LEICESTER TIGERS 2021/22 SQUAD/TRANSFERS/CONTRACTS: Steve Borthwick and the Chamber of Oval Park

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

northerntiger
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: LEICESTER TIGERS 2021/22 SQUAD/TRANSFERS/CONTRACTS: Steve Borthwick and the Chamber of Oval Park

Post by northerntiger »

Rugbygramps wrote: Mon May 16, 2022 1:49 pm
Wayne Richardson Fan Club wrote: Mon May 16, 2022 1:17 pm When you think of the level the top Welsh clubs were at pre Professionalism, the current state of affairs is a joke.
This is such a good point, and had Llanelli, Cardiff and Swansea, along with possibly Neath, been left as identities in their own right, rather than having to absorb lesser sides I think it would have been a different story. Giving Newport a region was a joke, they would have been better off spending the money in North Wales, or even further west Tenby etc.
Logically, I would agree, but for the fact the Llanelli and Cardiff were left as identities and seem to have just withered away.
jgriffin
Super User
Super User

Re: LEICESTER TIGERS 2021/22 SQUAD/TRANSFERS/CONTRACTS: Steve Borthwick and the Chamber of Oval Park

Post by jgriffin »

northerntiger wrote: Mon May 16, 2022 4:17 pm
Wayne Richardson Fan Club wrote: Mon May 16, 2022 1:17 pm When you think of the level the top Welsh clubs were at pre Professionalism, the current state of affairs is a joke.
This is such a good point, and had Llanelli, Cardiff and Swansea, along with possibly Neath, been left as identities in their own right, rather than having to absorb lesser sides I think it would have been a different story. Giving Newport a region was a joke, they would have been better off spending the money in North Wales, or even further west Tenby etc.
Logically, I would agree, but for the fact the Llanelli and Cardiff were left as identities and seem to have just withered away.
Cardiff and Llanelli still exist as clubs, albeit in a lower tier. So do Swansea - falling down the tiers slowly - and Neath - almost gone.
Leicester Tigers 1995-
Nottingham 1995-2000
Swansea (Whites) 1988-95
A game played on grass in the open air by teams of XV.
Rugbygramps
Super User
Super User

Post by Rugbygramps »

jgriffin wrote: Mon May 16, 2022 4:22 pm

Cardiff and Llanelli still exist as clubs, albeit in a lower tier. So do Swansea - falling down the tiers slowly - and Neath - almost gone.
They do of course you’re absolutely right., but as you say as rugby entities they are dwindling rather than being left to grow as clubs in their own right, instead of unsuccessful regions.
Early 90s I attended the Neath v Swansea derby at the Gnoll. 7000 packed into all wooden stands I’ve never known anything like it
markharbtiger
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by markharbtiger »

jgriffin wrote: Mon May 16, 2022 4:22 pm

I remember making the trip to Llanelli in the early to mid 90s to watch Rupert Moon (the cousin of a friend of mine) play when that team were a real force...
TigerFeetSteve
Super User
Super User

Post by TigerFeetSteve »

https://www.leicestertigers.com/news/br ... and-sevens

Browning once again in the England 7s squad
Used to run around with an 11, 14 or 15 on my back.
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Post by RagingBull »

Interesting Scarlets announce Steff Hughes is leaving them.
TigerFeetSteve
Super User
Super User

Post by TigerFeetSteve »

RagingBull wrote: Mon May 16, 2022 7:44 pm Interesting Scarlets announce Steff Hughes is leaving them.
Our social media team have also been very quiet today as if busy preparing for something else soon...
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Post by RagingBull »

TigerFeetSteve wrote: Mon May 16, 2022 7:47 pm
RagingBull wrote: Mon May 16, 2022 7:44 pm Interesting Scarlets announce Steff Hughes is leaving them.
Our social media team have also been very quiet today as if busy preparing for something else soon...
Maybe although we have another rest week next weekend.
Slight worry is Moroni and Saumaki off
Faulks04
Top Cat
Top Cat

Post by Faulks04 »

Rob evans will be a decent addition for someone
TigerFeetSteve
Super User
Super User

Post by TigerFeetSteve »

RagingBull wrote: Mon May 16, 2022 7:48 pm
TigerFeetSteve wrote: Mon May 16, 2022 7:47 pm
Maybe although we have another rest week next weekend.
Slight worry is Moroni and Saumaki off
Certainly if Hughes is coming to us I think that would be curtains for Moroni as their wouldn’t be cap space for another centre, Saumaki being off would be concerning, he's done really well IMO and is if Nadolo leaves something a bit different.
Wayne Richardson Fan Club
Super User
Super User

Post by Wayne Richardson Fan Club »

Faulks04 wrote: Mon May 16, 2022 8:00 pm Rob evans will be a decent addition for someone
Very rarely fit these days unfortunately, he has better handling skills than many backs.
A fit Rob Evans would be a very astute signing for most teams.

It is a bit odd we haven't posted the leavers yet unless there are still some negotiations outstanding.
To win is not as important as playing with style!
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Post by RagingBull »

Don't think most premiership club has announced their full list of leavers so not sure how it's odd.
fortysix
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by fortysix »

Who says Saumaki is leaving ? Big loss if so
ay2oh
Super User
Super User

Post by ay2oh »

Agree but if it came down to keeping Saumaki or Kini think I would sooner keep the latter due to his versatility .
A2O
ABClub
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by ABClub »

Saumaki was at the Dragons game at the weekend. He might've just been visiting a friend of course and there's nothing in it. Or maybe they've offered him the security of a longer deal and he wants game time.

Saumaki didn't come into pro rugby until late so it's easy to forget he's already 30-years-old. 11 apps, 10 starts with 5 of those starts in the PRC isn't masses of game time. It could be that at this stage in his career he wants to play more.

I hope he stays. He's a phenomenal athlete and very talented finisher even if there are big holes elsewhere in his game that need improvement.