LEICESTER TIGERS 2021/22 SQUAD/TRANSFERS/CONTRACTS: Steve Borthwick and the Chamber of Oval Park

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

Dokie
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: LEICESTER TIGERS 2021/22 SQUAD/TRANSFERS/CONTRACTS: Steve Borthwick and the Chamber of Oval Park

Post by Dokie »

anz3001 wrote: Tue May 31, 2022 7:36 pm Fordy looks a lot happier than Moroni about it.

Hope you’s are right.
That’s because he’s ended up with an Argentinian shirt whilst Moroni’s had to make do with an English one!
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Re: LEICESTER TIGERS 2021/22 SQUAD/TRANSFERS/CONTRACTS: Steve Borthwick and the Chamber of Oval Park

Post by Scott1 »

Dokie wrote: Tue May 31, 2022 7:53 pm
anz3001 wrote: Tue May 31, 2022 7:36 pm Fordy looks a lot happier than Moroni about it.

Hope you’s are right.
That’s because he’s ended up with an Argentinian shirt whilst Moroni’s had to make do with an English one!
😂👍
"Rugby isn't a contact sport,ballroom dancing is a contact sport. Rugby is a collision sport" Heyneke Meyer
ay2oh
Super User
Super User

Post by ay2oh »

Scott1 wrote: Tue May 31, 2022 7:55 pm

Hope you’s are right.
😂👍
Could have been worse could have been a Welsh shirt.
A2O
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

ay2oh wrote: Tue May 31, 2022 9:24 pm
Scott1 wrote: Tue May 31, 2022 7:55 pm
😂👍
Could have been worse could have been a Welsh shirt.
With AWJ printed on the back 🤮
"Rugby isn't a contact sport,ballroom dancing is a contact sport. Rugby is a collision sport" Heyneke Meyer
TigerFeetSteve
Super User
Super User

Post by TigerFeetSteve »

Moroni has been left out of the Argentina squad for their summer internationals, Montoya is captain though.

https://twitter.com/lospumas/status/153 ... 7mJsg&s=19

Instead Moroni is in the essentially Argentina equivalent of the Englands old Saxons team

https://twitter.com/argentina_xv/status ... eCzTw&s=19
Used to run around with an 11, 14 or 15 on my back.
Pellsey
Super User
Super User

Post by Pellsey »

TigerFeetSteve wrote: Tue May 31, 2022 10:31 pm Instead Moroni is in the essentially Argentina equivalent of the Englands old Saxons team

https://twitter.com/argentina_xv/status ... eCzTw&s=19
This could work in our favour in terms of contract negotiations...
Hot_Charlie
Super User
Super User

Post by Hot_Charlie »

TigerFeetSteve wrote: Mon May 30, 2022 4:15 pm
kpj tiger wrote: Mon May 30, 2022 4:02 pm Random thought but does anybody know what happened with Leigh Jones? Don't remember seeing anything to do with him after the initial announcement
Was definitely still in the role a few weeks ago.

If you read the representation here on Chessum's citing he was there in attendance with Ollie. His name has been on most if not all of our citing reports as being in attendance supporting our players

https://djl5pr6hub29v.cloudfront.net/ep ... CISION.pdf
Arguably his role is very much a "back office" one. He was never going to be front and centre with the playing/coaching staff.
Pmvl
Top Cat
Top Cat

Post by Pmvl »

I had a brief chat with Moroni on Monday evening at the awards night, he clearly stated he hadn’t resigned for us, he actually said that tigers did not want him to resign. I know there’s a language barrier so don’t know if they’ve not offered him a new contract or if they have it’s not what he was expecting or something else.
Postiger2
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Postiger2 »

Pmvl wrote: Wed Jun 01, 2022 8:07 am I had a brief chat with Moroni on Monday evening at the awards night, he clearly stated he hadn’t resigned for us, he actually said that tigers did not want him to resign. I know there’s a language barrier so don’t know if they’ve not offered him a new contract or if they have it’s not what he was expecting or something else.
That's a real shame. I say it every week, Moroni is a class act. Would be very disappointed to see him leave.
TigerFeetSteve
Super User
Super User

Post by TigerFeetSteve »

Pmvl wrote: Wed Jun 01, 2022 8:07 am I had a brief chat with Moroni on Monday evening at the awards night, he clearly stated he hadn’t resigned for us, he actually said that tigers did not want him to resign. I know there’s a language barrier so don’t know if they’ve not offered him a new contract or if they have it’s not what he was expecting or something else.
That is along the lines of one of the rumours I'd heard which was that he hadn't been offered a contract to re-sign. So starting to hear the same info from multiple places, does suggest of the two rumours I've heard it's the one most likely to be correct.

Not gonna lie though, am gutted if we've not even made an effort to keep him, only thing I can think is overseas rules if he doesn't have say an Italian passport...
Used to run around with an 11, 14 or 15 on my back.
Leicestertinytiger
Super User
Super User

Post by Leicestertinytiger »

Plenty of clubs are in a difficult spot with the salary cap going down 25%. I always thought it was odd he came out publicly saying he wanted to stay - got Salvi vibes in that possibly there was no longer a contract on the table.

We obviously need to make savings and with Scott and Porter both 13 being their best position I can see why the decision has been made. Think Moroni is the better player but we can’t afford to keep everyone.
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

Damn shame,one of the best defenders in the world down that channel. Reads the game incredibly well.
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Post by RagingBull »

From what I heard Tigers wanted to look at someone more available.
Rugbygramps
Super User
Super User

Post by Rugbygramps »

Unfortunately budget restraints mean we can’t keep everyone. With Kelly nailing down the 12 shirt when fit, Gopperth coming in, Pollard more than capable of playing there, you then have Porter Scott Cocanasinga as very good 13 options. Very well stocked
ay2oh
Super User
Super User

Post by ay2oh »

Moroni is undoubtedly our best 13 but with salary cap restrictions we can’t keep everyone.
A2O