Other Weekend Games - 20th to 22nd May 2022

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

Scott1
Super User
Super User

Re: Other Weekend Games - 20th to 22nd May 2022

Post by Scott1 »

Yes,hard luck Gloc. Can't see Saints not getting a TBP V Newcastle. Saints it is,written in the stars.
"Rugby isn't a contact sport,ballroom dancing is a contact sport. Rugby is a collision sport" Heyneke Meyer
markharbtiger
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by markharbtiger »

So Saras on 87 but can only win a maximum of 18 games and 92 points assuming they win 5 points in the final game
Tigers on 90 and if we lose v Wasps but get 2 bonus points will also put us on 92. However we will have won 19, so would stay top.
Of course a win v Wasps is the target!
markharbtiger
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by markharbtiger »

I am not sure I see Glaws getting a win in their final game or Saints losing. It's edging closer to Tigers v Saints at MWWR if we can get at least 2 point v Wasps...
Rugbygramps
Super User
Super User

Post by Rugbygramps »

wigworth wrote: Sat May 21, 2022 7:25 pm Nice try, the score line flatters Saints but it will be a great Semi if we end up playing them.
Not convinced it does. Saints stayed in it and caused Sarries plenty of issues who must be praying Farrell stays fit.
I can see Quins turning them over if they end up playing them at the Stonex.
markharbtiger
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by markharbtiger »

Rugbygramps wrote: Sat May 21, 2022 7:59 pm
wigworth wrote: Sat May 21, 2022 7:25 pm Nice try, the score line flatters Saints but it will be a great Semi if we end up playing them.
Not convinced it does. Saints stayed in it and caused Sarries plenty of issues who must be praying Farrell stays fit.
Fair point Rugbygramps. However, based on our record this year I'd prefer to face Saints at MWWR. Of course previous results aren't that important in playoff games, but we would know the threats. TBH it'd be great for East-Mids rugby too.
My plan is that Saras and Quins beat each other up in a London semi, and we roll over the winner in the final! But a lots of pieces have to fall into place for that...sports as we know has a habit of surprising...
Rugbygramps
Super User
Super User

Post by Rugbygramps »

markharbtiger wrote: Sat May 21, 2022 8:07 pm
Rugbygramps wrote: Sat May 21, 2022 7:59 pm
Fair point Rugbygramps. However, based on our record this year I'd prefer to face Saints at MWWR. Of course previous results aren't that important in playoff games, but we would know the threats. TBH it'd be great for East-Mids rugby too.
My plan is that Saras and Quins beat each other up in a London semi, and we roll over the winner in the final! But a lots of pieces have to fall in place for that...sports as we know has a habit of surprising
I’m sure you’re right that the semi’s will be 2 derby games Sarries v Quins and Tigers v Saints(Wasps aren’t great can’t see us losing to them). I didn’t phrase my response very well, Saints and Quins are similar and I think Quins stand a good chance of turning Sarries over
Ian Cant
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Ian Cant »

Wasps are a far better side than the one that beat us up at The Ricoh!
Saints will need no motivation in the Semi as they will see a chance of putting right the two defeats we have inflicted upon them.
My worry all season, and what a great season it’s been, is our game plan and back play won’t quite be good enough on the hard pitches.
Dan Biggar had an immense game today as did all the Saints players.
Sarries still have the best all round game but Quins never know when they are beaten.
Any of the top four could win The Premiership and the squads with the least injuries will win.
Hope Dolly makes a good recovery.
ay2oh
Super User
Super User

Post by ay2oh »

Ian Cant wrote: Sat May 21, 2022 9:31 pm Wasps are a far better side than the one that beat us up at The Ricoh!
Saints will need no motivation in the Semi as they will see a chance of putting right the two defeats we have inflicted upon them.
My worry all season, and what a great season it’s been, is our game plan and back play won’t quite be good enough on the hard pitches.
Sarries still have the best all round game but Quins never know when they are beaten.
Any of the top four could win The Premiership and the squads with the least injuries will win.
You’re being too pessimistic . We can beat anyone at home and have the squad to beat anyone home operators away.
A2O
Rugbygramps
Super User
Super User

Post by Rugbygramps »

Ian Cant wrote: Sat May 21, 2022 9:31 pm Wasps are a far better side than the one that beat us up at The Ricoh!
Wasps just do not have the physicality to deal with us especially without Stooke, also I got the feeling Friday night was very much their Lord Mayors parade.
One bad day at the office doesn’t mean our back play is limited, we have scored some cracking backs tries.
Just got to have a little faith.
Ian Cant
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Ian Cant »

I have faith Tigers can win but also know, as last season and other seasons have shown, any team in the semi final can win. League form means nothing in ko rugby. What Sarries did well yesterday was take 3 points when offered almost as if they were getting ready for the semi finals.
It’s still one game at a time so Wasps next. They have a very good pack and their backs can be magical, however, Sale proved how to beat them by playing a high intensity game.
KevinR

Post by KevinR »

Wasps scrum was destroyed by Sale and it won't be any better now that Stooke is out. They are a dangerous team, but it's hard to win games when your set piece is a disaster.
Wayne Richardson Fan Club
Super User
Super User

Post by Wayne Richardson Fan Club »

KevinR wrote: Sun May 22, 2022 8:19 am Wasps scrum was destroyed by Sale and it won't be any better now that Stooke is out. They are a dangerous team, but it's hard to win games when your set piece is a disaster.
Yet they beat us at at Ricoh, with a weaker team than they will probably have in a fortnight.
To win is not as important as playing with style!
wigworth
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by wigworth »

Ian Cant wrote: Sun May 22, 2022 3:15 am I have faith Tigers can win but also know, as last season and other seasons have shown, any team in the semi final can win. League form means nothing in ko rugby. What Sarries did well yesterday was take 3 points when offered almost as if they were getting ready for the semi finals.
It’s still one game at a time so Wasps next. They have a very good pack and their backs can be magical, however, Sale proved how to beat them by playing a high intensity game.
Yeah I think Sarries were pretty smart yesterday, they played hard at the start of the second half and carved Saints open pretty easily and then seemed to back off once they though they had enough of a lead. McFarland possibly being injured for them though is a pretty big blow.
TigerFeetSteve
Super User
Super User

Post by TigerFeetSteve »

Wayne Richardson Fan Club wrote: Sun May 22, 2022 8:54 am
KevinR wrote: Sun May 22, 2022 8:19 am Wasps scrum was destroyed by Sale and it won't be any better now that Stooke is out. They are a dangerous team, but it's hard to win games when your set piece is a disaster.
Yet they beat us at at Ricoh, with a weaker team than they will probably have in a fortnight.
Worth noting we were a pretty weak team considering Kini & Dolly were the two subs covering 2nd row and back row that game...
Used to run around with an 11, 14 or 15 on my back.
Rugbygramps
Super User
Super User

Post by Rugbygramps »

wigworth wrote: Sun May 22, 2022 8:57 am
Ian Cant wrote: Sun May 22, 2022 3:15 am I have faith Tigers can win but also know, as last season and other seasons have shown, any team in the semi final can win. League form means nothing in ko rugby. What Sarries did well yesterday was take 3 points when offered almost as if they were getting ready for the semi finals.
Yeah I think Sarries were pretty smart yesterday, they played hard at the start of the second half and carved Saints open pretty easily and then seemed to back off once they though they had enough of a lead. McFarland possibly being injured for them though is a pretty big blow.
Early doors they took the 3 points as Ian said to apply scoreboard pressure, Farrell is nothing if not pragmatic. Mcfarlane obviously tweaked something scoring his try, if you haven’t seen the finish look for it on YouTube. Farrell showed he is England best 10, easy I know with that much front foot ball, but he is passing so late that it is difficult to react.
As Austin pointed out there defence seems least strong close to the ruck area where Saints got a lot of joy. I do like Tompkins as a player but he has become very gobby and narrowly escaped a card. Earl seems to have calmed down a lot and that back row of him Mcfarlane and Billy is something special.

Re Wasps I take what people are saying and they still have something to play for in terms of finishing in a champions cup place but on Friday they lost at home to the 6th team in the league scoring one try on a night which should have been emotionally charged for them. I get peoples desire to keep a lid on expectations but 1st against 9th in the league at home there should only be one result