Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

OakhamTiger32
Super User
Super User

Re: Tigers v Newcastle (A) 21st May 2022 KO 15:00

Post by OakhamTiger32 »

chris111 wrote: Sat May 21, 2022 3:44 pm
OakhamTiger32 wrote: Sat May 21, 2022 3:42 pm
markharbtiger wrote: Sat May 21, 2022 3:41 pm Don't know exactly who was to blame for that. But injuries seem to happen on these pitches...very unfortunate
I hate these artificial pitches.. too many injuries!
Not a fan of plastic - but don’t see how it was to blame for that injury
Didn't say it was just that the injury rate seems higher on these pitches
Oakham lad born and bred, Tigers season ticket holder who is enjoying steady progression back towards the good old days!
nicmattyg
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by nicmattyg »

We were pretty average for 60 mins today, however a sign of how good a team we are to win away from home by that points margin when struggling to get out of 3rd gear.

Looking likely to be sinners at home for the semi and we’ll need to be much better all round if we want to get to the final, and better still to win the whole thing.

Slow 2nd & 3rd quarters are costing us atm, and we’ve seen what happens when you give away a 20pt lead to the best sides i.e. Leinster, not easy to come back from.
OakhamTiger32
Super User
Super User

Post by OakhamTiger32 »

Mixed bag today. Bottom line is a gritty away win having seen a horrific injury to one of the lads.

Pros:
- Scrum and lineout went very well
- Liebenberg is just immense wherever he plays
- Wiese and Genge with some big carries
- Porter took his tries well and had a very good game
- Scored 3 tries away to a Newcastle side that for the middle 20-30 minutes caused us some problems. At 10-5 it was game on
- Ford's touchline drop kick conversion
- Great to see Henderson back
- Good discipline and low penalty count
- Scott looked very good when he came on (looks bigger than I remember him being too?)

Cons:
- Horrific injury to Dolly. Wish him a speedy recovery although I doubt he will be back anytime soon sadly
- Disjointed performance. Lots of misplaced passes. Halfbacks looked out of sorts early on
- Not sure how many more red zone penalties they needed to give away to see a yellow card from the referee
- Left the TBP out there for me. 2 tries not given (one correctly so and the other no grounding which Newcastle had similar ones go against them so consistent calls from the officials)

For me we should beat Wasps next weekend. Today was disjointed but we weathered the storm during the middle of the match when one Newcastle try would have seen them take the lead!. Some late Tigers pressure made the scoreboard look a little better but this was far from an easy win.

Top of the table on 90 points and 3 clear of Sarries.. COYT.. TBP win next weekend to build the momentum for the home SF :smt038
Oakham lad born and bred, Tigers season ticket holder who is enjoying steady progression back towards the good old days!
nicmattyg
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by nicmattyg »

OakhamTiger32 wrote: Sat May 21, 2022 10:56 pm Mixed bag today. Bottom line is a gritty away win having seen a horrific injury to one of the lads.

Pros:
- Scrum and lineout went very well
- Liebenberg is just immense wherever he plays
- Wiese and Genge with some big carries
- Porter took his tries well and had a very good game
- Scored 3 tries away to a Newcastle side that for the middle 20-30 minutes caused us some problems. At 10-5 it was game on
- Ford's touchline drop kick conversion
- Great to see Henderson back
- Good discipline and low penalty count
- Scott looked very good when he came on (looks bigger than I remember him being too?)

Cons:
- Horrific injury to Dolly. Wish him a speedy recovery although I doubt he will be back anytime soon sadly
- Disjointed performance. Lots of misplaced passes. Halfbacks looked out of sorts early on
- Not sure how many more red zone penalties they needed to give away to see a yellow card from the referee
- Left the TBP out there for me. 2 tries not given (one correctly so and the other no grounding which Newcastle had similar ones go against them so consistent calls from the officials)

For me we should beat Wasps next weekend. Today was disjointed but we weathered the storm during the middle of the match when one Newcastle try would have seen them take the lead!. Some late Tigers pressure made the scoreboard look a little better but this was far from an easy win.

Top of the table on 90 points and 3 clear of Sarries.. COYT.. TBP win next weekend to build the momentum for the home SF :smt038
I’d add to this a positive when JVP came on we looked much better. Is he as effective when he starts games though?
Tiglon
Super User
Super User

Post by Tiglon »

nicmattyg wrote: Sat May 21, 2022 10:59 pm I’d add to this a positive when JVP came on we looked much better. Is he as effective when he starts games though?
For me he just needs to be a bit more consistent. He sometimes looks top class, but a bit too often struggles to have an impact and can be a bit loose.

A great option to add urgency late on, but not yet quite good enough at controlling a game from the start.

He seems to have the right attitude and work ethic though so I'm confident he'll keep learning and improving. Odds on to be a top Prem 9 IMO.
Midlander

Post by Midlander »

Tiglon wrote: Sat May 21, 2022 11:07 pm
nicmattyg wrote: Sat May 21, 2022 10:59 pm I’d add to this a positive when JVP came on we looked much better. Is he as effective when he starts games though?
For me he just needs to be a bit more consistent. He sometimes looks top class, but a bit too often struggles to have an impact and can be a bit loose.

A great option to add urgency late on, but not yet quite good enough at controlling a game from the start.

He seems to have the right attitude and work ethic though so I'm confident he'll keep learning and improving. Odds on to be a top Prem 9 IMO.
Ben and Richard Wigglesworth, both top end number 9's, have contrasting styles and skill sets. If he can learn and pick up the best from both, it goes without saying he'll be a better player than most in the northern hemisphere.
markharbtiger
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by markharbtiger »

Midlander wrote: Sun May 22, 2022 8:33 am
Tiglon wrote: Sat May 21, 2022 11:07 pm

Ben and Richard Wigglesworth, both top end number 9's, have contrasting styles and skill sets. If he can learn and pick up the best from both, it goes without saying he'll be a better player than most in the northern hemisphere.
It's no accident that EJ now wants a look at him.
Bge3095

Post by Bge3095 »

Like many have said before we it was a 40 minute performance today but that being said it was still a good win against a gritty falcons team.
Porters step vs tait was reminiscent of a certain T.Veianu who did exactly the same to him some years back at Kingston park.
sapajo
Super User
Super User

Post by sapajo »

Bge3095 wrote: Sun May 22, 2022 8:53 am Like many have said before we it was a 40 minute performance today but that being said it was still a good win against a gritty falcons team.
Porters step vs tait was reminiscent of a certain T.Veianu who did exactly the same to him some years back at Kingston park.
Incomparable for me as Telusa stepped him in and out and left Tait static.
Without hope we are nothing, keep the faith, a Tiger for eternity
tigerburnie
Super User
Super User

Post by tigerburnie »

JvP needs more game time, I'm hoping he gets that next season as our two top 9's are getting towards the end of their careers, he has the two best people to learn from.
"If you want entertainment, go to the theatre," says Edinburgh head coach Richard Cockerill. "Rugby players play the game to win.15/1/21.
sapajo
Super User
Super User

Post by sapajo »

tigerburnie wrote: Sun May 22, 2022 9:13 am JvP needs more game time, I'm hoping he gets that next season as our two top 9's are getting towards the end of their careers, he has the two best people to learn from.
For me Wiggy is holding us back his passing is so desperately slow and inaccurate allowing the opposition to have more than enough time to set their defensive line.
Without hope we are nothing, keep the faith, a Tiger for eternity
Old Hob
Super User
Super User

Post by Old Hob »

Lots of passes went astray, not just Wiggy's. When Ashton very nearly scored in the first 90 seconds I thought we might be in for watching Newcastle get a lambasting. But it all calmed down, communication seemed poor, there was inaccuracy and, something I'd hoped we'd eliminated, uncertainty. This was all before the horrible injury to Dolly. We had enough collective nous to win and the bench helped mightily. Everyone was trying but it seemed disjointed. Two weeks to get the cohesiveness back.
Omnia dicta fortiora si dicta Latina
Bge3095

Post by Bge3095 »

sapajo wrote: Sun May 22, 2022 9:01 am
Bge3095 wrote: Sun May 22, 2022 8:53 am Like many have said before we it was a 40 minute performance today but that being said it was still a good win against a gritty falcons team.

Incomparable for me as Telusa stepped him in and out and left Tait static.

Hardly a million miles away…..
OakhamTiger32
Super User
Super User

Post by OakhamTiger32 »

Watching the game yesterday just made the point again how wasted a talent like Radwan is at Newcastle. Whatever happened to the chat linking us with him? Would love to see him at Tigers but I guess with Watson arriving that maybe put an end to any chance of that. Watson, Potter, Ashton, Murimurivalu and potentially Nadolo are still pretty decent options for next season though! And Porter, Moroni and Steward can all fill in if required
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Post by RagingBull »

He's in contract still