LEICESTER TIGERS 2021/22 SQUAD/TRANSFERS/CONTRACTS: Steve Borthwick and the Chamber of Oval Park

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

TigerFeetSteve
Super User
Super User

Re: LEICESTER TIGERS 2021/22 SQUAD/TRANSFERS/CONTRACTS: Steve Borthwick and the Chamber of Oval Park

Post by TigerFeetSteve »

I wonder if he does have any other citizenship other than Argentine? It may help to explain the decision when combined with other retained and newly signed centre options.
Used to run around with an 11, 14 or 15 on my back.
Faulks04
Top Cat
Top Cat

Re: LEICESTER TIGERS 2021/22 SQUAD/TRANSFERS/CONTRACTS: Steve Borthwick and the Chamber of Oval Park

Post by Faulks04 »

Hopefully we get to see Marco van staden more next year he will be like a new signing . Although I get a feeling we may not see him again , got a funny feeling about matera who is coming back to Europe , destination to be disclosed soon
Postiger2
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Postiger2 »

Really disappointed to see Matias leave, as an ex-centre myself I have a soft spot for players in that position and I think Matias is a fabulously talented player. Defensively he's nigh-on perfect.

Sad to see him go, made harder by the fact he clearly wanted to stay.
sapajo
Super User
Super User

Post by sapajo »

Faulks04 wrote: Tue Jun 21, 2022 10:06 pm Hopefully we get to see Marco van staden more next year he will be like a new signing . Although I get a feeling we may not see him again , got a funny feeling about matera who is coming back to Europe , destination to be disclosed soon
Matera 😍 that would be a truly epic signing
Without hope we are nothing, keep the faith, a Tiger for eternity
Faulks04
Top Cat
Top Cat

Post by Faulks04 »

Based on no info obviously other than my suspicious mind
TigerFeetSteve
Super User
Super User

Post by TigerFeetSteve »

Can't see it personally tbh...

Ok even if Van Staden were to not return our back row looks pretty immense

Liebenberg
Reffell
Wiese
Martin
Cracknell
Jansen
Agbongbon
Ilione
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Post by RagingBull »

Matera signed for a Japanese club
sam16111986
Super User
Super User

Post by sam16111986 »

TigerFeetSteve wrote: Tue Jun 21, 2022 9:36 pm I wonder if he does have any other citizenship other than Argentine? It may help to explain the decision when combined with other retained and newly signed centre options.
Gopperth is surely qualified on residency by now. Cokanasiga is English born.

It's probably down to having to cut a centre somewhere and Moroni being more expensive than our other options but likely missing through international call ups. Not a decision the club would have liked to make but the salary cap reduction is seems to have forced our hand.
markharbtiger
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by markharbtiger »

RagingBull wrote: Wed Jun 22, 2022 5:03 am Matera signed for a Japanese club
That may be so. But on social media Paul Tait has recently connected him to a European club, and he usually isn't off target with Argentine players...
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Post by RagingBull »

NZ press are saying Honda Heat
TigerFeetSteve
Super User
Super User

Post by TigerFeetSteve »

Also worth pointing out with Moroni, Kelly, Scott and now Porter that's all our 4 primary centre options who have been in international setups in the last year. Add Pollard to the list and bringing in Gopperth and Cokanasiga who won't be is sensible.
DeadlyDunc
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by DeadlyDunc »

TigerFeetSteve wrote: Wed Jun 22, 2022 7:44 am Also worth pointing out with Moroni, Kelly, Scott and now Porter that's all our 4 primary centre options who have been in international setups in the last year. Add Pollard to the list and bringing in Gopperth and Cokanasiga who won't be is sensible.
Very good point - hadn’t thought of that
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Post by RagingBull »

with the state of the rumours going there is the slight worry that Montoya isn’t actually close to signing a long term deal with tigers early as has been stated …
Faulks04
Top Cat
Top Cat

Post by Faulks04 »

Moroni confirmed by Newcastle on a 2 year deal
sapajo
Super User
Super User

Post by sapajo »

RagingBull wrote: Wed Jun 22, 2022 10:49 am with the state of the rumours going there is the slight worry that Montoya isn’t actually close to signing a long term deal with tigers early as has been stated …
Hate to say it as a big Moroni fan , but for me Montoya is different gravy and a truly world class player who has performed magnificently for Tigers all season. I sincerely hope we can secure his signature on a long term deal.
Last edited by sapajo on Wed Jun 22, 2022 11:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
Without hope we are nothing, keep the faith, a Tiger for eternity