LEICESTER TIGERS 2021/22 SQUAD/TRANSFERS/CONTRACTS: Steve Borthwick and the Chamber of Oval Park

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

bendy

Re: LEICESTER TIGERS 2021/22 SQUAD/TRANSFERS/CONTRACTS: Steve Borthwick and the Chamber of Oval Park

Post by bendy »

Old Hob wrote: Wed May 18, 2022 10:48 am
Scott1 wrote: Wed May 18, 2022 9:26 am Manz would be a monstrous 6. He's 6,6 18+ stone already isn't he and still growing. Will most definitely end up in the row
Yah, I mean, hi dude, like what's with this "row" jive, man? I mean, it's not like it's the first time I've seen it but, well, um, you know "The" row? I thought there were two.
Three, even.
Rugbygramps
Super User
Super User

Re: LEICESTER TIGERS 2021/22 SQUAD/TRANSFERS/CONTRACTS: Steve Borthwick and the Chamber of Oval Park

Post by Rugbygramps »

Commonly referred to as the row. Even Big Benny Kay uses it
Old Hob
Super User
Super User

Post by Old Hob »

bendy wrote: Wed May 18, 2022 11:00 am
Scott1 wrote: Wed May 18, 2022 9:26 am Manz would be a monstrous 6. He's 6,6 18+ stone already isn't he and still growing. Will most definitely end up in the row
Yah, I mean, hi dude, like what's with this "row" jive, man? I mean, it's not like it's the first time I've seen it but, well, um, you know "The" row? I thought there were two.
Three, even.
Indeed, but us cool dudes struggle with the higher mathematics yah all. I mean, the row to me means death, skid or Rotten.
Omnia dicta fortiora si dicta Latina
TigerFeetSteve
Super User
Super User

Post by TigerFeetSteve »

https://youtu.be/8rNyTuzARNM

Agbonbon's highlights are here btw in case anyone wants to watch
Used to run around with an 11, 14 or 15 on my back.
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

Tbf I don't like it either! 😂 it's just stuck with me from on here.
"Rugby isn't a contact sport,ballroom dancing is a contact sport. Rugby is a collision sport" Heyneke Meyer
TigerFeetSteve
Super User
Super User

Post by TigerFeetSteve »

Reffell confirmed in the Wales squad to tour South Africa.

If we want him to extend we have to do it quick...

https://www.leicestertigers.com/news/wales-squad-may22
wigworth
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by wigworth »

TigerFeetSteve wrote: Wed May 18, 2022 12:48 pm Reffell confirmed in the Wales squad to tour South Africa.

Given this news I wouldn't be holding my breath that he resigns here unfortunately.
Last edited by wigworth on Wed May 18, 2022 12:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
TigerXV

Post by TigerXV »

TigerFeetSteve wrote: Wed May 18, 2022 12:48 pm Reffell confirmed in the Wales squad to tour South Africa.

is it the case that as soon as he gets a cap (does it have to be an international rather than a game against a club/region?) then the current contract length/60 cap rule kicks in? does he have a year left on his existing contract?
johnthegriff
Super User
Super User

Post by johnthegriff »

Tom Manz when playing for the Under 18's same time as Martin Steward etc played in the 2nd Row, he impressed me as a hardworking lock and would I am sure have progressed further were it not for injury and the pandemic which prevented a lot of young players getting any rugby at all. He must have shown up well on the training ground to get a new contract, he certainly has the size and work ethic to make it as a lock.
TigerFeetSteve
Super User
Super User

Post by TigerFeetSteve »

TigerXV wrote: Wed May 18, 2022 12:55 pm

is it the case that as soon as he gets a cap (does it have to be an international rather than a game against a club/region?) then the current contract length/60 cap rule kicks in? does he have a year left on his existing contract?
Yes as soon as capped he can no longer sign an extension whilst remaining eligible for internationals.

I believe it's a year left (though not officially confirmed)
anz3001
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by anz3001 »

I’d be surprised if he hasn’t already signed an extension.
TigerXV

Post by TigerXV »

TigerFeetSteve wrote: Wed May 18, 2022 1:05 pm
TigerXV wrote: Wed May 18, 2022 12:55 pm

Yes as soon as capped he can no longer sign an extension whilst remaining eligible for internationals.

I believe it's a year left (though not officially confirmed)
thanks! I know there are a lot of extension talks going on across the board so fingers crossed
ads
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by ads »

New 6 year contract should give him enough time to get 60 caps for wales!!
Rugbygramps
Super User
Super User

Post by Rugbygramps »

Really difficult decision for him. In many ways wallet or heart. I very much doubt that he has signed a contract extension and we would I guess be looking to make it a 2 or 3 year deal. I’m sure it will be a good offer, but open sides aren’t at the top of the earning tree. He won’t get the same offer from a welsh region, but it would allow him to play test rugby, not sure how much a welsh international gets per game.
So does he stay have a potential higher guaranteed income and play a better standard of rugby week in week out, or move to one of the welsh regions and hopefully have a decent test career, which is by no means certain the way the Welsh get through open sides.
If it was me, having just turned 23, I would try my luck in Wales and if it didn’t work out after a couple of seasons would still be young enough to ply my trade elsewhere
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

Did Manz get picked in the 23 of one of the Covid cancelled games? Or was he picked in a game once and didn't come off the bench? It's in my head for some reason, I was really looking forward to seeing him
Last edited by Scott1 on Wed May 18, 2022 2:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Rugby isn't a contact sport,ballroom dancing is a contact sport. Rugby is a collision sport" Heyneke Meyer