LEICESTER TIGERS 2021/22 SQUAD/TRANSFERS/CONTRACTS: Steve Borthwick and the Chamber of Oval Park

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

RagingBull
Super User
Super User

LEICESTER TIGERS 2021/22 SQUAD/TRANSFERS/CONTRACTS: Steve Borthwick and the Chamber of Oval Park

Post by RagingBull »

Board of Directors
Chairman: Peter Tom CBE
CEO: Andrea Pinchen
Non-Exec: Petar Cvetkovic
Non-Exec: Duncan Green
Non-Exec: Fintan Kennedy
Non-Exec: Tom Scott

LEICESTER TIGERS COACHING TEAM – SEASON 2020/21
Head Coach: Steve Borthwick
General Manager: Leigh Jones
Head of Senior recruitment: Richard Wilks
Defence Coach: Kevin Sinfield
Scrum Coach: Tom Harrison
Assistant Coach: Matt Smith
Assistant Forwards: Brett Deacon
Head of Physical Performance: Aled Walters
Head of Medical: Simon Wallace
Senior Performance Analyst: Matt Egan
Team Manager: Tessa Carrington
Academy Manager: Dave Wilks
Lead Academy Coach: Geraint Davies
Academy Coach/ACE Head Coach: Greg Mannion
Junior Academy Manager: George Glenn

Senior Players:
Hooker: Clare, Cowan-Dickie, Dolly, Montoya
Props: Cole, Genge, Heyes, Hurd, Leatigaga, Richardson, Van Wyk, Whitcombe,
Locks: O.Chessum, Green, Henderson, Martin, Snyman, Wells,
Back Row: Agbongbon, Liebenberg, Jansen, Reffell, Robinson, Van Staden, Wiese
Scrum Half: Simmons, van Poortvliet, Wigglesworth, Youngs
Fly Half: Burns, Ford,
Centre: Kelly, Moroni, Porter, Scott, Socino, Taute,
Winger: Aslpand-Robinson, Ashton, Nadolo Olowofela, Potter, Saumaki,
Full Back: Hegarty, Murimurivalu, Steward,

Rumoured IN

Rumoured OUT

IN
Tom Cowan-Dickie (Cornish Pirates)
Tomiwa Agbongbon (Loughborough)
Handre Pollard
Olly Robinson (Cardiff) (Loan for the season)
Jimmy Gopperth (Wasps)
Sean Jansen (Otago) (Short term contract)
Chris Ashton (Free Agent)
James Cronin (Biarritz)
Phil Cokansigna (London Irish)
Olly Cracknell (London Irish)
Anthony Watson (Bath)

OUT
George Ford (Sale)
Thom Smith (Doncaster Knights)
Ellis Genge (Bristol)
Cyle Brink (Bulls)
Kobus Van Wyk
Dan Lancaster (Ealing)
Tom Youngs (Retirement)

Re-signed
Nic Dolly
Guy Porter
Joe Heyes
Calum Green
Harry Potter
Matt Scott
Hanro Liebenberg
Chris Ashton
Sean Jansen
Richard Wigglesworth
Harry Simmons
Kini Murimurivalu

Development Squad
Hooker: Vanes
Props: Hoyt, Rowntree, Smith,
Locks: L.Chessum, Manz,
Back Row: Ilione,
Scrum Half: Law, Edwards
Fly Half: Walsh
Centre: Cusick
Wings: Browning,
Full Back:

IN
Jed Walsh (NSW Waratahs)

Re-Signings
Archie Vanes
Tom Manz
Emeka Ilione
Sam Edwards
Jacob Cusick
Joe Browning
Last edited by RagingBull on Fri May 13, 2022 8:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Re: LEICESTER TIGERS 2021/22 SQUAD/TRANSFERS/CONTRACTS: Steve Borthwick and the Chamber of Oval Park

Post by Scott1 »

Excellent work as always RB!
"Rugby isn't a contact sport,ballroom dancing is a contact sport. Rugby is a collision sport" Heyneke Meyer
TigerFeetSteve
Super User
Super User

Re: LEICESTER TIGERS 2021/22 SQUAD/TRANSFERS/CONTRACTS: Steve Borthwick and the Chamber of Oval Park

Post by TigerFeetSteve »

Brilliant as ever RB!
Used to run around with an 11, 14 or 15 on my back.
westwinds31
Super User
Super User

Post by westwinds31 »

Cheers RB great work !
TigerFeetSteve
Super User
Super User

Post by TigerFeetSteve »

So basically the club have announced all the signings there's really been any noise about, so how many "under the radar signings" do we think.

David Odiase seems to be to only other one that's been heard of at all.

https://www.onrugby.it/2022/05/10/itali ... er-series/
KiwiTig
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by KiwiTig »

Great work RB …I can’t believe how good things are getting …
Rugbygramps
Super User
Super User

Post by Rugbygramps »

TigerFeetSteve wrote: Fri May 13, 2022 9:43 pm So basically the club have announced all the signings there's really been any noise about, so how many "under the radar signings" do we think.

Different times I know one less marquee player and smaller budget, but you just never know. As I remember both Taufua and Nadolo weren’t being mentioned at all then all of sudden they were announced.
Shame what happened with Taufua one of my favourite all time players and could have been a Tigers great. At Lyon now so be good to see how he goes against Willis
TigerFeetSteve
Super User
Super User

Post by TigerFeetSteve »

Rugbygramps wrote: Sat May 14, 2022 8:20 am
TigerFeetSteve wrote: Fri May 13, 2022 9:43 pm So basically the club have announced all the signings there's really been any noise about, so how many "under the radar signings" do we think.

Different times I know one less marquee player and smaller budget, but you just never know. As I remember both Taufua and Nadolo weren’t being mentioned at all then all of sudden they were announced.
Shame what happened with Taufua one of my favourite all time players and could have been a Tigers great. At Lyon now so be good to see how he goes against Willis
True, for me the rest may come in drips and drabs, i.e. we've had our big day, but now we're trying to sort out final signatures or not.

For example Moroni, not yet announced, but also he's not been announced anywhere else yet. Now if someone had signed him I think he'd have been announced, which to me gives hope that he's still either negotiating (hopefully with us, but maybe with someone else).

Also backing that up is the lack of the leavers list being published which may suggest it's not defined
DeadlyDunc
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by DeadlyDunc »

From my point of view it’s a great sign that the season upon season churn of the squad is ending and we can look forward to seeing some stability.

Losing 10-15 of your first team squad every season is a short term plan - keeping as many as you can whilst accepting some will move for various reasons (more money, family, business, end of career etc) gives us a solid backbone.

As I’ve mentioned before if the likes of Whitcombe, Dolly, Clare, Heyes, Wells, Green, Chessum, Martin, Reffell, JVP, Kelly, Porter, Potter, Steward et al form the core of the squad for the next 5-10 years then the sprinkling of world class players like Montoya, Wiese, Hanro, Pollard, Nadolo etc and the boys& experience of the likes of WW and Gopperth should give us a chance to create a long term plan to compete at the top end in England and Europe.

I suppose it might make end of season transfers more boring but that’s okay for the advantage of the above.

Exciting times!
FrontRowUnionMember
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by FrontRowUnionMember »

I think any further incomings will be under the radar lower profile signings to cover departures. Either non Super Rugby signings from Southern Hemisphere like Porter, Potter & Jansen, or players from below top tier in domestic game, like Kelly, Chessum, Richardson etc.
Maybe Aniebonam at hooker if TCD goes.
Maybe a project prop if Leatigaga goes, or else place faith in Richardson, Hoyt, Rowntree & Smith to fill the gap.
Back 5 I can’t see any additions maybe beyond Odiase if that rumour is true.
Can’t see any more additions at 9 & 10.
Three quarters, maybe if Moroni leaves we’ll bring someone in, but I can’t see us replacing Nadolo like for like, unless a big unit punt from the NPC teams pops up. I think we’ll go with what we have. Maybe Williams from Notts to cover 13 & wing at most.
Think the next phase of incomings (if any) will be more project/development types to cover but still fall within the cap reduction, and maintain stability if the core squad.
Leicestertinytiger
Super User
Super User

Post by Leicestertinytiger »

One of the main precursors to success as shown by Sarries and Exeter is having a settled squad fed by the academy. I think all things considered we’re building nicely and glad to see we’ve moved away from the constant churn every season.

Just fingers crossed Moroni stays and I think everyone will be very happy.
Ian Cant
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Ian Cant »

I cannot remember which paper I read it in but I’m sure the article stated Moroni had, along with Reffell, got another season with Tigers.
I hope so as both are crucial to Tigers being successful.
aslongaswebeatsaints
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by aslongaswebeatsaints »

Rugbygramps wrote: Sat May 14, 2022 8:20 am

Taufua steamrolling over Hogg on the way to a try is still one of my favourite memories of recent years.
Jimmy Skitz
Super User
Super User

Post by Jimmy Skitz »

The Rugby Paper says Tommy Reffell will be called up by Wales this week
TigerFeetSteve
Super User
Super User

Post by TigerFeetSteve »

Jimmy Skitz wrote: Sun May 15, 2022 1:06 am The Rugby Paper says Tommy Reffell will be called up by Wales this week
Will be interesting if we try and tie him to an extension before they cap him.