OTY retires

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

mightymouse
Super User
Super User

Re: OTY retires

Post by mightymouse »

One of those remarkable club men .. and a truely nice chap.. it is a great ahame that his career ends for the reasons it has.
If he leads the team out on Saturday then I think it will be very emotional for both him and us.. it certainly will be for me.
markharbtiger
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by markharbtiger »

A great one-club man and we are diminished by his retirement. Hopefully the Youngs family can maintain the connection to the club on some fashion, especially after Ben hangs up his boots
TigerReggie

Post by TigerReggie »

Genuinely emotional at this news. Can't wish the guy well enough. What a legend of the club. Will be missed. All the best Tom. All the best.
Rugbygramps
Super User
Super User

Post by Rugbygramps »

markharbtiger wrote: Wed Apr 27, 2022 5:51 pm A great one-club man and we are diminished by his retirement. Hopefully the Youngs family can maintain the connection to the club on some fashion, especially after Ben hangs up his boots
If nothing else Lenny and Tom were two of the first of the Norfolk connection which is continuing to pay dividends for the club
mol2
Super User
Super User

Post by mol2 »

Tigers, England and Lions.
And, most importantly prepared to put family first.

I think we all expected that he wasn’t going to return at the age of 35 in the circumstances.

Thank you and well played. I suspect this Saturday’s game against Bristol would have had him truly fired up.

Wasn’t his dad one of the Norfolk connection too?
ay2oh
Super User
Super User

Post by ay2oh »

mol2 wrote: Wed Apr 27, 2022 6:03 pm Tigers, England and Lions.

I think we all expected that he wasn’t going to return at the age of 35 in the circumstances.

Thank you and well played. I suspect this Saturday’s game against Bristol would have had him truly fired up.

Yes he was a very powerful scrum half
A2O
Rugbygramps
Super User
Super User

Post by Rugbygramps »

He was indeed but I think that was accident rather than design. Yes chunky scrum half around Steve Kennys time did get some England caps
baz1664
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by baz1664 »

A brilliant player with a Tiger heart, will always be remembered as a legend, Tom and Ben have given great service to the Tigers and one thing that has always showed their amazing morals and values is the dedication to their family. Huge respect and good luck to Tom and his family!!
Longshanks
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Longshanks »

Rugbygramps wrote: Wed Apr 27, 2022 6:22 pm

He was indeed but I think that was accident rather than design. Yes chunky scrum half around Steve Kennys time did get some England caps
Nick was a scrum half built like a prop. One of a small group in his era to play for an England team that beat the All Blacks (1983). An England team full of Tigers legends including Captain Wheeler. Hare, Dodge, Woodward, Cusworth and Youngs himself.
Wayne Richardson Fan Club
Super User
Super User

Post by Wayne Richardson Fan Club »

Was never a fan of OTY as an on field captain, but his commitment to the club has been unwavering, fantastic story as well.

It's a shame he couldn't end his career in the shirt but in the scheme of things a minor thing for him.

Time for Bondi to dust off his microphone?
To win is not as important as playing with style!
LE18
Super User
Super User

Post by LE18 »

Very best wishes to Tom, Tiff and Maisie, a lovely family, we knew them quite well when they lived round the corner from us in Glen, we hope to bump into them sometime when we are in Norfolk. Wishing them all the best, especially to Tiff.
bakerman
Tiger Cub

Post by bakerman »

Very best wishes to Tom and family. Always enjoyed watching him play. Tigers legend, loved his attitude. Will be there on Saturday to say thanks.
Jimmy Skitz
Super User
Super User

Post by Jimmy Skitz »

we all thought we knew it was coming, still sad, does anyone remember what his last game was?

Best wishes to Tom and his family in his retirement
JayC2
Tiger Cub

Post by JayC2 »

Best wishes to a tigers legend and to Tiff also.

Always gave 100% and was truly exceptional the season he won his lions caps.

A career to be proud of. Happy Retirement Tom
Ian Cant
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Ian Cant »

Always one of my favourite players on and off the pitch. Thanks Tom for all you did, which was a hell of a lot, for Tigers.
We now pray Tiff and your whole family can get on with living happily.