LEICESTER TIGERS 2021/22 SQUAD/TRANSFERS/CONTRACTS: Steve Borthwick and the Chamber of Oval Park

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

Rugbygramps
Super User
Super User

Re: LEICESTER TIGERS 2021/22 SQUAD/TRANSFERS/CONTRACTS: Steve Borthwick and the Chamber of Oval Park

Post by Rugbygramps »

loretta wrote: Sat May 21, 2022 8:28 am
TigerFeetSteve wrote: Fri May 20, 2022 1:47 pm https://youtu.be/26ktS_YhWIg

Not sure it's been posted on here, but this gives a good insight into the player we're signing
Must have been gutted to miss his last kick in Cov last night. Always been a pain to play against, looking forward to seeing him in our shirt.
He wasn’t happy it was unusual for him as he got underneath it and was probably 5 yards short. He has the ability to hit a low ball, bit like Tigers stinger, comes from years of kicking in windy Wellington
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Re: LEICESTER TIGERS 2021/22 SQUAD/TRANSFERS/CONTRACTS: Steve Borthwick and the Chamber of Oval Park

Post by RagingBull »

David Odiase is a done deal apparently.
TigerFeetSteve
Super User
Super User

Post by TigerFeetSteve »

Think Dolly's injury will mean TCD will definitely get an extension beyond this season. Well unless there's a hooker signing under the radar.
Used to run around with an 11, 14 or 15 on my back.
ABClub
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by ABClub »

Kyle Cooper could be a shrewd signing I think. At 33, having just failed to convert to prop successfully he wouldn't cost a lot but he was a really good hooker before the switch. As a hooker he'd fit Borthwick's style of play.

Completely thinking out loud on my part but I've mentioned before that I'd love Tigers to look at Uruguay's German Kessler. Fantastic hooker, wouldn't break the bank and given he plays the same position as Montoya the foreign player rules wouldn't be effected given they wouldn't be on the pitch at the same time.
ABClub
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by ABClub »

RagingBull wrote: Sat May 21, 2022 7:43 pm David Odiase is a done deal apparently.
Cracking news if so. Odiase looks like a beast of a flanker, a fantastic athlete. He'll also bridge the gap between Ilione and the 4 U18 back rows rumoured to be getting dev squad deals next season.
sam16111986
Super User
Super User

Post by sam16111986 »

ABClub wrote: Sat May 21, 2022 8:36 pm Kyle Cooper could be a shrewd signing I think. At 33, having just failed to convert to prop successfully he wouldn't cost a lot but he was a really good hooker before the switch. As a hooker he'd fit Borthwick's style of play.

Completely thinking out loud on my part but I've mentioned before that I'd love Tigers to look at Uruguay's German Kessler. Fantastic hooker, wouldn't break the bank and given he plays the same position as Montoya the foreign player rules wouldn't be effected given they wouldn't be on the pitch at the same time.
I think Kessler has another season on his contract at Provence.

Cooper wouldn't be a bad one year signing. Big hooker, powerful player who didn't suit the transition to prop. If Montoya is going to be with Argentina for the start of the season we'll need TCD or A N Other to help fill the squad out as otherwise it's just Clare and Vanes.
FrontRowUnionMember
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by FrontRowUnionMember »

You’ve got to wonder if a long term injury to Dolly will change the recruitment dynamics. Equally, if it is a long term injury (sadly) then it opens up an injury dispensation opportunity, adding someone like Cooper or TCD would make a lot of sense. Hopefully for Dolly it’s not as bad as first feared.
TigerFeetSteve
Super User
Super User

Post by TigerFeetSteve »

FrontRowUnionMember wrote: Sat May 21, 2022 10:07 pm You’ve got to wonder if a long term injury to Dolly will change the recruitment dynamics. Equally, if it is a long term injury (sadly) then it opens up an injury dispensation opportunity, adding someone like Cooper or TCD would make a lot of sense. Hopefully for Dolly it’s not as bad as first feared.
Tbh with us knowing that both Montoya and Dolly are possibly in International mixes, I doubt it will be drastically different.

For me Vanes has really come on and will next season be more than ready for a bench spot in the prem.

The only real difference is we may have been planning to let TCD go and tried to get through the Autumn Internationals with Clare and Vanes plus backup from loanees etc, as two of the games then are prem cup anyway.

As it is the Dolly injury means the late summer loss of Montoya will mean that I think any doubt over if we can squeeze through with those is gone. Either Tom Cowan-Dickie signs for next year or he is replaced.
TigerFeetSteve
Super User
Super User

Post by TigerFeetSteve »

TigerFeetSteve wrote: Sat May 21, 2022 10:27 pm
FrontRowUnionMember wrote: Sat May 21, 2022 10:07 pm You’ve got to wonder if a long term injury to Dolly will change the recruitment dynamics. Equally, if it is a long term injury (sadly) then it opens up an injury dispensation opportunity, adding someone like Cooper or TCD would make a lot of sense. Hopefully for Dolly it’s not as bad as first feared.
Tbh with us knowing that both Montoya and Dolly are possibly in International mixes, I doubt it will be drastically different.

For me Vanes has really come on and will next season be more than ready for a bench spot in the prem.

The only real difference is we may have been planning to let TCD go and tried to get through the Autumn Internationals with Clare and Vanes plus backup from loanees etc, as two of the games then are prem cup anyway.

As it is the Dolly injury means the late summer loss of Montoya will mean that I think any doubt over if we can squeeze through with those is gone. Either Tom Cowan-Dickie signs for next year or he is replaced.
That said having thought about it there is am alternative thought. With Dolly possibly eligible for an injury signing it may be that we suddenly have a bit more cap space freed up and we go out and sign a new no.2 no.2, rather than having a small bit given to Cowan-Dickie. Personally though I think that's unlikely.
westwinds31
Super User
Super User

Post by westwinds31 »

It could be a frustrating one, if you go by Tigers “hush hush” policy on injuries. We may never know how severe the Dolly injury is/was, except if November rolls on and he’s still not in the training videos then we know it was as serious as first thought. Rolling maul pod had a good feature on this, whether it’s right that the fans should know about injury details and potential length of time out. I’m 50/50. In the Murphy days, you’d get a vague “<insert player name> will be back in a few weeks”, not knowing if back meant playing or training or other ! So is it best to just not know and be surprised when someone appears on the bench (eg: Henderson) ?
loretta
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by loretta »

Having seen Dolly’s injury on the replays, I can’t see him playing again any time soon. Best of luck to him
In my defence, I was left unsupervised….
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Post by RagingBull »

So according to Fissler on the front page Borthwick is the clear favourite.
Granted given his record of front page news with our coaches that isn't a cert.

Wonder how Borthwick will like this leak if true though given he runs a tight ship.

On the fence personally I feel now with this squad we will be fine. We know what we are looking for in terms of coaching (Clarity), our squad looks pretty healthy and balanced in terms of size and age.
The worry I have is more Borthwick, I don't think he's ready for that step up yet. (Potentially what 2 full seasons in charge so far, nothing yet won)

Also he blanks our media team in terms of injury news etc how is he expecting the National press to react if he withholds that sort of information? Eddie plays the media well but he's a jokester he doesn't seem to care too much.
longlivethecrumbie
Super User
Super User

Post by longlivethecrumbie »

RagingBull wrote: Sun May 22, 2022 9:48 am So according to Fissler on the front page Borthwick is the clear favourite.
Granted given his record of front page news with our coaches that isn't a cert.

Wonder how Borthwick will like this leak if true though given he runs a tight ship.

On the fence personally I feel now with this squad we will be fine. We know what we are looking for in terms of coaching (Clarity), our squad looks pretty healthy and balanced in terms of size and age.
The worry I have is more Borthwick, I don't think he's ready for that step up yet. (Potentially what 2 full seasons in charge so far, nothing yet won)

Also he blanks our media team in terms of injury news etc how is he expecting the National press to react if he withholds that sort of information? Eddie plays the media well but he's a jokester he doesn't seem to care too much.
Personally, I don't see Borthwick taking the job. He's clearly got a mandate inside his own head about where he sees the finishing line for his time at Tigers. I think he'll be looking at more sustained success over a period of time. Just MHO of course.
anz3001
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by anz3001 »

I don’t get the Borthwick England talk at all.

He’s come to us and is doing a great job of rebuilding, long may it continue, but we aren’t exactly clinical and tearing it up. Oh, and we’ve won nowt [yet].
He’s no fan of the media, clearly, who basically do all they can to run any England head coach in to the ground.
Too early for me.
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Post by RagingBull »

Yeh that's sort of my feeling
Say we lose
V Saracens and Bristol both honestly lucky wins looking back in hindsight we would be second now I think maybe just secured home semi v Quins.
Lose v Connacht away = finishing 4th in the pool instead of top.

We have been excellent this year but the difference between us and the next step up is still massive and I feel like we are still 2 years out from that next step up.

I'm not too worried Leinster had a similar thing when Cheika left.