Rugby World Championship

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

Old Hob
Super User
Super User

Rugby World Championship

Post by Old Hob »

The leading unions are meeting in Dublin today and World Rugby wants them to commit to a new competition by the end of the week. The comp would be held in even years to avoid clashing with the world cup or Lions tour and no other competition (eg 6N) would be affected. The 12 top tier nations would play and there would be a final in November with 2 promotion/relegation playoffs - one for the northern hemisphere one for the southern. The "emerging" 2nd tier nations would play in the "Challenger" Division with the prospect of promotion in the play-offs.
Omnia dicta fortiora si dicta Latina
Old Hob
Super User
Super User

Re: Rugby World Championship

Post by Old Hob »

This would mean that for 6 months every year there would be internationals. The club games/ leagues/ Europe whatever would be squeezed into the rest. The Rugby World Championship is being pushed very hard.
Omnia dicta fortiora si dicta Latina
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

Not interested! Now if you’re talking a world club championship then you get my attention
"Rugby isn't a contact sport,ballroom dancing is a contact sport. Rugby is a collision sport" Heyneke Meyer
MrG2

Post by MrG2 »

Scott1 wrote: Tue May 10, 2022 11:55 am Not interested! Now if you’re talking a world club championship then you get my attention
I agree if we're not careful the international players will just go from one tournament to another bit like the cricketers
trendylfj
Super User
Super User

Post by trendylfj »

Scott1 wrote: Tue May 10, 2022 11:55 am Not interested! Now if you’re talking a world club championship then you get my attention
+1
Hehehehehehehehe
Cagey Tiger
Super User
Super User

Post by Cagey Tiger »

Old Hob wrote: Tue May 10, 2022 11:54 am This would mean that for 6 months every year there would be internationals. The club games/ leagues/ Europe whatever would be squeezed into the rest. The Rugby World Championship is being pushed very hard.
The impression that I got was that the matches would be instead of the AIs and the summer tours. There would be 3 'extra' games - a final and 2 promotion/relegation playoffs.