for me. Next season Having Watson, Potter, Ashton, Murimurivalu, Saumaki gives us 5 fantastic options on the wing with Porter and Moroni able to fill in if and when required.
Oakham lad born and bred, Tigers season ticket holder who is enjoying steady progression back towards the good old days!
Rugbygramps
Super User
Super User

Post by Rugbygramps »

Let me first of all say that I’m a huge Nadolo fan and think he has been a brilliant signing for us. I would say that as the season has gone on he does appear to have become less flexible and as I noted earlier a number of his tries have been scored due to his size and power nearer the middle of the park, rather than shall we say more traditional wingers. Like all players he has pluses and minuses but I would suggest it’s heavily in favour of the pluses
ads
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by ads »

As long as we keep thinking and not just playing give it to the big lad I'm happy with what Nadolo does.
I'd be happy with starting either home Ashton or Potter.
DeadlyDunc
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by DeadlyDunc »

OakhamTiger32 wrote: Fri May 27, 2022 8:33 pm
DeadlyDunc wrote: Fri May 27, 2022 7:54 pm It’d be interesting to see our record with him and without him including tries scored.
Nadolo has featured 18 times (16 starts) this season for Tigers in the Premiership and has averaged 63 minutes per appearance. In those 18 matches he has scored 10 tries.

Now.. it's clearly not all about him and there are a lot more factors to consider but we have a much better win success when he is in the side.

Saumaki - 3 matches 1 try (33%.. although 10 matches 8 tries in all competitions)

Clearly Ashton is leading the way on the finishers stats but Nadolo is our leading try scorer out of the wingers.

His defense hasn't been great but plenty of players would have been skinned by some of the wingers that have breezed by him this season. His work rate could and should be better but I don't think anyone can deny he brings an x factor to the side when he plays.

I'm on the fence. He has plenty to offer but his defense and work rate lets his overall game down for me. Next season Having Watson, Potter, Ashton, Murimurivalu, Saumaki gives us 5 fantastic options on the wing with Porter and Moroni able to fill in if and when required.
Fantastic! Where do you get this from!

At the risk of taking the proverbial can you tell us what number of tries/points we’ve conceded with and without him in the team?

It’s obviously skewed given he’s played more than not but might indicate some trend - accepting there are 29 other players on the pitch that also influence things
OakhamTiger32
Super User
Super User

Post by OakhamTiger32 »

DeadlyDunc wrote: Sat May 28, 2022 8:30 am

At the risk of taking the proverbial can you tell us what number of tries/points we’ve conceded with and without him in the team?

It’s obviously skewed given he’s played more than not but might indicate some trend - accepting there are 29 other players on the pitch that also influence things
I use a combination of sites but the main 2 are:

https://all.rugby/player/nemani-nadolo
https://www.premiershiprugby.com/gallag ... yer-stats/
https://rd.premiershiprugby.com/mobile/ ... ef=dynamic

I didn't look at the tries for/against stats as I thought that's largely skewed by who we were playing rather than whether he was in the side or not but you can easily see the stats from these website Dunc. I think he only missed 5 matches in the Premiership so easy to add those totals up and subtract from season total thus far. :smt023
Oakham lad born and bred, Tigers season ticket holder who is enjoying steady progression back towards the good old days!
DeadlyDunc
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by DeadlyDunc »

OakhamTiger32 wrote: Sat May 28, 2022 12:37 pm
DeadlyDunc wrote: Sat May 28, 2022 8:30 am

I use a combination of sites but the main 2 are:

https://all.rugby/player/nemani-nadolo
https://www.premiershiprugby.com/gallag ... yer-stats/
https://rd.premiershiprugby.com/mobile/ ... ef=dynamic

I didn't look at the tries for/against stats as I thought that's largely skewed by who we were playing rather than whether he was in the side or not but you can easily see the stats from these website Dunc. I think he only missed 5 matches in the Premiership so easy to add those totals up and subtract from season total thus far. :smt023
That’s great - thanks for sharing
chris111
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by chris111 »

Not sure if I’m imagining this, but my impression is that Nemzy had slimmed down somewhat at the start of the season, but on returning from his mid season (injury?) break had bulked up again. Like many other big running backs (Manu a case in point) I thought he was a better all round player when carrying less bulk.
ay2oh
Super User
Super User

Post by ay2oh »

chris111 wrote: Sat May 28, 2022 2:26 pm Not sure if I’m imagining this, but my impression is that Nemzy had slimmed down somewhat at the start of the season, but on returning from his mid season (injury?) break had bulked up again. Like many other big running backs (Manu a case in point) I thought he was a better all round player when carrying less bulk.
Agree entirely with this. When the pitches firm up Nemsi is more likely to be caught out by the faster players especially if he is carrying a bit more weight.
A2O
Wayne Richardson Fan Club
Super User
Super User

Post by Wayne Richardson Fan Club »

chris111 wrote: Sat May 28, 2022 2:26 pm Not sure if I’m imagining this, but my impression is that Nemzy had slimmed down somewhat at the start of the season, but on returning from his mid season (injury?) break had bulked up again. Like many other big running backs (Manu a case in point) I thought he was a better all round player when carrying less bulk.
The same happened last season as well, I would still pick him to start our remaining games of this season.
To win is not as important as playing with style!
KiwiTig
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by KiwiTig »

I do like the XFactor comment that he brings …