Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

Offside
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: Weekend Games - 29th April to 1st May 2022

Post by Offside »

wigworth wrote: Fri Apr 29, 2022 9:56 pm
TiltonTiger wrote: Fri Apr 29, 2022 9:54 pm Surely Care has to have a ban now? Cynical play throughout the season.
It will be good to hear how he explains himself out of this one on the BBC rugby podcast.
He and the media will say he is being passionate
Darc Tiger
Super User
Super User

Post by Darc Tiger »

Good result for us. Home semi nearly in the bag. Potentially against Saints! :smt040
Greenwhiteandred
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Greenwhiteandred »

Offside wrote: Fri Apr 29, 2022 9:56 pm I can see why it was mitigated down to a yellow. The problem I have is with tackle technique which involved driving upwards into contact. The upwards rather than forwards motion means that the tackle will ride up and can then contact the head. The tackler may have initially dipped but that is only to allow them to drive up. I would change the laws so that the direction. Of movement of the tackler is considered. If they are level of going downwards then that is mitigation. If they are going upwards then contact area decides the level of sanction. On that basis Porter is down grades, Gibson Parke is upgraded.
And Quins 17 was a red
Rugbygramps
Super User
Super User

Post by Rugbygramps »

Offside wrote: Fri Apr 29, 2022 9:56 pm I can see why it was mitigated down to a yellow. The problem I have is with tackle technique which involved driving upwards into contact. The upwards rather than forwards motion means that the tackle will ride up and can then contact the head. The tackler may have initially dipped but that is only to allow them to drive up. I would change the laws so that the direction. Of movement of the tackler is considered. If they are level of going downwards then that is mitigation. If they are going upwards then contact area decides the level of sanction. On that basis Porter is down grades, Gibson Parke is upgraded.
As has been said it’s the law. You say you can see why it was down graded, conversely you wouldn’t have been surprised for it to have been red. Too many variables too many moving parts.
Rugbygramps
Super User
Super User

Post by Rugbygramps »

Offside wrote: Fri Apr 29, 2022 9:58 pm
wigworth wrote: Fri Apr 29, 2022 9:56 pm
TiltonTiger wrote: Fri Apr 29, 2022 9:54 pm Surely Care has to have a ban now? Cynical play throughout the season.
It will be good to hear how he explains himself out of this one on the BBC rugby podcast.
He and the media will say he is being passionate
That’s more than 1 yellow every four games, and it was only the threat of red that shut him up. Something needs to be donev
Tigerbeat

Post by Tigerbeat »

Care unlikely to get a ban.....usually a ban for three yellow cards where they been given for physical fouls (late tackles/ high tackles / fighting etc ) rather than technical offences (deliberate knock on, offsides etc).
SUPPORT THE MATT HAMPSON TRUST
www.matthampson.co.uk
Crofty
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Crofty »

Tigerbeat wrote: Fri Apr 29, 2022 10:28 pm Care unlikely to get a ban.....usually a ban for three yellow cards where they been given for physical fouls (late tackles/ high tackles / fighting etc ) rather than technical offences (deliberate knock on, offsides etc).
Faint hope but perhaps he'll get cited for chopsing off at the ref on his way to the touchline...
No, not that one!

Remember, whatever you do to the smallest of the backs you do to his prop, and you can't avoid the rucks and mauls forever...

I know you don't like it when I boo him but how else will he know he's wrong?

non possumus capere
Scuttle
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Scuttle »

fentiger wrote: Fri Apr 29, 2022 9:51 pm
wigworth wrote: Fri Apr 29, 2022 9:49 pm Care adds to his card total.
Still won't get the ban he deserves though.....
Oh rugger! When the clock turned over 79 mins and Quins got a penalty I said to my wife we may as well turn over now. How many times have I done that. I had better make sure I choose my lucky underpants for the trip to WR tomorrow.

Edit. Or was it 69 mins?
As Good As It Gets
TigerFeetSteve
Super User
Super User

Post by TigerFeetSteve »

Also wort noting, Sale beat Newcastle 35-27 (5-1 points)

Which isn't a bad result for us, keeps all the teams around the top 4/top 8 under pressure to get results, meaning they can't take their feet off the gas really.
Used to run around with an 11, 14 or 15 on my back.
SthrnTiger

Post by SthrnTiger »

Looks to me like Saints almost have the 4th spot sewn up. Just need to beat Newcastle at home unless Gloucester beat Quins & Sarries (unlikely!)
TigerFeetSteve
Super User
Super User

Post by TigerFeetSteve »

SthrnTiger wrote: Sat Apr 30, 2022 7:20 am Looks to me like Saints almost have the 4th spot sewn up. Just need to beat Newcastle at home unless Gloucester beat Quins & Sarries (unlikely!)
True but there's a 2 week break now for them with no European rugby. Plus they had 4 of their pack go off injured yesterday. If they come back rusty post the break, pick up nothing at the stoneX, that's a lot of pressure on that Falcons game, with a possibly streched squad.
TigerFeetSteve
Super User
Super User

Post by TigerFeetSteve »

Plus, if my maths are right, they could even were Glaws to lose one of those games, if they get nothing at the StoneX, Wasps could be a point behind them too so pressure for a bp win may be required, too many permutations for me to say they've got there.
TigerFeetSteve
Super User
Super User

Post by TigerFeetSteve »

As it stands in the race for the top 4
Tigers: 81pts (max. 96)
Sarries: 77pts (max. 92)
Quins: 74pts (max. 84)
Saints: 68pts (max. 78)
Exeter: 62pts (max. 72)
Glaws: 62pts (max. 77)
Sale: 61pts (max. 71)
L.I. 58pts (max.68)
Wasps: 57pts (max. 72)

You've got to think there Saints need to get 5 points minimum to get to 73 just to get some breathing room to teams. Worth noting that Gloucester host Sarries as their last game where Sarries may have a home semifinal sewn up and a European final in the Challenge cup on the cards, so that may well be a heavily rotated side for that one more than the saints game the week before.

For me nothing is sewn up atm. It's in Saints hands. I actually think even Quins are also still at risk of missing out. Glaws have it in their hands to be 2 points behind Quins, going into each of their final games where Quins could be going to Sandy Park needing a win vs Chiefs who may still be in with top 4 ambitions
wigworth
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by wigworth »

TigerFeetSteve wrote: Sat Apr 30, 2022 8:04 am As it stands in the race for the top 4
Tigers: 81pts (max. 96)
Sarries: 77pts (max. 92)
Quins: 74pts (max. 84)
Saints: 68pts (max. 78)
Exeter: 62pts (max. 72)
Glaws: 62pts (max. 77)
Sale: 61pts (max. 71)
L.I. 58pts (max.68)
Wasps: 57pts (max. 72)

You've got to think there Saints need to get 5 points minimum to get to 73 just to get some breathing room to teams. Worth noting that Gloucester host Sarries as their last game where Sarries may have a home semifinal sewn up and a European final in the Challenge cup on the cards, so that may well be a heavily rotated side for that one more than the saints game the week before.

For me nothing is sewn up atm. It's in Saints hands. I actually think even Quins are also still at risk of missing out. Glaws have it in their hands to be 2 points behind Quins, going into each of their final games where Quins could be going to Sandy Park needing a win vs Chiefs who may still be in with top 4 ambitions
Setting up for an exciting end to the season.
Old Hob
Super User
Super User

Post by Old Hob »

So, any sort of win today guarantees us a top two finish.
Omnia dicta fortiora si dicta Latina