LEICESTER TIGERS 2021/22 SQUAD/TRANSFERS/CONTRACTS: Steve Borthwick and the Chamber of Oval Park

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

loretta
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: LEICESTER TIGERS 2021/22 SQUAD/TRANSFERS/CONTRACTS: Steve Borthwick and the Chamber of Oval Park

Post by loretta »

K'poku may have been disillusioned with English rugby before moving to Lyon, but he did come through Sarries' academy during the dodgy years. I can imagine he might want to come back and have a go at England caps, now the stink has had a chance to wear off.
In my defence, I was left unsupervised….
Hot_Charlie
Super User
Super User

Re: LEICESTER TIGERS 2021/22 SQUAD/TRANSFERS/CONTRACTS: Steve Borthwick and the Chamber of Oval Park

Post by Hot_Charlie »

loretta wrote: Wed May 25, 2022 9:48 am K'poku may have been disillusioned with English rugby before moving to Lyon, but he did come through Sarries' academy during the dodgy years. I can imagine he might want to come back and have a go at England caps, now the stink has had a chance to wear off.
I imagine the chance to work with SB is also a good attraction.
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Post by RagingBull »

Well would he been here during Borthwick time?
westwinds31
Super User
Super User

Post by westwinds31 »

RagingBull wrote: Wed May 25, 2022 11:22 am Well would he been here during Borthwick time?
We've gone 360 ! Back to the "Would Borthwick take the England job" question :smt017
mol2
Super User
Super User

Post by mol2 »

bendy wrote: Wed May 25, 2022 8:04 am

Bateman announced his retirement. I wonder if he'd do things differently if he had his time again.
I think the move to prop was a mistake.

I guess he knew his time in the game was limited so being unwilling to take a pay cut is perhaps understandable.
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Post by RagingBull »

westwinds31 wrote: Wed May 25, 2022 11:36 am
RagingBull wrote: Wed May 25, 2022 11:22 am Well would he been here during Borthwick time?
We've gone 360 ! Back to the "Would Borthwick take the England job" question :smt017
We’ll I guess it’s pretty relevant to recruitment
Hot_Charlie
Super User
Super User

Post by Hot_Charlie »

westwinds31 wrote: Wed May 25, 2022 11:36 am
It's big maybe. But even IF Borthwick goes, maybe the personalities left might still be attractive if looking to catch a future England coaches' eye!
Hot_Charlie
Super User
Super User

Post by Hot_Charlie »

mol2 wrote: Wed May 25, 2022 11:50 am
bendy wrote: Wed May 25, 2022 8:04 am

Bateman announced his retirement. I wonder if he'd do things differently if he had his time again.
I think the move to prop was a mistake.

I guess he knew his time in the game was limited so being unwilling to take a pay cut is perhaps understandable.
Not sure the move to prop was a mistake - he was making plenty of appearances in each position and was the first player to start in the Premiership in all three front row positions. He went from 3rd/4th choice hooker to 2nd choice prop at times.

He had massive personal issues which would have formed his actions in 2020, and for that he can't be criticised. He had to do what was right for him. A nice touch to particularly thank the Tigers' fans in his message last night.
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

Are we conveniently forgetting the loose lips of a certain player that leaked certain things to the media which shouldn’t have been? Good riddance for me!
"Rugby isn't a contact sport,ballroom dancing is a contact sport. Rugby is a collision sport" Heyneke Meyer
ABClub
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by ABClub »

loretta wrote: Wed May 25, 2022 9:48 am K'poku may have been disillusioned with English rugby before moving to Lyon, but he did come through Sarries' academy during the dodgy years. I can imagine he might want to come back and have a go at England caps, now the stink has had a chance to wear off.
Kpoku isn't the first forward to dominate physically at age grade then take time to adjust to senior rugby. He won't be the last either. There is potentially still a fantastic second row there given his athleticism. There aren't many good lineout jumpers with his physicality.

I'd take Kpoku in a heartbeat. Chessum, Henderson, Martin and Kpoku as young lock options with Manz and Chessum the even younger still also coming through would be a fantastic crop of young locks.

I'm really pleased Manz has got another contract. Always impressed me when I see him play.
Rugbygramps
Super User
Super User

Post by Rugbygramps »

Kpoku and Taufua have been the big players for Lyon this season, be interesting to see how he gets on versus Estebeth on Friday night.
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

Rugbygramps wrote: Wed May 25, 2022 1:27 pm Kpoku and Taufua have been the big players for Lyon this season, be interesting to see how he gets on versus Estebeth on Friday night.
Is Taufua back?
"Rugby isn't a contact sport,ballroom dancing is a contact sport. Rugby is a collision sport" Heyneke Meyer
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

Seems more teams are announcing leavers as of late. Ours must be close
Robespierre
Super User
Super User

Post by Robespierre »

Scott1 wrote: Wed May 25, 2022 1:46 pm
Rugbygramps wrote: Wed May 25, 2022 1:27 pm Kpoku and Taufua have been the big players for Lyon this season, be interesting to see how he gets on versus Estebeth on Friday night.
Is Taufua back?
He's been off with a torn calf muscle but I've read that he hopes to be fit for Friday night.
Semper in excretia
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Post by RagingBull »

So Jed Walsh/Morgan Meredith for Lancaster should I think be a decent cap saving.