England Squad for down under

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

Scott1
Super User
Super User

Re: England Squad for down under

Post by Scott1 »

Offside wrote: Mon May 30, 2022 10:48 am The other issue is that the high tackle means the tackler does not go to ground and can recycle themselves out of the ruck ready to be available to play turnover ball. Being pinned at the base of the ruck after a waist high tackle would be a tactical problem. There does seem to be a common 10 tackle technique.
Wilkinson was OK though, Carter,Pollard,Barrett is a very good tackler,I've seen Lozowski absolute melt a prop before. There's a few 10s who can tackle textbook wise. Maybe it's more of a tactic. I could maybe understand Ford but Farrell is a big FH
"Rugby isn't a contact sport,ballroom dancing is a contact sport. Rugby is a collision sport" Heyneke Meyer
Wayne Richardson Fan Club
Super User
Super User

Post by Wayne Richardson Fan Club »

For those of us of a older vintage, Les Cusworth had a proper no.10 tackle technique....

Let someone else do it, often Dosser, not sure I ever saw Les make a tackle....still an absolute genius though.
To win is not as important as playing with style!
Leicestertinytiger
Super User
Super User

Post by Leicestertinytiger »

Scott1 wrote: Mon May 30, 2022 11:37 am
Offside wrote: Mon May 30, 2022 10:48 am The other issue is that the high tackle means the tackler does not go to ground and can recycle themselves out of the ruck ready to be available to play turnover ball. Being pinned at the base of the ruck after a waist high tackle would be a tactical problem. There does seem to be a common 10 tackle technique.
Wilkinson was OK though, Carter,Pollard,Barrett is a very good tackler,I've seen Lozowski absolute melt a prop before. There's a few 10s who can tackle textbook wise. Maybe it's more of a tactic. I could maybe understand Ford but Farrell is a big FH
Just a shame Lozowski got messed around playing 12 or 13. Think he even played wing against us once at WR. Could have been a very good 10 if he’d stuck playing there. Seen him absolutely smash forwards in the tackle.
Tiglon
Super User
Super User

Post by Tiglon »

Leicestertinytiger wrote: Mon May 30, 2022 11:59 am
Just a shame Lozowski got messed around playing 12 or 13. Think he even played wing against us once at WR. Could have been a very good 10 if he’d stuck playing there. Seen him absolutely smash forwards in the tackle.
That's probably exactly why he's been played in the centres. No one wants or needs a big-tackling fly half - it's a nice bonus but not important.

Most fly halves are making 4/5 tackles per 80 minutes, and almost it's almost always a double tackle with a back row forward or centre.

What coaches want is a fly half who will only get involved in the tackle area when he has to, so that he's free to do his actual role.
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

Tiglon wrote: Mon May 30, 2022 5:06 pm
Leicestertinytiger wrote: Mon May 30, 2022 11:59 am

That's probably exactly why he's been played in the centres. No one wants or needs a big-tackling fly half - it's a nice bonus but not important.

Most fly halves are making 4/5 tackles per 80 minutes, and almost it's almost always a double tackle with a back row forward or centre.

What coaches want is a fly half who will only get involved in the tackle area when he has to, so that he's free to do his actual role.
But the opposition will always send one of their big carriers down the 10 channel and target him so most of the time the FH has no choice. See Ford,George 2019 RWC final for one of many references. Plus Farrell (who the debate is mostly about) plays 12 an awful lot and leads the defensive line. You would think the defensive leader should surely be able to tackle properly 🤔
"Rugby isn't a contact sport,ballroom dancing is a contact sport. Rugby is a collision sport" Heyneke Meyer
Darc Tiger
Super User
Super User

Post by Darc Tiger »

Slade and Tuilagi both out.

Kelly's return may be timely.
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

Darc Tiger wrote: Thu Jun 02, 2022 10:23 am Slade and Tuilagi both out.

Kelly's return may be timely.
The whole tour?
Darc Tiger
Super User
Super User

Post by Darc Tiger »

Yep
baz1664
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by baz1664 »

Manu seems just irreparable, the time has to come when he needs to admit defeat and the body has run its course for pro rugby.

Eddie needs to look out of the box abit more and focus on the future, Kelly for me has all the qualities for an international centre and will only get better.
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

Darc Tiger wrote: Thu Jun 02, 2022 10:26 amYep
Wow,thanks! Kelly and Marchant perhaps? Wonder if both Smith and Farrell go to Oz
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

baz1664 wrote: Thu Jun 02, 2022 10:39 am Manu seems just irreparable, the time has to come when he needs to admit defeat and the body has run its course for pro rugby.

Eddie needs to look out of the box abit more and focus on the future, Kelly for me has all the qualities for an international centre and will only get better.
Yes,has the base to be an excellent 12 Baz! Time to get rid of this Farrell at 12 nonsense so he has to hold Smiths hand,play Smith OR Farrell at 10 and sort a proper MF out
wigworth
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by wigworth »

baz1664 wrote: Thu Jun 02, 2022 10:39 am Manu seems just irreparable, the time has to come when he needs to admit defeat and the body has run its course for pro rugby.

I know it might be a good/right thing to do but why would Eddie look to the future? He is done after the world cup and he has clearly stated his goal is to win it, I would doubt there is much chance he is going to bring in anyone now who can't immediately contribute to that for the next 16 months. Not that you are wrong, Kelly will most likely be playing centre for England at some point but I can't see it being till after the world cup.
Last edited by wigworth on Thu Jun 02, 2022 11:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

wigworth wrote: Thu Jun 02, 2022 10:50 am

I know it might be a good/right thing to do but why would Eddie look to the future? He is done after the world cup and he has clearly stated his goal is to win it, I would doubt there is much chance he is going to bring in anyone now who can't immediately contribute to that for the next 16 months. Not that you are wrong Kelly will most likely be playing centre for England at some point but I can't see it being till after the world cup.
The thing is mate Smith/Farrell only really works with Manu at 13. Smith/Farrell/Slade would be as bad as Ford/Farrell/Slade and I don’t think much of that 10/12 pairing with Marchant or Daly outside them either! We have to seriously think that Manu isn’t playing in next years WC and plan for that. That to me means binning one of Smith or Farrell and we must start from now in this Oz tour
wigworth
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by wigworth »

Scott1 wrote: Thu Jun 02, 2022 10:52 am

I know it might be a good/right thing to do but why would Eddie look to the future? He is done after the world cup and he has clearly stated his goal is to win it, I would doubt there is much chance he is going to bring in anyone now who can't immediately contribute to that for the next 16 months. Not that you are wrong Kelly will most likely be playing centre for England at some point but I can't see it being till after the world cup.
The thing is mate Smith/Farrell only really works with Manu at 13. Smith/Farrell/Slade would be as bad as Ford/Farrell/Slade and I don’t think much of that 10/12 pairing with Marchant or Daly outside them either! We have to seriously think that Manu isn’t playing in next years WC and plan for that. That to me means binning one of Smith or Farrell and we must start from now in this Oz tour
I don't see there is a away he drops either of them, if Eddie had to wrap Manu in cotton wool and not play him until the QF or SF I bet that is a risk he would take. As for centres I agree neither Marchant or Daly is particularly good as the sole centre if it is MS and OF at 10/12 but I don't think he will play them together.
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

wigworth wrote: Thu Jun 02, 2022 11:19 am
Scott1 wrote: Thu Jun 02, 2022 10:52 am

I don't see there is a away he drops either of them, if Eddie had to wrap Manu in cotton wool and not play him until the QF or SF I bet that is a risk he would take. As for centres I agree neither Marchant or Daly is particularly good as the sole centre if it is MS and OF at 10/12 but I don't think he will play them together.
That's probably what he will do,re the cotton wool comment. Big Joe or Lawrence at 13 perhaps or someone of that type? Just gives it that same feel for now