Boots?

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

Old Hob
Super User
Super User

Boots?

Post by Old Hob »

I don't know if it's just me, but in the games I've watched this season there seemed to be more players slipping over whether on plastic or on a real pitch (eg Hanro yesterday). First, is this right, or am I imagining it? And second, if it is right, what's causing it? The modern boot or something else?
Omnia dicta fortiora si dicta Latina
longlivethecrumbie
Super User
Super User

Re: Boots?

Post by longlivethecrumbie »

Lots of the modern boots don't have studs as we'd remember them and are more blades than studs. That could well be having some impact. Also,.the pitches these days tend to be more lush all year round than they did in yesteryear. That too could also be having an impact.
johnthegriff
Super User
Super User

Post by johnthegriff »

I have a grand daughter playing soccer at a high level and her boots are so light it must be like playing in socks, my old aluminium studs alone weighed twice as much as her boots, in fact I think my socks were heavier even after the mud was removed.
Old Hob
Super User
Super User

Post by Old Hob »

johnthegriff wrote: Mon May 09, 2022 12:16 pm I have a grand daughter playing soccer at a high level and her boots are so light it must be like playing in socks, my old aluminium studs alone weighed twice as much as her boots, in fact I think my socks were heavier even after the mud was removed.
Aluminium ones were very quickly made illegal, weren't they John? I seem to remember a few walks across concrete and they turned into razors. I'm also fairly sure that the horror gash down JPR's cheek was an aluminium stud.
Hot_Charlie
Super User
Super User

Post by Hot_Charlie »

longlivethecrumbie wrote: Sun May 08, 2022 10:14 am Lots of the modern boots don't have studs as we'd remember them and are more blades than studs. That could well be having some impact. Also,.the pitches these days tend to be more lush all year round than they did in yesteryear. That too could also be having an impact.
Blades are very much out of fashion now - if fact I believe the "blade" type seen in the early 2000s on adidas boots is illegal. Almost all manufacturers have gone down a more traditional stud shape, be they moulded or screw in.

Interestingly, Hanro wears a hybrid type boot (Mizuno Morelia Neo Mix) which have a mixture of moulded and 6 screw-in studs.
longlivethecrumbie
Super User
Super User

Post by longlivethecrumbie »

Hot_Charlie wrote: Mon May 09, 2022 7:45 pm
longlivethecrumbie wrote: Sun May 08, 2022 10:14 am Lots of the modern boots don't have studs as we'd remember them and are more blades than studs. That could well be having some impact. Also,.the pitches these days tend to be more lush all year round than they did in yesteryear. That too could also be having an impact.
Blades are very much out of fashion now - if fact I believe the "blade" type seen in the early 2000s on adidas boots is illegal. Almost all manufacturers have gone down a more traditional stud shape, be they moulded or screw in.

Interestingly, Hanro wears a hybrid type boot (Mizuno Morelia Neo Mix) which have a mixture of moulded and 6 screw-in studs.
You're right on the blades - probably a poor description on my part as the studs these days don't seem to be the 'thimble' shape that we had 'when I were a lad' but they are more angular, if that makes sense?
Old Hob
Super User
Super User

Post by Old Hob »

My original question still stands. Does anyone else think players fall over/ slip more often now?
johnthegriff
Super User
Super User

Post by johnthegriff »

I think they do, partially because of the grip from the boots but mostly because of either plastic pitches or lush green well watered grass ones at the top level. I think it also affects the setting of scrums as props slide on the surface.
I thing you are correct aluminium studs did become illegal, I know mine sharpened as I walked from the reading rooms in Birstall to the School Lane pitch to play for Moat Old Boys or Birstall as we became.
Rugbygramps
Super User
Super User

Post by Rugbygramps »

Old Hob wrote: Mon May 09, 2022 9:24 pm My original question still stands. Does anyone else think players fall over/ slip more often now?
Probably yes they do, the boots are a big factor as others have mentioned even the ones forwards wear now are like carpet slippers, not the old days where they went round your ankles. I also think that a shorter playing surface and the speed the game is played at have an effect
Pellsey
Super User
Super User

Post by Pellsey »

Rugbygramps wrote: Tue May 10, 2022 10:43 am
Old Hob wrote: Mon May 09, 2022 9:24 pm My original question still stands. Does anyone else think players fall over/ slip more often now?
Probably yes they do, the boots are a big factor as others have mentioned even the ones forwards wear now are like carpet slippers, not the old days where they went round your ankles. I also think that a shorter playing surface and the speed the game is played at have an effect
Absolutely regarding the speed of the game. We used to have longer grass, and longer studs for slippy conditions and shorter for fast conditions, or at least longer for fatties and shorter for the fairies.
Roadsweeper
Top Cat
Top Cat

Post by Roadsweeper »

I always find it interesting to read the other side's press.

In the Irish Times article Leo Cullen claims the pitch was heavily watered and players were slipping over in the warm up.

https://www.irishtimes.com/sport/rugby/ ... -1.4872744

Don't know as I haven't seen the match or the highlights.
Tigerbeat

Post by Tigerbeat »

Roadsweeper wrote: Tue May 10, 2022 1:25 pm I always find it interesting to read the other side's press.

In the Irish Times article Leo Cullen claims the pitch was heavily watered and players were slipping over in the warm up.

https://www.irishtimes.com/sport/rugby/ ... -1.4872744

Don't know as I haven't seen the match or the highlights.
The pitch was well watered before the fans entered the stadium.
SUPPORT THE MATT HAMPSON TRUST
www.matthampson.co.uk
Hot_Charlie
Super User
Super User

Post by Hot_Charlie »

longlivethecrumbie wrote: Mon May 09, 2022 8:53 pm
Hot_Charlie wrote: Mon May 09, 2022 7:45 pm

You're right on the blades - probably a poor description on my part as the studs these days don't seem to be the 'thimble' shape that we had 'when I were a lad' but they are more angular, if that makes sense?
Indeed there are. There's quite a cottage industry in boot sole conversions too; custom stud plates created mainly using the "Firm Ground" moulded boots and inserting metal studs, both in football and rugby.
wormus
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by wormus »

Old Hob wrote: Mon May 09, 2022 4:52 pm
johnthegriff wrote: Mon May 09, 2022 12:16 pm I have a grand daughter playing soccer at a high level and her boots are so light it must be like playing in socks, my old aluminium studs alone weighed twice as much as her boots, in fact I think my socks were heavier even after the mud was removed.
Aluminium ones were very quickly made illegal, weren't they John? I seem to remember a few walks across concrete and they turned into razors. I'm also fairly sure that the horror gash down JPR's cheek was an aluminium stud.
I certainly played with long aluminium studs and some steel ones but my first recollection of boot studs were the 6 layers of half inch roundals of leather with 4 nails through and asking my father to hammer them into the soles. Playing with real leather Gilbert balls sewn by John Batchelor of Gilberts Rugby.
I recall the introduction of stud gauges by the Referees to eliminate sharp studs, and then you ran across the road to the pitches! Happy days, thanks John.
Rugbygramps
Super User
Super User

Post by Rugbygramps »

As someone has mentioned I too think that the blade type of football boot was banned from the game.
Does anyone else remember the Adidas Cap boot from around the early 80s. 7 studs per boot with one right at the end of the toe. They weren’t around for long