Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

aslongaswebeatsaints
Silver Member
Silver Member

Re: EPCR Semi finals

Post by aslongaswebeatsaints »

Bluemagoo wrote: Sat May 14, 2022 7:38 pm
aslongaswebeatsaints wrote: Sat May 14, 2022 6:10 pm
Darc Tiger wrote: Sat May 14, 2022 4:53 pm I feel slightly better about last week now. This is the best team in Europe.
Completely agree.

But what is utterly delightful is we are still growing under SB while Leinster are the finished article and those young Tigers will not be afraid of Leinster if we meet again. It wasn't that long ago that one turnover at Newcastle separated us from the Championship.

And I still think our second half against Leinster showed that Leinster are still vulnerable to a team with a powerful pack, which is what makes a final against Racing 92 or La Rochelle so exciting.
I'm not sure your pack is as powerful as Toulouse. We've do have some issues at scrum time; but on a 'fast track' Leinster will run any big pack off the park. No issues at breakdown or lineout, mauls and maul defence could be better. Leinster have another 10-15% improvement on todays performance; Sexton would say they are never the finished article and continually strive to improve. Quietly, effectively, with no fuss, no drama, and a low profile Stuart Lancaster has a huge part to play in all of this. Leinster are so lucky to have him and Leo in tandem after the MOC era. SB has definitely recaptured some of the old Tiger snarl; really hope you can win the Premiership.

Best of luck. Leinster and their fans are a class act and, in my opinion, the best team we've had at Welford Road for a long long time. The precision, accuracy, and speed that's now fully baked in to your team is simply jaw dropping.
Big Dai
Super User
Super User

Post by Big Dai »

LE18 wrote: Sat May 14, 2022 5:34 pm
westwinds31 wrote: Sat May 14, 2022 5:17 pm
Rugbygramps wrote: Sat May 14, 2022 4:32 pm Sounds like an obvious thing to say but the key to this quick ball is Gibson Park. He never gets involved in the ruck, that’s everyone else’s job, he is just there to get the ball away, and his cheat lines are sensational
I think more than that is the footwork of the whole back line. It just creates carnage in defence and allows Sexton to wrap around and all of a sudden they have more bodies on whatever side they’re attacking. Hard to think of how you stop it. The only thing would be if you have a rainy day and it’s a set piece game, which clearly is a worry against the big French teams, but that’s a long shot. Assuming Ireland play a similar game, they must be strong candidates for the latter stages of the RWC.
Wow, I didn't get to see whole match but shame to those slagging off ref again and switching off, they missed a great demonstration of "rugby", yes that game they invented when they picked up the ball and ran with it, oh how i wish Tigers would do that, what % did they quote for Sextons passing was it 87% as a neutral I loved what I saw and doubt anyone will beat Leinster this year.
Yup. I turned it off......but I've not got the interest when my team isn't playing and the result looks inevitable.

The Butty Bach was good at the cricket club. Nipper got a 50 and caught couple...plus stumped another. Its summer! Nearly. 😁😁

I'll be taking the juniors tomorrow. Might get back to watch the othe semi.

We've at least got second in the league and I hope we get top spot. After that? I'm more bothered about how Stokes will fair as Captain of the test side. It seems a long season!
Exile Wigstonite living in Wales.
Poet laureate of the "One Eyed Turk".
Bar stool philosopher in the "Wilted Daffodil"
Greenwhiteandred
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Greenwhiteandred »

Big Dai wrote: Sun May 15, 2022 12:03 am
LE18 wrote: Sat May 14, 2022 5:34 pm
westwinds31 wrote: Sat May 14, 2022 5:17 pm

I think more than that is the footwork of the whole back line. It just creates carnage in defence and allows Sexton to wrap around and all of a sudden they have more bodies on whatever side they’re attacking. Hard to think of how you stop it. The only thing would be if you have a rainy day and it’s a set piece game, which clearly is a worry against the big French teams, but that’s a long shot. Assuming Ireland play a similar game, they must be strong candidates for the latter stages of the RWC.
Wow, I didn't get to see whole match but shame to those slagging off ref again and switching off, they missed a great demonstration of "rugby", yes that game they invented when they picked up the ball and ran with it, oh how i wish Tigers would do that, what % did they quote for Sextons passing was it 87% as a neutral I loved what I saw and doubt anyone will beat Leinster this year.
Yup. I turned it off......but I've not got the interest when my team isn't playing and the result looks inevitable.

The Butty Bach was good at the cricket club. Nipper got a 50 and caught couple...plus stumped another. Its summer! Nearly. 😁😁

I'll be taking the juniors tomorrow. Might get back to watch the othe semi.

We've at least got second in the league and I hope we get top spot. After that? I'm more bothered about how Stokes will fair as Captain of the test side. It seems a long season!
Butty Bach …. A fine ale Big Dai. Just lamenting yesterday with a friend that I have to decide between the SF at WR and the 2nd day of the test match at Trent Bridge…. Easy decision but rugby and international cricket shouldnt clash
Old Hob
Super User
Super User

Post by Old Hob »

Greenwhiteandred wrote: Sun May 15, 2022 12:32 am [

Butty Bach …. A fine ale Big Dai. Just lamenting yesterday with a friend that I have to decide between the SF at WR and the 2nd day of the test match at Trent Bridge…. Easy decision but rugby and international cricket shouldnt clash
[/quote]

And with the new proposals of extra internationals this will, I think, become an increasing problem
Omnia dicta fortiora si dicta Latina
Robespierre
Super User
Super User

Post by Robespierre »

Wiaan Liebenberg, who's playing at 6 for La Rochelle this afternoon is Hanro's elder brother.
He played for the Boks U20 in 2012, Blue Bulls between 2011/15 and Montpellier from 2015/18.

Allez, La Rochelle!!
Semper in excretia
Rugbygramps
Super User
Super User

Post by Rugbygramps »

So the best 2 teams in England have both been soundly beaten by Irish and French opposition.
What does this say about the state of English club rugby and can anything be done.
One positive is we are better placed than the Welsh and the Scots
ay2oh
Super User
Super User

Post by ay2oh »

It says everything about the salary cap not necessarily English rugby.
A2O
Rugbygramps
Super User
Super User

Post by Rugbygramps »

ay2oh wrote: Sun May 15, 2022 12:45 pm It says everything about the salary cap not necessarily English rugby.
Excellent point
TigerFeetSteve
Super User
Super User

Post by TigerFeetSteve »

Personally I think Tigers next season will be better placed than this to challenge in Europe. Think the opposite for Sarries, they're losing players like Koch who will be hard to replace...
Used to run around with an 11, 14 or 15 on my back.
ay2oh
Super User
Super User

Post by ay2oh »

TigerFeetSteve wrote: Sun May 15, 2022 2:14 pm Personally I think Tigers next season will be better placed than this to challenge in Europe. Think the opposite for Sarries, they're losing players like Koch who will be hard to replace...
Agree Koch is probably in the worlds best 3 tightheads.
A2O
Rugbygramps
Super User
Super User

Post by Rugbygramps »

TigerFeetSteve wrote: Sun May 15, 2022 2:14 pm Personally I think Tigers next season will be better placed than this to challenge in Europe. Think the opposite for Sarries, they're losing players like Koch who will be hard to replace...
Agreed Saracens just didn’t have their finishers available last night against a team who shut all their big hitters down. The look on Tompkins face when replaced was interesting
Tiglon
Super User
Super User

Post by Tiglon »

ay2oh wrote: Sun May 15, 2022 2:22 pm
Agree, however you could say very similar about us and Genge.
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

We all on Channel 4 guys and girls?
"Rugby isn't a contact sport,ballroom dancing is a contact sport. Rugby is a collision sport" Heyneke Meyer
mol2
Super User
Super User

Post by mol2 »

ay2oh wrote: Sun May 15, 2022 2:22 pm
I think we should not underestimate the loss of Genge.

At present we have a scrum that can deal with any scrum, but without him, I am not so sure.
Old Hob
Super User
Super User

Post by Old Hob »

I thought that against Leinster we weren't as dominant as I'd hoped we'd be. I hope we have more grunt next season.
Omnia dicta fortiora si dicta Latina