Post by TigerCam »

Whoever said "one person cannot change the world' never ate undercooked bat
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Re: England Squad for down under

Post by Scott1 »

Just a training squad for now I believe
"Rugby isn't a contact sport,ballroom dancing is a contact sport. Rugby is a collision sport" Heyneke Meyer
Leicestertinytiger
Super User
Super User

Post by Leicestertinytiger »

Good squad that - congrats on JVP, fully deserved. Only player who may feel a little hard done by is Earl who’s been smashing it this season.
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

Leicestertinytiger wrote: Tue May 17, 2022 10:51 am Good squad that - congrats on JVP, fully deserved. Only player who may feel a little hard done by is Earl who’s been smashing it this season.
It's a training squad,I'd be very surprised if Earl doesn't travel
"Rugby isn't a contact sport,ballroom dancing is a contact sport. Rugby is a collision sport" Heyneke Meyer
johnthegriff
Super User
Super User

Post by johnthegriff »

Interesting to see six players selected from Bath, they must have had a brilliant season. Pleased to see JVP get a call up and a few others that are not established first choice at their clubs.
Opportunity for Jones to learn first hand about some players whilst leaving out a few who he knows inside out.
ay2oh
Super User
Super User

Post by ay2oh »

So an England get together just b4 the play-offs. You couldn’t make it up :smt017
A2O
Rugbygramps
Super User
Super User

Post by Rugbygramps »

As it is a training squad surprised he is persisting with Ewels and Tuilagi.

The actual squad will be interesting for me especially at 9, will Youngs go, it may be he doesn’t want to, or will those 3 named go and see how they get on. I suppose from Lenny point of view he will want another World Cup as his possible swan song.

From Tigers Kelly and Potter can count themselves unlucky, though unsure of Kelly’s fitness at present
Rugbygramps
Super User
Super User

Post by Rugbygramps »

ay2oh wrote: Tue May 17, 2022 10:57 am So an England get together just b4 the play-offs. You couldn’t make it up :smt017
Thought it was next week
ay2oh
Super User
Super User

Post by ay2oh »

Rugbygramps wrote: Tue May 17, 2022 10:59 am
ay2oh wrote: Tue May 17, 2022 10:57 am So an England get together just b4 the play-offs. You couldn’t make it up :smt017
Thought it was next week
It is but still a risk of injuries.
A2O
Rugbygramps
Super User
Super User

Post by Rugbygramps »

ay2oh wrote: Tue May 17, 2022 11:03 am
Rugbygramps wrote: Tue May 17, 2022 10:59 am
Thought it was next week
It is but still a risk of injuries.
Well hopefully it will be what it says on the tin and the risk won’t be any higher than if they were training with their clubs.
From Jones point of view it’s probably his last chance certainly before the Barbarians game to look at players they might be involved in the playoffs, so Tigers, Sarries, Quins, Saints/Gloucester
TigerFeetSteve
Super User
Super User

Post by TigerFeetSteve »

Rugbygramps wrote: Tue May 17, 2022 10:59 am As it is a training squad surprised he is persisting with Ewels and Tuilagi.

The actual squad will be interesting for me especially at 9, will Youngs go, it may be he doesn’t want to, or will those 3 named go and see how they get on. I suppose from Lenny point of view he will want another World Cup as his possible swan song.

From Tigers Kelly and Potter can count themselves unlucky, though unsure of Kelly’s fitness at present
Pretty sure given the makeup of this squad that Kelly would have been in if fit.
Used to run around with an 11, 14 or 15 on my back.
WildGoose
Top Cat
Top Cat

Post by WildGoose »

Ewels and Manu are different kettles of fish mind you. Ewels has honestly never looked international standard whereas we all know that Manu - when fit (massive caveat) - is a world XV contender.

I would like to think Chessum will gradually start manoeuvring Ewels out of contention. Eddie likes players who can cover lock and back row so Martin too maybe. Not great for us during International windows but can only be a good thing to have more players involved.

Centre-wise as everyone has said, Kelly would surely be in if fit.

Can only assume he doesn't need to see Ford and Youngs because he knows what he can do. Bailey, Furbank and Randall aren't up to it IMHO (at least not yet), someone else said they preferred Mitchell at 9 and I agree. JvP should show him up too!

Rugbygramps wrote: Tue May 17, 2022 10:59 am As it is a training squad surprised he is persisting with Ewels and Tuilagi.

Rugbygramps
Super User
Super User

Post by Rugbygramps »

WildGoose wrote: Tue May 17, 2022 2:13 pm Ewels and Manu are different kettles of fish mind you. Ewels has honestly never looked international standard whereas we all know that Manu - when fit (massive caveat) - is a world XV contender.

I would like to think Chessum will gradually start manoeuvring Ewels out of contention. Eddie likes players who can cover lock and back row so Martin too maybe. Not great for us during International windows but can only be a good thing to have more players involved.

Can only assume he doesn't need to see Ford and Youngs because he knows what he can do. Bailey, Furbank and Randall aren't up to it IMHO (at least not yet), someone else said they preferred Mitchell at 9 and I agree. JvP should show him up too!

Excellent point Wildgoose re Ewels and Tuilagi. My concern over Tuilagi, I don’t know if I’m a realist or a pessimist, is that after a 24 hour flight, even turning left on the plane, he’ll need to be eased back into training likely as not pick up a hamstring twinge, and maybe available for the 3rd test.
As you say he knows as much as needs to about certain players, surely Tuilagi is in that bracket, so if he’s that vital to the teams hopes, only wheel him out when necessary and 100% fit
TigerFeetSteve
Super User
Super User

Post by TigerFeetSteve »

Rugbygramps wrote: Tue May 17, 2022 2:51 pm
WildGoose wrote: Tue May 17, 2022 2:13 pm Ewels and Manu are different kettles of fish mind you. Ewels has honestly never looked international standard whereas we all know that Manu - when fit (massive caveat) - is a world XV contender.

Excellent point Wildgoose re Ewels and Tuilagi. My concern over Tuilagi, I don’t know if I’m a realist or a pessimist, is that after a 24 hour flight, even turning left on the plane, he’ll need to be eased back into training likely as not pick up a hamstring twinge, and maybe available for the 3rd test.
As you say he knows as much as needs to about certain players, surely Tuilagi is in that bracket, so if he’s that vital to the teams hopes, only wheel him out when necessary and 100% fit
Sticking Tuilagi in this squad may be as much for England’s medical staff to actually take a look at him, not just take the word of Sale's medical staff. Rather than for seeing what he can do.
Used to run around with an 11, 14 or 15 on my back.
Offside
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Offside »

Interesting to see George McGuigan in. He has stepped up at Newcastle this year so he deserves a cap and probably more so than Dolly.

I do not think Mitchell is international standard. Tries had and can do well when the pack is on top but not the level of decision making required in my view.