LEICESTER TIGERS 2021/22 SQUAD/TRANSFERS/CONTRACTS: Steve Borthwick and the Chamber of Oval Park

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

Rugbygramps
Super User
Super User

Re: LEICESTER TIGERS 2021/22 SQUAD/TRANSFERS/CONTRACTS: Steve Borthwick and the Chamber of Oval Park

Post by Rugbygramps »

I think Edwards has casually thrown is hat in the ring and would be a good choice. As for Borthwick like others I feel it is still too early for him, he could let another World Cup rotation go by and still be young enough.

As a slight aside it does seem that premiership coaching teams are becoming younger and more home grown. Top of my head, Borthwick, Walder, Sanderson, Skivington, Jones and Evans at Quins, Vesty and Dawson at Saints next season.
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Re: LEICESTER TIGERS 2021/22 SQUAD/TRANSFERS/CONTRACTS: Steve Borthwick and the Chamber of Oval Park

Post by Scott1 »

I’d like England to go for ROG
"Rugby isn't a contact sport,ballroom dancing is a contact sport. Rugby is a collision sport" Heyneke Meyer
Postiger2
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Postiger2 »

Shaun Edwards for me. Fantastically successful coach with insider knowledge on both Wales and France which could be priceless in itself. He's the man I'd like to see get the job, personally.
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Post by RagingBull »

Honestly could see Edwards being Borthwick's defence coach. If it happens
westwinds31
Super User
Super User

Post by westwinds31 »

I agree with anz3001 - can you see Borthwick after the first of the autumn Internationals saying “we’re just looking to get better and improve with every game”. You don’t have that luxury with the national team. Plus the media are all over you like a rash, it would take a strong stance to bat off the worlds media and keep your cards close to your chest. Part of the national squad set up is to promote the game etc - Jones was at our local club on Thursday and he was superb, helping players out, coaching, chatting with the younger lads. I’m not saying Borthwick wouldn’t do that just that he’s not in that mould.
Rugbygramps
Super User
Super User

Post by Rugbygramps »

westwinds31 wrote: Sun May 22, 2022 11:26 am I agree with anz3001 - can you see Borthwick after the first of the autumn Internationals saying “we’re just looking to get better and improve with every game”. You don’t have that luxury with the national team. Plus the media are all over you like a rash, it would take a strong stance to bat off the worlds media and keep your cards close to your chest. Part of the national squad set up is to promote the game etc - Jones was at our local club on Thursday and he was superb, helping players out, coaching, chatting with the younger lads. I’m not saying Borthwick wouldn’t do that just that he’s not in that mould.
All the kids would be worried he was going to use the Elder wand on them
Wayne Richardson Fan Club
Super User
Super User

Post by Wayne Richardson Fan Club »

In many ways Tigers in the 22/23 season is much more a reflection of where we are as a team & Borthwick is as a Head Coach, to me the "easy" things have been sorted.

At present Borthwick just wouldn't work off field for the RFU, for me the secret squirrel stuff at Tigers is annoying, no way the national media would put up with it.

You do wonder would the lack of day to day control now be an issue.
To win is not as important as playing with style!
Tiglon
Super User
Super User

Post by Tiglon »

If Borthwick gets the job it would be IMO incredibly naive of both him and the RFU. He'd also need a really top notch backs/attack coach who is willing to work within SB's rigid parameters and also capable of still producing a clinical attack within those rigid parameters.

Sure, he might be a huge success, but I'd give that a 50/50 chance and if he fails it would be catastrophic for his coaching career.

England is an end of career job, not an early career job. Depends on how SB sees his career panning out I suppose - maybe he only wants to coach for a few years and then move on to something else.
mol2
Super User
Super User

Post by mol2 »

That something else has to pay the bills.

Being head coach of a major national side is often an end of career thing.
Lancaster is the exception as is Jones but most don’t come back to top club level. This makes it too early for Borthwick.

I just don’t see Sean Edwards wanting to be England defence coach. Top job would probably be the only option that would draw him in to the England set up.
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Post by RagingBull »

Edwards has said he wants to coach England sometime in any capacity
kk20gb30
Super User
Super User

Post by kk20gb30 »

Really a 'No News' day - so they have to print something ...........
Seemingly heading rapidly toward senility .....Not long or far to go now , in fact, getting worse daily.....
bendy

Post by bendy »

What do we reckon - leavers to be announced this week given there's no fixture?

Allows next week to all be about the Wasps match.
TigerFeetSteve
Super User
Super User

Post by TigerFeetSteve »

bendy wrote: Mon May 23, 2022 8:46 am What do we reckon - leavers to be announced this week given there's no fixture?

Depends if all the leavers have been finalised.

For example there's a chance that say had TCD been planned to be released, Dolly being injured may change that.
Used to run around with an 11, 14 or 15 on my back.
ay2oh
Super User
Super User

Post by ay2oh »

TigerFeetSteve wrote: Mon May 23, 2022 9:55 am
bendy wrote: Mon May 23, 2022 8:46 am What do we reckon - leavers to be announced this week given there's no fixture?

For example there's a chance that say had TCD been planned to be released, Dolly being injured may change that.
Think I would sooner see Vanes given a chance than play LCD.
A2O
TigerFeetSteve
Super User
Super User

Post by TigerFeetSteve »

ay2oh wrote: Mon May 23, 2022 10:21 am
TigerFeetSteve wrote: Mon May 23, 2022 9:55 am

Think I would sooner see Vanes given a chance than play LCD.
Definitely, but given we have (if TCD doesn't sign beyons this season) 4 hookers.

Montoya, Dolly, Clare & Vanes

With Montoya missing the start of the season and AI's we need more than 2 options really if Dolly is injured past those timescales (which looked likely)
Used to run around with an 11, 14 or 15 on my back.