Tigers v Newcastle (A) 21st May 2022 KO 15:00

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

Crofty
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: Tigers v Newcastle (A) 21st May 2022 KO 15:00

Post by Crofty »

chris111 wrote: Thu May 12, 2022 2:10 pm I wasn’t suggesting SB is planning on throwing the Wasps game! I was simply pointing out that if we went into the final round with a guaranteed home play off, his overriding priority would be on squad preparation for the week ahead.

I’d like to think we have the strength in depth to beat Wasps without risking burnout/injury to key players….but as a supporter an unbeaten home record would merely be a nice gloss on the season, whereas getting to the playoff final (and even better, winning that final) would be the real achievement. I’d be pretty confident SB and the whole playing and coaching team feel the same.
With the number of fallow weeks we now have I think burnout is less of a concern. Injuries can happen any time, so long as Aled and his team say a player isn't being risked by their inclusion (rushed return from injury etc.) then it makes no sense to me not to play them otherwise why have them on the books?
No, not that one!

Remember, whatever you do to the smallest of the backs you do to his prop, and you can't avoid the rucks and mauls forever...

I know you don't like it when I boo him but how else will he know he's wrong?

non possumus capere
Ian Cant
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Ian Cant »

Two massive games now before the semi.
Newcastle is a place we’ve always struggled at but had some narrow wins.
Wasps: if, as I think they will, come with a full strength squad, will be an excellent test and whether it be Saints or Quins then Wasps will provide an excellent game to get combinations right. I personally feel that if Wasps hadn’t had such an extensive injury list they would have been close to top 4!
Go strong in both games and hope to bring some off if all goes well with20 minutes to go.
No more losses! Hopefully no more injuries.
Tiglon
Super User
Super User

Post by Tiglon »

I don't think we'll see a 100% full XV in the next two games, there's always a need to rotate players to keep more than 15 in full match fitness.

It's great saying strongest team every match, but what if one of those is unavailable for the final and his backup hasn't been on the pitch for 6 weeks?
Rugbygramps
Super User
Super User

Post by Rugbygramps »

I would like to see a history of our results up there. My not inconsiderable gut tells me that other than the 2 dreadful seasons we have always done pretty well up racking up some decent scores. My memory does play tricks though.
Scuttle
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Scuttle »

Rugbygramps wrote: Fri May 13, 2022 9:27 pm I would like to see a history of our results up there. My not inconsiderable gut tells me that other than the 2 dreadful seasons we have always done pretty well up racking up some decent scores. My memory does play tricks though.
Even in one of the dreadful seasons we won. My wife and I went up and stood behind the posts where we Guy Thompson (?) got a last minute turnover as Falcons were really pressurising on our line to score for the win. We had been comfortably ahead but did the characteristic (for the time) falling apart in the last 20 mins. Anyway we won and it was great.
As Good As It Gets
Crofty
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Crofty »

Scuttle wrote: Fri May 13, 2022 11:34 pm
Rugbygramps wrote: Fri May 13, 2022 9:27 pm I would like to see a history of our results up there. My not inconsiderable gut tells me that other than the 2 dreadful seasons we have always done pretty well up racking up some decent scores. My memory does play tricks though.
Even in one of the dreadful seasons we won. My wife and I went up and stood behind the posts where we Guy Thompson (?) got a last minute turnover as Falcons were really pressurising on our line to score for the win. We had been comfortably ahead but did the characteristic (for the time) falling apart in the last 20 mins. Anyway we won and it was great.
That was the turnover that relegated them and saved us as I recall.
No, not that one!

Remember, whatever you do to the smallest of the backs you do to his prop, and you can't avoid the rucks and mauls forever...

non possumus capere
Scuttle
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Scuttle »

Crofty wrote: Sat May 14, 2022 7:35 am
Scuttle wrote: Fri May 13, 2022 11:34 pm
That was the turnover that relegated them and saved us as I recall.
Indeed it was. It was a nice atmosphere in the bar afterwards. More like a pub. Much smaller than WR of course.
As Good As It Gets
sk 88
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by sk 88 »

From 2001 to 2009 we had a dreadful record there, P8 W1 D1 L6.

Since then P9 W8 L1 (excluding the Prem Cup) with an average winning margin of 10 points
Goooooodeeeeeyyyyy!
Rugbygramps
Super User
Super User

Post by Rugbygramps »

sk 88 wrote: Sat May 14, 2022 11:56 am

Since then P9 W8 L1 (excluding the Prem Cup) with an average winning margin of 10 points
Thanks for that my gut was half right then, I did think in more recent history we had done better up there
Ian Cant
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Ian Cant »

As I said I’ve seen us win there a lot but the games are never as straight forward as they should be.
Just gone on to the Newcastle website to get tickets; it’s heading for a sell out.
Hope lots of Tigers’ fans going.
Crofty
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Crofty »

sk 88 wrote: Sat May 14, 2022 11:56 am

The difference between having a Johnny Wilkinson to kick us to death and not. He did it one last time with Toulon too...
No, not that one!

non possumus capere
trendylfj
Super User
Super User

Post by trendylfj »

I do not want to face Quins in the semi so full bore for the next game is the right way to go. After that, we will have a better idea of what the table will look like at the end of the season. Sarries play both Saints and Glaws in their last 2 games so some points will be lost somewhere between the 3. Much more confident of beating either of those 2 than I would be against Quins.
Hehehehehehehehe
sam16111986
Super User
Super User

Post by sam16111986 »

trendylfj wrote: Sun May 15, 2022 2:22 pm I do not want to face Quins in the semi so full bore for the next game is the right way to go. After that, we will have a better idea of what the table will look like at the end of the season. Sarries play both Saints and Glaws in their last 2 games so some points will be lost somewhere between the 3. Much more confident of beating either of those 2 than I would be against Quins.
We are four points up on Sarries, we really should be able to see top spot away from here. We can go full bore at home but have some squad rotation away at Newcastle. We have 25/26 players that are within contention/likely to make up the 23 Vs whomever in the semi final. I think we should be aiming to get all of them a start over the next two games with the strongest selection at home.
Systonite
Top Cat
Top Cat

Post by Systonite »

Difficult to say who we might prefer to play in the semis. Probably best to try and avoid Quins, but Gloucester picking up recently. Not too sure if topping the league matters that much. If we win the final we will long have forgotten whether we cared about finishing first or second in the league. Agree with Sam. Bit of rotation at Newcastle, stronger at home to Wasps.
loretta
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by loretta »

If we don’t get Quins in the semi, Sarries probably will, and I’d say that’ll be the hardest test for Sarries to pass. Suits me. If they come back from the championship and win at the final, the media love-in will be intolerable!!
In my defence, I was left unsupervised….