TigerFeetSteve
Super User
Super User

Re: Congratulations Tommy Reffell

Post by TigerFeetSteve »

Rugbygramps wrote: Wed May 18, 2022 7:38 pm
TigerFeetSteve wrote: Wed May 18, 2022 7:32 pm
Rugbygramps wrote: Wed May 18, 2022 7:29 pm
Ok apologies I misunderstood. But a new contract would mean that he was less likely to get more caps, and if he is capped in the summer does that affect things.
So the Wales rule is that after you are capped you cannot sign a contract outside of Wales to remain eligible. So prior to being capped if he were to extend it means longer till he would have to move to Wales.

Yes theoretically means he would be less available for training camps, but if good enough see LRZ) you'll be picked anyway.
Ok thanks for the clarification, unfortunately for every LRZ there is a Jonah Holmes, and there is a lot more competition at 7.
That's why I think we have a genuine chance at getting an extension out of him. That way he can see where he is for a few seasons, possibly see how much he's being called up, whether any Pivac sucessor post World Cup wants him and he can make a genuine decision to stay in England long term or go to Wales.
Used to run around with an 11, 14 or 15 on my back.
Dangerous4
Gold Member
Gold Member

!!

Post by Dangerous4 »

Whoopie! Rock on Tommy. :smt038 :smt041 :smt023
Jimmy Skitz
Super User
Super User

Post by Jimmy Skitz »

TigerFeetSteve wrote: Wed May 18, 2022 7:48 pm
TigerFeetSteve wrote: Wed May 18, 2022 7:32 pm

So the Wales rule is that after you are capped you cannot sign a contract outside of Wales to remain eligible. So prior to being capped if he were to extend it means longer till he would have to move to Wales.

Yes theoretically means he would be less available for training camps, but if good enough see LRZ) you'll be picked anyway.
Ok thanks for the clarification, unfortunately for every LRZ there is a Jonah Holmes, and there is a lot more competition at 7.
That's why I think we have a genuine chance at getting an extension out of him. That way he can see where he is for a few seasons, possibly see how much he's being called up, whether any Pivac successor post World Cup wants him and he can make a genuine decision to stay in England long term or go to Wales.
any sensible Pivac successor would ditch Gatland's law and simply say "I want to pick the best Welsh players not just the best players in Wales" to any that cry.

Scotland don't seem to suffer from Finn Russell playing if France, or Hogg at Exeter, Ireland and France both let players play anywhere just the xenophobes in the WRU and RFU seem to have a problem
Last edited by Jimmy Skitz on Wed May 18, 2022 8:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Rugbygramps
Super User
Super User

Post by Rugbygramps »

Jimmy Skitz wrote: Wed May 18, 2022 8:19 pm

That's why I think we have a genuine chance at getting an extension out of him. That way he can see where he is for a few seasons, possibly see how much he's being called up, whether any Pivac successor post World Cup wants him and he can make a genuine decision to stay in England long term or go to Wales.
any sensible Pivac successor would ditch Gatland's law and simply say "I want to pick the best Welsh players not just the best players in Wales" to any that cry.

Scotland don't seem to suffer from Finn Russell playing if France, or Hogg at Exeter, Ireland and France bot let players play anywhere just the xenophobes in the WRU and RFU seem to have a problem
Fair points both.
Wayne Richardson Fan Club
Super User
Super User

Post by Wayne Richardson Fan Club »

7 is not exactly a weak position for Wales they have more than they know what to do with.
You would be surprised if Pivac lasts beyond the RWC (note to England if they want Shaun Edwards), the number of regions might drop, the eligibility rules might change.. it's a really difficult choice for Tommy to make, I hope the club have offered a new contract, he isn't the sort of player you want to just slip away.

A well deserved call up, been very consistent all season.
To win is not as important as playing with style!
CJ
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by CJ »

About time too! Congratulations, Tommy. So well deserved.
wigworth
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by wigworth »

Jimmy Skitz wrote: Wed May 18, 2022 8:19 pm

Scotland don't seem to suffer from Finn Russell playing if France, or Hogg at Exeter, Ireland and France both let players play anywhere just the xenophobes in the WRU and RFU seem to have a problem
Do Ireland and France though? Ireland don't pick players based aboard, there was an exception made for Sexton to play in France but in 2020 David Nucifora has stated that Ireland will continue not selecting players who play abroad.

As for France I can't remember France selecting a player playing aboard for at least 5 years. Maybe someone else can think of others but the only players I can think of were Chabal, Ibanez, Kayser and Picamoles.
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Post by RagingBull »

England, Ireland and France have larger registered rugby players numbers.
They also have more finance available to their clubs/provinces.

Just look at the recent state of Welsh rugby.
None in the URC play offs even with a round to go they are out. Reality is as the SA teams get stronger and bring back more players from Europe and Japan it won't be easier.
Talk of dropping a region
mightymouse
Super User
Super User

Post by mightymouse »

I think if they drop a region then they will have to think again.. Scotland with only 2 regions cannot possibly have such a rule otherwise players would simply play for foreign clubs and take the money instead of playing for Scotland .. the regions could a) not pay the top players enough and b) not keep up and coming players happy as there would not be enough places for them. 4 regions were attempted at the beginning of professionalism and were unsustainable.
I see Huw Jones is returning to Glasgow though!
mol2
Super User
Super User

Post by mol2 »

Somewhat overdue I would say.

Always had the talent and has developed the physical side of his game and shone this season.
No6_Flanker
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by No6_Flanker »

New highlights video of Reffell shows just how good he has been this season: https://youtu.be/IEgo8JSjONs
Cheering on the Tigers in Detroit.
Previously a slower, shorter, less good looking version of Tom Croft.