Great to see Martin and Henderson back to fitness
I'm not cynical just experienced
Noggs
Super User
Super User

Re: Tigers v Newcastle (A) 21st May 2022 KO 15:00

Post by Noggs »

No Lenny?
Life can be unpredictable, so eat your pudding first!
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Post by RagingBull »

Great to see Henderson back
markharbtiger
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by markharbtiger »

Good to see Cam Henderson on the bench!
westwinds31
Super User
Super User

Post by westwinds31 »

No Montoya. Moroni in though - doesn't strike me as a selection that would happen if he was departing.
westwinds31
Super User
Super User

Post by westwinds31 »

Newcastle Falcons team v Leicester Tigers (Saturday, 3pm, Kingston Park Stadium)

15 Alex Tait, 14 Adam Radwan, 13 Matias Orlando, 12 Luther Burrell, 11 Mateo Carreras, 10 Joel Hodgson, 9 Michael Young; 1 Adam Brocklebank, 2 George McGuigan, 3 Trevor Davison, 4 Greg Peterson, 5 Philip van der Walt, 6 Gary Graham, 7 Josh Basham, 8 Callum Chick (captain).

Replacements: 16 Jamie Blamire, 17 Logovi'i Mulipola, 18 Mark Tampin, 19 Freddie Lockwood, 20 Carl Fearns, 21 Cameron Nordli-Kelemeti, 22 Will Haydon-Wood, 23 Iwan Stephens

Battle of the Matias' at 13.

Could it be a Dolly vs McGuigan try scoring competition ?
Tigerbeat

Post by Tigerbeat »

Michael Young makes his first appearance of the season on Saturday as Newcastle Falcons host Gallagher Premiership leaders Leicester Tigers.
The 3pm kick-off at Kingston Park Stadium sees Young lining up against his old club, having missed the entirety of the campaign through injury.
Luther Burrell starts at inside centre, Matias Orlando pushing out one place in the absence of Ben Stevenson, who misses out due to a head knock.
Trevor Davison moves back across to tight-head prop as Adam Brocklebank comes in on the loose-head side – George McGuigan continuing at hooker in the week he received a call-up to England’s upcoming training squad.
Greg Peterson returns to the second row as Sean Robinson misses out through injury, No 8 Callum Chick captaining the team as Newcastle aim to beat Leicester at Kingston Park for the second time this season following March’s 36-28 Premiership Rugby Cup victory.
Former Tiger Logovi’i Mulipola is named on the bench for the Falcons, who have had two free weekends due to the scheduling of the European quarter and semi-finals.
“We’re refreshed and raring to go during what is a real stop-start finish to the season,” said head coach Dave Walder.
“Everyone’s excited to be playing against Leicester – a side who have had a dramatic turnaround over the last year or so. They’re sitting pretty at the top of the league and have a real clear identity of how they want to play the game under Steve Borthwick, so it’s a great challenge in our last home game to test ourselves against them.
“We haven’t played as well as we would have liked at home this season, and for various reasons have not played a style of rugby that we’ve been really happy with. Saturday is our chance to put our stamp on a game of rugby, play the way we want with a smile on our faces and try to get people through the turnstiles again.”
Ahead of what will be the last home game for director of rugby Dean Richards before he steps aside in the off-season, Walder was asked about his excitement around taking on added responsibility.
“From my side it’s an exciting prospect to try and take the club forward after the great work that Dean has done as director of rugby, and we’re just in the process of formalising the details around who does what in terms of how the whole thing will work,” said the former England fly-half.
“Dean has always been great in terms of wanting to develop people and see them push on in their careers, and it’s no different with the coaches. He challenges you in a good way at times but also lets you get on with it, and it’s been great to be able to learn from him. We’ve had some tough times and some very good times, but it’s undeniable that he’s had a massive influence on the club. In many ways he has kept us going.
“He won’t want anyone talking about him above the game, though, and I imagine he will want to merge off quietly rather than making a big scene. Everyone who’s around the club or follows it to any extent already knows what a huge presence he has been here, and that’s the main thing.”
Walder added: “As a group, we’re just desperate to go out on a high with it being our last home game.
“For some guys it will be the last game they play here in a Falcons shirt, and we’ll want to send them off on a really positive note. Obviously for our fans we want to give them a performance to be proud of as a lasting memory to take into next season, and there’s plenty riding on it from our side.
“We’ve prepared well for the game, and it’s about bringing the right level of emotion and giving ourselves the chance to win.
“Leicester taught us a lesson down at their place back in January when there was a deluge of rain 15 minutes before kick-off, and the best controlling half-backs in the league, playing behind a dominant pack, played the conditions perfectly. They played to their identity, and it’s worked well for them all season. Everyone knows what they’re going to bring, so it’s a case of firstly trying to stop them, and then secondly implementing our own style and strengths onto them.”

For those unable to make it in person to Kingston Park Stadium, click here to buy the PRTV live stream for £4.99.

Newcastle Falcons team v Leicester Tigers (Saturday, 3pm, Kingston Park Stadium)

15 Alex Tait, 14 Adam Radwan, 13 Matias Orlando, 12 Luther Burrell, 11 Mateo Carreras, 10 Joel Hodgson, 9 Michael Young; 1 Adam Brocklebank, 2 George McGuigan, 3 Trevor Davison, 4 Greg Peterson, 5 Philip van der Walt, 6 Gary Graham, 7 Josh Basham, 8 Callum Chick (captain).

Replacements: 16 Jamie Blamire, 17 Logovi'i Mulipola, 18 Mark Tampin, 19 Freddie Lockwood, 20 Carl Fearns, 21 Cameron Nordli-Kelemeti, 22 Will Haydon-Wood, 23 Iwan Stephens.

Referee: Anthony Woodthorpe.
SUPPORT THE MATT HAMPSON TRUST
www.matthampson.co.uk
Rugbygramps
Super User
Super User

Post by Rugbygramps »

Good strong team, Montoya and Lenny possibly carrying knocks, no Kelly or MVS so still rehabbing possibly.
Is it my imagination or is it a little while since we’ve seen Whitcombe

Looks the strongest Newcastle 15 I’ve seen in a while
Last edited by Rugbygramps on Fri May 20, 2022 12:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
tigerburnie
Super User
Super User

Post by tigerburnie »

Looks like a rotated team with one eye on keeping players match fit if needed over the next few weeks, a strong side, with no disrespect to Newcastle, it's a team more than capable of doing the job.

COME ON YOU TIGERRRrrssssss

:smt027 :smt027 :smt027
"If you want entertainment, go to the theatre," says Edinburgh head coach Richard Cockerill. "Rugby players play the game to win.15/1/21.
TigerFeetSteve
Super User
Super User

Post by TigerFeetSteve »

Like that team, gets Henderson game time and rust off which is important prior to the knockouts in case he's needed, rest up for Montoya who was IMO still carrying his injury in the Leinster game.
Used to run around with an 11, 14 or 15 on my back.
Qbec
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by Qbec »

RugbyGramps* James Whitcombe played in the bristol game 30th April
Tigers The Home Of World Class Rugby

11th Premiership Rugby Champions 2022
RunTigerRun
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by RunTigerRun »

Qbec wrote: Fri May 20, 2022 12:32 pm RugbyGramps* James Whitcombe played in the bristol game 30th April
Was also on the bench vs Leinster
mightymouse
Super User
Super User

Post by mightymouse »

I agree about Montoya I think there always a hint of a limp when he came off against Leinster, hopefully it’s just rest and continued rehab as precaution rather than he damaged that knee further by playing.
Also agree great to see Henderson back .. I think had he stayed fit he may have made the same upward trajectory that Chez has this season .. let’s hope that’s the case next season instead.
Also good to see big George back in the starting back row .. I want to see a stack of those trademark big thumping tackles!
Re Whitcome.. he most certainly came on for final few mins against Leinster … ask their Tighthead as it was his head he shoved firmly up where the sun don’t shine!
Last edited by mightymouse on Fri May 20, 2022 12:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Darc Tiger
Super User
Super User

Post by Darc Tiger »

Rugbygramps wrote: Fri May 20, 2022 12:08 pm Is it my imagination or is it a little while since we’ve seen Whitcombe
Came off the bench against Leinster.
Rugbygramps
Super User
Super User

Post by Rugbygramps »

Thanks for the info re Whitcombe maybe giving lady Gaga a run in case of injuries to a couple of loosehead in the run in