LEICESTER TIGERS 2021/22 SQUAD/TRANSFERS/CONTRACTS: Steve Borthwick and the Chamber of Oval Park

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

Rugbygramps
Super User
Super User

Re: LEICESTER TIGERS 2021/22 SQUAD/TRANSFERS/CONTRACTS: Steve Borthwick and the Chamber of Oval Park

Post by Rugbygramps »

I think this is what was known as Gatlands Law. Says it all really
Tigers86asw
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: LEICESTER TIGERS 2021/22 SQUAD/TRANSFERS/CONTRACTS: Steve Borthwick and the Chamber of Oval Park

Post by Tigers86asw »

Lots of chat about the province system. Worth noting that it hasn’t really worked in Wales or Scotland but has in Ireland. Once reason for that I guess- fans go to the games in Ireland.
Rugbygramps
Super User
Super User

Post by Rugbygramps »

Tigers86asw wrote: Sun May 15, 2022 4:43 pm Lots of chat about the province system. Worth noting that it hasn’t really worked in Wales or Scotland but has in Ireland. Once reason for that I guess- fans go to the games in Ireland.
I think another reason is that in Ireland the rugby union and the provinces work together. That isn’t always the case in the other 2 countries
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Post by RagingBull »

The annoying thing about Wales is why does Biggar get a pass but not Reffell?
The crazy thing is he's the welsh captain this 6N's and he would've missed all the extra training days
Jimmy Skitz
Super User
Super User

Post by Jimmy Skitz »

RagingBull wrote: Sun May 15, 2022 4:54 pm The annoying thing about Wales is why does Bigger get a pass but not Reffell?
The crazy thing is he's the welsh captain this 6N's and he would've missed all the extra training days
Rees-Zamit too, bet he’s loving the thought of having to join the regions at the end of this contract
Tigerbeat

Post by Tigerbeat »

RagingBull wrote: Sun May 15, 2022 4:54 pm The annoying thing about Wales is why does Biggar get a pass but not Reffell?
Has Biggar got more than 60 caps…..I thought that allowed him to play outside Wales or am I making that up?
SUPPORT THE MATT HAMPSON TRUST
www.matthampson.co.uk
Tigers86asw
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Tigers86asw »

Coaching deficit as well. Compare the coaching groups in Ireland to that in Wales- wow
sam16111986
Super User
Super User

Post by sam16111986 »

Tigerbeat wrote: Sun May 15, 2022 5:17 pm
RagingBull wrote: Sun May 15, 2022 4:54 pm The annoying thing about Wales is why does Biggar get a pass but not Reffell?
Has Biggar got more than 60 caps…..I thought that allowed him to play outside Wales or am I making that up?
There's a 60 cap exemption that's right. Biggar has 100 caps for Wales and therefore is free to play outside Wales.

Rees-Zammit was rumoured to have signed a four year deal in 2020. He's on 16 caps currently so has a couple more years to get enough caps to avoid having to join a region. Looks unlikely he'll make it.
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Post by RagingBull »

I know why I just don't get the difference?
I get the idea he's paid his dues to welsh rugby, but Reffell isn't even a product of welsh system so why should the limit apply to him?
Nofrontteeth
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by Nofrontteeth »

Rugbygramps wrote: Sun May 15, 2022 4:51 pm
Tigers86asw wrote: Sun May 15, 2022 4:43 pm Lots of chat about the province system. Worth noting that it hasn’t really worked in Wales or Scotland but has in Ireland. Once reason for that I guess- fans go to the games in Ireland.
I think another reason is that in Ireland the rugby union and the provinces work together. That isn’t always the case in the other 2 countries
Not sure but the 'tribal provinces' in the unified Irish rugby map are familiar to Irish sports culture. The GAA factor?
Jimmy Skitz
Super User
Super User

Post by Jimmy Skitz »

the results since they brought this in suggest its hurting the national team too and it must be limiting the player pool as internationals who would be in England or France are taking up a spot where someone else could break through.

And its clearly not helping the regions themselves
Rugbygramps
Super User
Super User

Post by Rugbygramps »

RagingBull wrote: Sun May 15, 2022 6:28 pm I know why I just don't get the difference?
I get the idea he's paid his dues to welsh rugby, but Reffell isn't even a product of welsh system so why should the limit apply to him?
He did play age grade rugby for Wales all the way through, but I do get your point about his rugby education being outside the principality
Jimmy Skitz
Super User
Super User

Post by Jimmy Skitz »

Nofrontteeth wrote: Sun May 15, 2022 6:42 pm
Not sure but the 'tribal provinces' in the unified Irish rugby map are familiar to Irish sports culture. The GAA factor?
imagine if we had regions, if East midlands was based here would Saints fans cheer for them? Or if it was there would our fans cheer for them? Or would those fans simply be lost?
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

Isn’t Reffell the only U20 captain to ever captain them outside of Wales too?
"Rugby isn't a contact sport,ballroom dancing is a contact sport. Rugby is a collision sport" Heyneke Meyer
Rugbygramps
Super User
Super User

Post by Rugbygramps »

Jimmy Skitz wrote: Sun May 15, 2022 6:45 pm
Nofrontteeth wrote: Sun May 15, 2022 6:42 pm

imagine if we had regions, if East midlands was based here would Saints fans cheer for them? Or if it was there would our fans cheer for them? Or would those fans simply be lost?
I think a lot of supporters would be lost certainly in this area, where there is a lot of historical fan bases. In London I’m not so sure there seems to be a lot less geographical boundaries