LEICESTER TIGERS 2021/22 SQUAD/TRANSFERS/CONTRACTS: Steve Borthwick and the Chamber of Oval Park

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

westwinds31
Super User
Super User

Re: LEICESTER TIGERS 2021/22 SQUAD/TRANSFERS/CONTRACTS: Steve Borthwick and the Chamber of Oval Park

Post by westwinds31 »

Aside from the fact that there's been no announcement on Moroni yet, the only other thing we have to go on, is the Rolling Maul podcast of a few weeks ago, that stated that, from a "reliable source" - and there's no reason to doubt that, as they have a good track record - that Moroni is going to sign. With Taute and Socino more than likely moving on, I'm confident that he'll be with us next season.
TigerFeetSteve
Super User
Super User

Re: LEICESTER TIGERS 2021/22 SQUAD/TRANSFERS/CONTRACTS: Steve Borthwick and the Chamber of Oval Park

Post by TigerFeetSteve »

With Moroni I've heard conflicting rumours from people. So these are entirely my thoughts on it ignoring rumors I've heard.

In favour of him signing
1 - no rumours from elsewhere, pretty much wherever he went he would be a big name signing so you'd think there would be an announcement somewhere.
2 - most big name announcements seem to have happened. From a PR point of view if a player as big as Moroni left, the club would want a big name replacement, even if a different position to be announced. The fact is we've announced the likes of Watson already when we could have saved it to be a tonic after bad news.
3 - Rolling Maul Pod reckoned his extension was close. Obviously have some info coming to them, so this isn't just made up, so the rumour hopefully has merit.
4 - He publicly stated he'd like to stay

Against him staying
1 - Not announced on our big popcorn day when you'd think he would have been if all signed in time
2 - Been a while since the Rolling Maul Pod thought it was close, in fact that was well prior to our popcorn day. If he was close then you'd have thought he would have been signed sealed and announcement the other week.
3 - When we signed him, we likely got him very cheap vs his value (Jaguares collapsing in Covid, very few other teams with his sort of cap space when he left, but we had the player walkout leaving us late cap space). However we probably can't provide an uplift with the cap coming down.

All in all, with everything considered I am really on the fence which way it'll go. Every time I start leaning one way, something else always pops up.
Used to run around with an 11, 14 or 15 on my back.
kpj tiger
Super User
Super User

Post by kpj tiger »

Random thought but does anybody know what happened with Leigh Jones? Don't remember seeing anything to do with him after the initial announcement
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Post by RagingBull »

Nothing has changed he’s still GM.

He’s just one of those rare people who genuinely sticks to the behind scenes stuff.

https://www.leicestertigers.com/news/ti ... t-saturday
TigerFeetSteve
Super User
Super User

Post by TigerFeetSteve »

kpj tiger wrote: Mon May 30, 2022 4:02 pm Random thought but does anybody know what happened with Leigh Jones? Don't remember seeing anything to do with him after the initial announcement
Was definitely still in the role a few weeks ago.

If you read the representation here on Chessum's citing he was there in attendance with Ollie. His name has been on most if not all of our citing reports as being in attendance supporting our players

https://djl5pr6hub29v.cloudfront.net/ep ... CISION.pdf
Tiglon
Super User
Super User

Post by Tiglon »

Rugbygramps wrote: Mon May 30, 2022 2:11 pm
Leicestertinytiger wrote: Mon May 30, 2022 2:00 pm https://www.leicestermercury.co.uk/spor ... ut-7143870

Just get the feeling Moroni is off :smt010
I just wonder where he would go with the French having to use more home grown players now. Not that he wouldn’t be a fantastic signing for someone, but I don’t feel he would move to another premiership club either. Maybe Leinster with Conteponi as their backs coach, but they have no shortage of backs and have just signed Charlie Naghti
I think Contepomi is going to the Pumas at the end of the season, and Leinster already have their non-Irish quota lined up for next season.
Rugbygramps
Super User
Super User

Post by Rugbygramps »

Tiglon wrote: Mon May 30, 2022 4:54 pm
Rugbygramps wrote: Mon May 30, 2022 2:11 pm
Leicestertinytiger wrote: Mon May 30, 2022 2:00 pm https://www.leicestermercury.co.uk/spor ... ut-7143870

Just get the feeling Moroni is off :smt010
I just wonder where he would go with the French having to use more home grown players now. Not that he wouldn’t be a fantastic signing for someone, but I don’t feel he would move to another premiership club either. Maybe Leinster with Conteponi as their backs coach, but they have no shortage of backs and have just signed Charlie Naghti
I think Contepomi is going to the Pumas at the end of the season, and Leinster already have their non-Irish quota lined up for next season.
Thanks Tiglon
CricketSeanie

Post by CricketSeanie »

My thoughts on the Moroni contract may be a double or even treble Argentinian day.

Very strong rumours Montoya is close to signing an extension, tie that in with Moroni contract renewal and potentially and Argentinian Loosie to come in for Ellis. Would have to be European passport player mind you for quota reasons
TigerFeetSteve
Super User
Super User

Post by TigerFeetSteve »

https://www.coventryrugby.co.uk/confirm ... ing-squad/

Sam Aspland-Robinson confirmed as leaving Cov
Jimmy Skitz
Super User
Super User

Post by Jimmy Skitz »

TigerFeetSteve wrote: Mon May 30, 2022 6:10 pm https://www.coventryrugby.co.uk/confirm ... ing-squad/

did that really need confirming seeing as he was only there on loan?
TigerFeetSteve
Super User
Super User

Post by TigerFeetSteve »

Jimmy Skitz wrote: Mon May 30, 2022 6:13 pm
TigerFeetSteve wrote: Mon May 30, 2022 6:10 pm https://www.coventryrugby.co.uk/confirm ... ing-squad/

did that really need confirming seeing as he was only there on loan?
Sometimes they do either extend loans or sign permanently
anz3001
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by anz3001 »

Fordy and Moroni exchanging National shirts….Nooooo……..
Rugbygramps
Super User
Super User

Post by Rugbygramps »

Fordy is off
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

anz3001 wrote: Tue May 31, 2022 7:20 pm Fordy and Moroni exchanging National shirts….Nooooo……..
Ford is off ,doesn’t necessarily mean Moroni is mate
"Rugby isn't a contact sport,ballroom dancing is a contact sport. Rugby is a collision sport" Heyneke Meyer
anz3001
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by anz3001 »

Fordy looks a lot happier than Moroni about it.

Hope you’s are right.