OakhamTiger32
Super User
Super User

Re: Tigers v Newcastle (A) 21st May 2022 KO 15:00

Post by OakhamTiger32 »

Rugbygramps wrote: Wed May 11, 2022 8:44 am
Chobbsy wrote: Wed May 11, 2022 8:40 am
Rugbygramps wrote: Wed May 11, 2022 8:38 am

I take your point but imo it’s unlikely that SB will go outside his core group of 30 or so for all remaining fixtures. Hopefully Kelly and MVS are fit and Martin needs more game time. I would like to see Jansen given more time as well as if Wiese were to go lame he is very much like for like.

Steward
Ashton
Scott
Kelly
Potter
Burns
JVP
Genge
Dolly
Heyes
Chessum
Snyman
Martin
MVS
Jansen
Bench- Montoya, Whitcombe, Cole, Wells, Wiese, Youngs, Ford, Porter
I haven't seen Jansen play yet is he rated?
Potential for me and a few others to be a real bolter. Considering he was on a building site in Wellington 3 months ago. He has put on 3 kg of muscle since arriving. Similar no nonsense straightforward player to Wiese, started against Quins away I believe and looked good for 50 minutes. Just hope a longer term contract is being considered
Agreed.. from the little I have seen I’ve been impressed
Oakham lad born and bred, Tigers season ticket holder who is enjoying steady progression back towards the good old days!
TigerCam
Super User
Super User

Post by TigerCam »

Need to put out the strongest team possible at every game. Start cranking up the tempo with a settled 23 aiming to peak at Twickers.
Whoever said "one person cannot change the world' never ate undercooked bat
Hot_Charlie
Super User
Super User

Post by Hot_Charlie »

Rugbygramps wrote: Wed May 11, 2022 8:38 am
Hot_Charlie wrote: Tue May 10, 2022 11:28 pm Given the week off this weekend, and the week off the weekend following this fixture, I think it'll be a fairly strong team to secure top spot. However, I could see a scenario where Ilione and Edwards are given Premiership debuts from the bench. That's a risk worth taking perhaps.
I take your point but imo it’s unlikely that SB will go outside his core group of 30 or so for all remaining fixtures. Hopefully Kelly and MVS are fit and Martin needs more game time. I would like to see Jansen given more time as well as if Wiese were to go lame he is very much like for like.

I think you are probably right. However IF he did, I think it would be only those two.
chris111
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by chris111 »

sam16111986 wrote: Sat May 07, 2022 8:29 pm
OakhamTiger32 wrote: Sat May 07, 2022 8:23 pm I think we need to target the win here and secure top spot.. would rather get that sorted and rest players the following week against Wasps knowing we have secured top spot.
We don't rest players at home. Want the undefeated league season at home. Ideally Leinster will be the only blot on our home record this season.
I doubt SB cares a jot about going unbeaten at home - he will be entirely focused on his squad hitting the playoffs in optimum condition. There’s no trophy for beating Wasps!
Rugbygramps
Super User
Super User

Post by Rugbygramps »

chris111 wrote: Wed May 11, 2022 8:59 pm
OakhamTiger32 wrote: Sat May 07, 2022 8:23 pm I think we need to target the win here and secure top spot.. would rather get that sorted and rest players the following week against Wasps knowing we have secured top spot.
We don't rest players at home. Want the undefeated league season at home. Ideally Leinster will be the only blot on our home record this season.
I doubt SB cares a jot about going unbeaten at home - he will be entirely focused on his squad hitting the playoffs in optimum condition. There’s no trophy for beating Wasps!
You’re absolutely right the one thing I would add is that SB places a great deal of importance on the fans and their support and he realises it is a big thing for the fans to remain unbeaten in the league at home. Also the following week is the semi final so we need to be up and running for that.
Crofty
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Crofty »

Rugbygramps wrote: Wed May 11, 2022 9:06 pm

You’re absolutely right the one thing I would add is that SB places a great deal of importance on the fans and their support and he realises it is a big thing for the fans to remain unbeaten in the league at home. Also the following week is the semi final so we need to be up and running for that.
Plus, Wasps are the only team in a position to do the double on us this season, would be a shame to let that happen...
No, not that one!

Remember, whatever you do to the smallest of the backs you do to his prop, and you can't avoid the rucks and mauls forever...

I know you don't like it when I boo him but how else will he know he's wrong?

non possumus capere
mightymouse
Super User
Super User

Post by mightymouse »

My team would be:

Steward
Ashton
Moroni
Scott
Nadolo
Burns
JVP
Whitcome
Dolly
Heyes
Chessum
Martin
Leibenberg
Jansen
Reffell

Reps:
Genge
Montoya
Cole
Wells
MVS
Youngs
Ford
Murimurivalu

I think that starting team is more the capable of at least holding Newcastle away .. and that bench should carry it home nicely
Weisse gets a well deserved rest .. Could consider Porter on the bench but Muri can play fullback which gives a bit more flexibility. If Kelly is fit then obviously he could be considered but hamstrings are tricky devils and I’d err on the side of caution on that one
TigerXV

Post by TigerXV »

mightymouse wrote: Thu May 12, 2022 10:23 am My team would be:

Steward
Ashton
Moroni
Scott
Nadolo
Burns
JVP
Whitcome
Dolly
Heyes
Chessum
Martin
Leibenberg
Jansen
Reffell

Reps:
Genge
Montoya
Cole
Wells
MVS
Youngs
Ford
Murimurivalu

I think that starting team is more the capable of at least holding Newcastle away .. and that bench should carry it home nicely
Weisse gets a well deserved rest .. Could consider Porter on the bench but Muri can play fullback which gives a bit more flexibility. If Kelly is fit then obviously he could be considered but hamstrings are tricky devils and I’d err on the side of caution on that one
I like that team and even if we don't see it v Newcastle I could see that pack appearing next season. Bench needs a switch as its missing a Tight head so I imagine Cole would replace Wells if MVS fit
TigerXV

Post by TigerXV »

TigerXV wrote: Thu May 12, 2022 10:30 am
mightymouse wrote: Thu May 12, 2022 10:23 am My team would be:

Steward
Ashton
Moroni
Scott
Nadolo
Burns
JVP
Whitcome
Dolly
Heyes
Chessum
Martin
Leibenberg
Jansen
Reffell

Reps:
Genge
Montoya
Cole
Wells
MVS
Youngs
Ford
Murimurivalu

I like that team and even if we don't see it v Newcastle I could see that pack appearing next season.
mightymouse
Super User
Super User

Post by mightymouse »

Sorry I realised I’d missed Cole and added him on edit before I thought anyone would notice but you were too quick off the mark 😀
Pellsey
Super User
Super User

Post by Pellsey »

As has been mentioned before, we have lost 3 out of the last 4 in all competitions losing to Hairyqueens, LI, and Leinster, and IMHO we just didn't look good against Leinster rather than them being superb. We need to get back into a winning mentality again so that we go into both the pests' game and the playoffs on the right foot. I think this is more important than "winning at home". We basically should be aiming to win every game for the rest of the season now. Nothing else is acceptable! :smt027 :smt027
Bunchy
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Bunchy »

Suspect full bore for both games - we have a week off now and then play Falcons before another week off - think momentum and match toughness will be key going into the play off semi at MWWR and the extra rest period helps....It will also depend on who is carrying knocks etc - suspect Montoya may be one of those as he limped off v Leinster.

Having said that, I don't think I have successfully predicted his team selection all season - so who knows???
Less is more....
sam16111986
Super User
Super User

Post by sam16111986 »

Borthwick will be looking ahead to next season as well though. He'll know that an undefeated home season on the league starts to create a certain aura around Welford Road again. Plus he's rotated away and gone strong at home all season, he's clearly had in mind wanting to rewards the fans.
Tiglon
Super User
Super User

Post by Tiglon »

sam16111986 wrote: Thu May 12, 2022 1:22 pm

Borthwick will be looking ahead to next season as well though. He'll know that an undefeated home season on the league starts to create a certain aura around Welford Road again. Plus he's rotated away and gone strong at home all season, he's clearly had in mind wanting to rewards the fans.
I believe his first meeting with the players involved a speech about the history and importance of Welford Road - it's a big part of the culture he's building and a great focal point for the squad in terms of pride and identity.
chris111
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by chris111 »

I wasn’t suggesting SB is planning on throwing the Wasps game! I was simply pointing out that if we went into the final round with a guaranteed home play off, his overriding priority would be on squad preparation for the week ahead.

I’d like to think we have the strength in depth to beat Wasps without risking burnout/injury to key players….but as a supporter an unbeaten home record would merely be a nice gloss on the season, whereas getting to the playoff final (and even better, winning that final) would be the real achievement. I’d be pretty confident SB and the whole playing and coaching team feel the same.