Decisions Decisions

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

johnthegriff
Super User
Super User

Re: Decisions Decisions

Post by johnthegriff »

Personally I think that if the penalty is in front of the posts take 3 points but distance and angle affects the chances of success and there comes a point when lineouts or scrums become a better option. There is no point saying we left nine points out there because we didn't take kicks at goal because if we had kicked the first one the game would have been different from the restart and we may not have had the other penalties awarded.
Pricing.our prices were pretty normal for a top level rugby match. People have their own priorities and in these times there are many things that are more important than sporting events, going to the theatre, concerts etc, all of which are not cheap. The timing of the match was inconvenient but television pay for a games at certain times and someone has to play in that slot. I too heard people say the match ought to be on the season ticket but find it incredible that people think like that, when the ticket is purchased you are told exactly what is covered and it cannot include matches that are unlikely to happen such as home quarter and semi-finals, if they were included the club would be landed with a big administrative job in refunding fans when we failed to qualify for such matches.
Had the prices been £10 cheaper would we have gained an extra 6000 fans producing about £200,000 or would we have reduced income overall? Crystal ball anyone?
GETHIN EXILE

Post by GETHIN EXILE »

The tickets were priced as a category 'A' the same as the home game against Saints so I cant see what the problem is.
As for the lineout loses the one in front of the Matioli woods stand should have been a penalty to tigers because the jumper came through the line in the process of stealing the ball. I do not understand how after Leinster had been given a clear warning for multiple offences including collapsing both scrum and maul they did not have a player yellow carded at the next penalty award
Tiglon
Super User
Super User

Post by Tiglon »

GETHIN EXILE wrote: Mon May 09, 2022 2:02 pm The tickets were priced as a category 'A' the same as the home game against Saints so I cant see what the problem is.
As for the lineout loses the one in front of the Matioli woods stand should have been a penalty to tigers because the jumper came through the line in the process of stealing the ball. I do not understand how after Leinster had been given a clear warning for multiple offences including collapsing both scrum and maul they did not have a player yellow carded at the next penalty award
Completely agree re the tickets, the only other opportunity you'd have to watch most of those players against each other would be at Twickenham, for which you'd pay the best part of £100 per ticket, if you were lucky.

I was in the terrace and the £35 I paid was a bargain. I can't imagine that there are thousands of people who really wanted to go but couldn't possibly afford more than £29.
kk20gb30
Super User
Super User

Post by kk20gb30 »

Hindsight is always twenty twenty, and it is always easy to be wise after the event.An approach that has brought reward should not initially be changed without reason.
Ticket cost is a thorny issue, The Club has to survive as do it's supporters.A case of value Vs affordability ?
Rather than ' you pay your money, you make your choice' this was ' you make you're choice to pay your money '.
This latter alternative will become more and more prevalent I believe as time progresses with wallets becoming thinner and purses tighter.
Seemingly heading rapidly toward senility .....Not long or far to go now , in fact, getting worse daily.....
glenn

Post by glenn »

Sell more tickets at a lower price or sell less at a higher price and make more money.....
Rugbygramps
Super User
Super User

Post by Rugbygramps »

glenn wrote: Tue May 10, 2022 7:03 am Sell more tickets at a lower price or sell less at a higher price and make more money.....
100% and whether we fans like it or not we are a business first and a rugby club second.
Wayne Richardson Fan Club
Super User
Super User

Post by Wayne Richardson Fan Club »

Rugbygramps wrote: Tue May 10, 2022 8:23 am
glenn wrote: Tue May 10, 2022 7:03 am Sell more tickets at a lower price or sell less at a higher price and make more money.....
100% and whether we fans like it or not we are a business first and a rugby club second.
You can of course sell more tickets at a lower price & make more money.
To win is not as important as playing with style!
Fish8ter

Post by Fish8ter »

I think going for the corner was the right option and so far this year it has worked pretty well. While I agree the couple of bum throws, not hitting Chessum at full extension was frustrating.

I believe that Ford's kicking for the corner(s) was poor all day and by not getting it close to the 5m on multiple occasions, meant Ryan was able to take a chance and compete. Would Leinster have risked having 3 men involved in lifting, if they then were not set for the driving maul, when only 5m out, I doubt it.
mol2
Super User
Super User

Post by mol2 »

6000 or so seats went unsold.

At say £30 each that is £240k in lost revenue.

If the tickets had been on average £8 less then the match would have likely sold out and the shop, food and drink sales would have been perhaps 25% greater too.
Even £10 less might well have still seen the club better off.

Henry Ford made more money selling a lot of cheaper cars than Ferrari did selling a fewer expensive cars.

The fact that there are few sell outs at Welford Road in recent years suggest that Tigers pricing structure needs review, especially given the economic and inflationary pressures affecting many. No doubt still learning now we are playing at a better standard and how things are after the lockdowns.
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

Wayne Richardson Fan Club wrote: Tue May 10, 2022 8:58 am
Of course you can,make more at the bar and possibly in merchandise too.
"Rugby isn't a contact sport,ballroom dancing is a contact sport. Rugby is a collision sport" Heyneke Meyer
ay2oh
Super User
Super User

Post by ay2oh »

mol2 wrote: Tue May 10, 2022 9:38 am 6000 or so seats went unsold.

At say £30 each that is £240k in lost revenue.

If the tickets had been on average £8 less then the match would have likely sold out and the shop, food and drink sales would have been perhaps 25% greater too.
Even £10 less might well have still seen the club better off.

Henry Ford made more money selling a lot of cheaper cars than Ferrari did selling a fewer expensive cars.

The fact that there are few sell outs at Welford Road in recent years suggest that Tigers pricing structure needs review, especially given the economic and inflationary pressures affecting many. No doubt still learning now we are playing at a better standard and how things are after the lockdowns.
In my opinion reducing the prices by say £10 per ticket would have had a minimal effect on the attendance. There might have been 500-1000 more but the main reason for the smaller attendance was the 5.30pm kick off on a Saturday . Numerous people would have already organised various activities for the Saturday evening before the kick off time was known.
I don’t think that the ticket prices were unreasonable for a European quarter final and importantly it raised nearly £1M for the club less expenses.
A2O
Tigerbeat

Post by Tigerbeat »

Increased costs are not just affecting families, but also businesses and they cannot afford to carry all the costs especially when big losses have been made in the last two years. For the rugby club to survive they need to generate income and prices are probably based on an average crowd of 19-20K and any more bought is good for the club. It is a difficult area but Tigers are a business, not a charity. Some people are not going to be able to afford to watch games and have difficult decisions to make around spending priorities in the current climate.
SUPPORT THE MATT HAMPSON TRUST
www.matthampson.co.uk
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

Tigerbeat wrote: Tue May 10, 2022 9:54 am Increased costs are not just affecting families, but also businesses and they cannot afford to carry all the costs especially when big losses have been made in the last two years. For the rugby club to survive they need to generate income and prices are probably based on an average crowd of 19-20K and any more bought is good for the club. It is a difficult area but Tigers are a business, not a charity. Some people are not going to be able to afford to watch games and have difficult decisions to make around spending priorities in the current climate.
Not getting the jist TB,cheaper ticket prices doesn’t automatically lower revenue at all. The costs for Tigers running a match is the same whether there’s 19k in the ground or 24k. So how can they lose revenue if there’s 5K more in the ground? We are not talking about discounted tickets from day one,just deals put on during the last week or two when they can see there isn’t going to be a sellout,the club won’t be losing revenue then whatsoever. It’s pretty basic stuff that happens at a lot of events
"Rugby isn't a contact sport,ballroom dancing is a contact sport. Rugby is a collision sport" Heyneke Meyer
TigerFeetSteve
Super User
Super User

Post by TigerFeetSteve »

Scott1 wrote: Tue May 10, 2022 10:01 am
Tigerbeat wrote: Tue May 10, 2022 9:54 am Increased costs are not just affecting families, but also businesses and they cannot afford to carry all the costs especially when big losses have been made in the last two years. For the rugby club to survive they need to generate income and prices are probably based on an average crowd of 19-20K and any more bought is good for the club. It is a difficult area but Tigers are a business, not a charity. Some people are not going to be able to afford to watch games and have difficult decisions to make around spending priorities in the current climate.
Not getting the jist TB,cheaper ticket prices doesn’t automatically lower revenue at all. The costs for Tigers running a match is the same whether there’s 19k in the ground or 24k. So how can they lose revenue if there’s 5K more in the ground? We are not talking about discounted tickets from day one,just deals put on during the last week or two when they can see there isn’t going to be a sellout,the club won’t be losing revenue then whatsoever. It’s pretty basic stuff that happens at a lot of events
Issue is is the pricing structure of all games would have to change.

Tigers classes this as a grade A fixture (correctly) and pricing went from that. Reduce the cost of this and suddenly people are like why is this top quality game at this price, I paid more for a regular fixture etc etc, so would they then just lower the price of all grade A games, but then you have to account for the changes to those games attendances. It's easy to say lets make this one cheap to get it full, if it destroys the clubs pricing structure that's not good.
Used to run around with an 11, 14 or 15 on my back.
Rugbygramps
Super User
Super User

Post by Rugbygramps »

Wayne Richardson Fan Club wrote: Tue May 10, 2022 8:58 am
And if those tickets weren’t sold even at a lower price, the club runs the risk of losing more money.
IMO the Ford v Ferrari is not a great analogy as Ford knew exactly how much he would make per car, if the demand was there he made more cars if it wasn’t he didn’t