Re: Transfers & Rumours Non-Tigers 2022

Post by RagingBull »

Speaking of the James brothers Sam James linked with Treviso
Tiglon
Super User
Super User

Post by Tiglon »

Hammersley hasn't started a league game for Sale since November. Hardly been used off the bench since then either.

It must be really difficult being one of these guys who are established and proven Premiership players (and even internationals) thinking you're going to play for another 5 years and then suddenly, nope, no one wants you because it's cheaper to use the academy and they don't need to worry about relegation.
sam16111986
Super User
Super User

Post by sam16111986 »

RagingBull wrote: Sun May 29, 2022 1:14 pm Speaking of the James brothers Sam James linked with Treviso
High quality player, would be wasted at Treviso. I'd be surprised if Sale were not looking to renew and no other Prem team was interested. He might be just below international level but he does cover most the backline.
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Post by RagingBull »

sam16111986 wrote: Sun May 29, 2022 5:02 pm
RagingBull wrote: Sun May 29, 2022 1:14 pm Speaking of the James brothers Sam James linked with Treviso
High quality player, would be wasted at Treviso. I'd be surprised if Sale were not looking to renew and no other Prem team was interested. He might be just below international level but he does cover most the backline.
I mean did you not see the daily mail article about cap?
Tiglon
Super User
Super User

Post by Tiglon »

Sam James has started most of Sale's league games this season, so he's a bit different from the players being talked about in the Mail.

Take some of the hyperbole in that article with a pinch of salt - it's saying 70 players are likely to be unable to find a club compared to 50 last season. It's hardly a catastrophic change.

It's players like Nick Auterac who has made 28 Premiership starts in 10 seasons who are going to struggle and will be replaced by academy players instead. There's potentially the odd anomaly like Joe Simpson, but he'll be 34 before next season, barely starts a game any more and there seems to be a glut of good young 9's around at the moment.

Maybe Treviso can offer a good salary, maybe he fancies it for the lifestyle. Who knows.
sam16111986
Super User
Super User

Post by sam16111986 »

RagingBull wrote: Sun May 29, 2022 5:11 pm
Agree with Tiglon. It's squad players that are third choice being cut mainly with academy players promoted in their stead. A game day regular that has played 10/12/13/15 at Prem and Champions Cup level and is in his peak years (27) and doesn't have a history of bad or persistent injuries. Ideal club man with that availability and versatility given the salary cap constraints you'd have thought.
Hot_Charlie
Super User
Super User

Post by Hot_Charlie »

Tiglon wrote: Sun May 29, 2022 2:14 pm Hammersley hasn't started a league game for Sale since November. Hardly been used off the bench since then either.

It must be really difficult being one of these guys who are established and proven Premiership players (and even internationals) thinking you're going to play for another 5 years and then suddenly, nope, no one wants you because it's cheaper to use the academy and they don't need to worry about relegation.
Yep. The argument would be that had Newcastle not been relegated then a player like him might still be first choice 15 at Newcastle. There's pros and cons for all arguments, but it's interesting to consider the "alternative reality" in terms of the effect it can have on a player's career.
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

I personally think no relegation will get most of the blame when in fact its more likely the lowering of the salary cap and the hangover from Covid. Still it will give those that think no relegation has wrecked the league some ammunition
"Rugby isn't a contact sport,ballroom dancing is a contact sport. Rugby is a collision sport" Heyneke Meyer
Tiglon
Super User
Super User

Post by Tiglon »

Obviously the situation is bad for the 20 extra players who will be without a club this year, but there's an opposite effect and that is more opportunities for younger players, which is arguably better for the league and for England.

No relegation is definitely a big factor in clubs feeling more confident using youth instead of a "journeyman", but maybe that's a good thing. If someone is at what should be the peak of his career and struggling to get a start, then maybe, as harsh as it sounds, they just haven't quite made it and someone else should be given their chance. It's always amazed me how there are so many players employed in the Premiership who barely ever make it onto the pitch even though they are fit.

We can already see clubs like Newcastle focusing so much more on giving youth a chance, rather than signing whatever sort of decent club players they can from around the country and abroad.

I'm one of those in favour of relegation, but there are certainly some benefits already being reaped from removing it.
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Post by RagingBull »

sam16111986 wrote: Sun May 29, 2022 5:48 pm
RagingBull wrote: Sun May 29, 2022 5:11 pm

Agree with Tiglon. It's squad players that are third choice being cut mainly with academy players promoted in their stead. A game day regular that has played 10/12/13/15 at Prem and Champions Cup level and is in his peak years (27) and doesn't have a history of bad or persistent injuries. Ideal club man with that availability and versatility given the salary cap constraints you'd have thought.
If you want to be pedantic those players are the ones that can't find a club in general.
Whereas this is Treviso would be an actual offer.
and unless you can say for sure what his wage requirements are then the "Ideal club man" tag is pretty irrelevant.

The point is clubs are trying to skim the cap right now, not looking at bringing more in generally currently if a club outside Sale is looking to bring in say a Sam James who are they having to cut to make way for that cap I could think of plenty of teams that would want him as a back up but how many would be wanting to give him what I would imagine is peak wage requirements.
Faulks04
Top Cat
Top Cat

Post by Faulks04 »

Jeff toomaga Allen signed for 1 year with ulster
GB72
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by GB72 »

Scott1 wrote: Sun May 29, 2022 5:56 pm I personally think no relegation will get most of the blame when in fact its more likely the lowering of the salary cap and the hangover from Covid. Still it will give those that think no relegation has wrecked the league some ammunition
Agree that it is likely a combination of all 3. One issue could be that the big name players continue to have the same or even larger salary demands which is not obviously compatible with a reduced salary cap, especially bearing in mind the need for quality back up over international periods. Perhaps the reduction of opportunities in France and the number of players without clubs may force down the higher end salaries or even for clubs to start looking at whether there is the necessary value in employing forever absent international players.
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

Tom Wood has retired from the game,this will be his last season. Top player! Good luck Tom
"Rugby isn't a contact sport,ballroom dancing is a contact sport. Rugby is a collision sport" Heyneke Meyer
TigerFeetSteve
Super User
Super User

Post by TigerFeetSteve »

Scott1 wrote: Mon May 30, 2022 1:36 pm Tom Wood has retired from the game,this will be his last season. Top player! Good luck Tom
Hopefully he'll retire with a loss at Welford Road.
Used to run around with an 11, 14 or 15 on my back.
Rugbygramps
Super User
Super User

Post by Rugbygramps »

Excellent servant to both club and country Tom Wood best of luck in his retirement.