Decisions Decisions

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

TheCat

Decisions Decisions

Post by TheCat »

Hi all
First post so please be gentle !
Hope both the on field and off field decision making is better for the next big game I.e Premiership s/f. On field need to learn lessons from the Leinster game, take points when they are available, Tigers left at least 9 points on the field Saturday when not taking a kick decision. Off field pricing structure needs to be attractive enough to get bums on stadium seats not sofas in front of the telly. Appreciate their is a business to run but two seats costing around £100 as was on Saturday is a bit much. Need as close to full house as possible for semi final
Regards
Cat
ay2oh
Super User
Super User

Re: Decisions Decisions

Post by ay2oh »

Sorry to disagree but we have scored a hatful of tries this season by kicking to the corner so no problem there. Leinster were a step up from any other team we have played to date and disrupted our line out and maul. Regarding price of tickets Tigers have lost a shedload of money in the last two years so need to maximise profit.
A2O
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

ay2oh wrote: Sun May 08, 2022 2:56 pm Sorry to disagree but we have scored a hatful of tries this season by kicking to the corner so no problem there. Leinster were a step up from any other team we have played to date and disrupted our line out and maul. Regarding price of tickets Tigers have lost a shedload of money in the last two years so need to maximise profit.
You didn't disagree did you really? 😂
"Rugby isn't a contact sport,ballroom dancing is a contact sport. Rugby is a collision sport" Heyneke Meyer
chris111
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by chris111 »

ay2oh wrote: Sun May 08, 2022 2:56 pm Sorry to disagree but we have scored a hatful of tries this season by kicking to the corner so no problem there. Leinster were a step up from any other team we have played to date and disrupted our line out and maul. Regarding price of tickets Tigers have lost a shedload of money in the last two years so need to maximise profit.
I guess Cat’s point was that it seemed that decisions were being made based on what has been working all season rather than what was in front of them on the night. It was clear by the hour mark that Leinster were defending the maul pretty effectively, so taking easy 3s when they were on offer might have been a good option.
OakhamTiger32
Super User
Super User

Post by OakhamTiger32 »

Hindsight is a wonderful thing.. Exeter perfected the art of turning 3 into 5 or 7.. if you go for the corner and score it’s a great decision, you fluff your lines and people say we should have taken the 3.. we have been outstanding with our driving maul this season so a sensible call for me..
Oakham lad born and bred, Tigers season ticket holder who is enjoying steady progression back towards the good old days!
OakhamTiger32
Super User
Super User

Post by OakhamTiger32 »

chris111 wrote: Sun May 08, 2022 4:49 pm
I guess Cat’s point was that it seemed that decisions were being made based on what has been working all season rather than what was in front of them on the night. It was clear by the hour mark that Leinster were defending the maul pretty effectively, so taking easy 3s when they were on offer might have been a good option.
I disagree. Their maul defense was non existent. They competed at the lineout and capitalised on a few mistakes but every time we got a maul going it bore fruit.. it just didn’t happen often enough sadly
Oakham lad born and bred, Tigers season ticket holder who is enjoying steady progression back towards the good old days!
mightymouse
Super User
Super User

Post by mightymouse »

2 bum throws by Montoya, too low for Chessum saw 2 great attack drives thwarted. Countless dropped balls in attacking positions blew chances. At least 4 if not more scrum penalties not given would have created more 22 positions piling on pressure.
I therefore can’t blame the 3 point decisions, I blame in game errors and refereeing incompetence.
Leinster came with an intensity in the first half we were not used too and by the time we realised we could compete in the second half it was too late.
Re tickets:
I think that there is a price elasticity issue that needs to be resolved… the answer is not a simple one .. if you price at 20% less would you get 20%!more sales and fill the ground ? Or would it take 30% less too fill the ground and rely on 5000 extra people in the ground buy more pints and pies to make up the shortfall .. one assumes they have sales managers to crunch the spreadsheets and come up with an answer to prior to the semi final.
The other thing is they need to persuade whoever needs persuading that 5.30 kick offs are no good , neither are Friday nights or Sundays .. Rugby supporter and old fashioned and creatures of habit …. 3pm on a Saturday.. PLEASE 🙏!!!
Rugbygramps
Super User
Super User

Post by Rugbygramps »

All 4 quarters kicking off on a Saturday at 3 isn’t ever going to happen TV and let’s face it they put a lot of money into the game will never allow it
Tigerbeat

Post by Tigerbeat »

Without the TV coverage teams would struggle without the money they provide.
SUPPORT THE MATT HAMPSON TRUST
www.matthampson.co.uk
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

To parrot SCW ,scoreboard pressure. If its not working take the 3. On the opposite scale I always remember us taking the 3 when we were destroying Montpelliers maul and they were on a yellow warning. That lost us that final. Small margins but both wrong sadly
"Rugby isn't a contact sport,ballroom dancing is a contact sport. Rugby is a collision sport" Heyneke Meyer
LE18
Super User
Super User

Post by LE18 »

chris111 wrote: Sun May 08, 2022 4:49 pm
I think Gengie took those decisions on what he hoped we could do, he wanted to muller them in the maul, a bit too ambitious which he should have acknowledged after the first failed attempt, instead of applying the golden rule, take the points on offer and keep scoreboard ticking.
Scuttle
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Scuttle »

Hopefully we will see a bigger crowd for the Prem SF. I can only speak for myself, and for me the Prem is more important than Europe by a country mile. So, if I had to make a choice, and for some it will be a choice, I would always prioritise the Prem SF over the HC QF. Maybe that is what others have done.
As Good As It Gets
mol2
Super User
Super User

Post by mol2 »

The kicking to the corner wasn't the problem.
Montoya may be a brilliant hooker but occasionally has a wobbly day in the line out. Unfortunately that was Saturday.

We made too many silly errors and never got into a game against a very strong side.

Was the ticket pricing wrong? Possibly but I suspect that many were not happy with the kick off time, its not being on the season ticket and frustration that the tournament is not a level playing field in the current circumstances. (Salary cap limitations and Leinster being effectively the training squad for most of the Ireland team)
sapajo
Super User
Super User

Post by sapajo »

Scuttle wrote: Sun May 08, 2022 8:42 pm Hopefully we will see a bigger crowd for the Prem SF. I can only speak for myself, and for me the Prem is more important than Europe by a country mile. So, if I had to make a choice, and for some it will be a choice, I would always prioritise the Prem SF over the HC QF. Maybe that is what others have done.
Agreed :smt023
Without hope we are nothing, keep the faith, a Tiger for eternity
ay2oh
Super User
Super User

Post by ay2oh »

Whatever happens from herein on we have had a brilliant season and with the number of young players with lots of potential growth in them, we should be regular top four contenders for the foreseeable future.
Would be disappointed if we ended with no silverware but compared to where we were it is a staggering transformation.
A2O