OTY retires

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

TheChild
Top Cat
Top Cat

Re: OTY retires

Post by TheChild »

I’m truly gutted but I had been expecting it for some time.
I got to know Tom well at Nottingham and he’s never forgotten his little fan club (me and my friend) he’s always had a smile and a kind word for me every time I’ve seen him and he was particularly kind and supportive to me when I fought my own cancer battle and in the aftermath when I was quite unwell.
Such a lovely genuine guy and I will miss him so much.
All the best Tom and family. Xx
KiwiTig
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by KiwiTig »

A gentleman, a champion and a genuine human being
He has been an amazing servant to the club and will be sorely missed and never forgotten
Postiger2
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Postiger2 »

Thanks for everything Tom. Enjoy retirement :smt038
longlivethecrumbie
Super User
Super User

Post by longlivethecrumbie »

The guy is an absolute colossus. He carried the side, quite literally sometimes, for several years and was an absolute warrior. I'm so, so gutted that I won't be there to add my voice to his farewell. All the best in your retirement Skipper, you did us all proud.
kk20gb30
Super User
Super User

Post by kk20gb30 »

Legend is an overused term today, but Tom Youngs deserves that accolade and more.
For those who witnessed his journey from Centre to International class Hooker in seemingly the blink of an eye you will concede that the man was simply nothing short of a force of nature carrying himself and those around him on an intoxicating journey.
Effort, ability and sheer force of will. He led by example and you would follow.
I was really hoping to see him wear The Shirt one last time competitively - he loves The Club and at times I'm sure lived and breathed it and he carried some rank bad teams and always with pride. If anything he cared too much and tried too hard. Hardly criticisms though - if only others cared half as much.
It is fitting that he will lead out the team versus Bristol this Saturday (30/4/22) as he has done so often in the past and stir many a memory.
A testimonial would be fitting gesture at some stage also , I feel; as ,in addition to the accolades for his career that are currently being bestowed on him let us remember one more thing.....
Tom Youngs is a genuine, humble and nice guy. He has time for the fans (all ages) and his feet are planted firmly on the earth that he tends.
Take a bow and take a rest - you deserve both. A happy retirement and we wish you and your family a happy life.
An absolute Legend.
RESPECT.
Seemingly heading rapidly toward senility .....Not long or far to go now , in fact, getting worse daily.....
DingDong
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by DingDong »

kk20gb30 wrote: Thu Apr 28, 2022 8:30 am Legend is an overused term today, but Tom Youngs deserves that accolade and more.
For those who witnessed his journey from Centre to International class Hooker in seemingly the blink of an eye you will concede that the man was simply nothing short of a force of nature carrying himself and those around him on an intoxicating journey.
Effort, ability and sheer force of will. He led by example and you would follow.
I was really hoping to see him wear The Shirt one last time competitively - he loves The Club and at times I'm sure lived and breathed it and he carried some rank bad teams and always with pride. If anything he cared too much and tried too hard. Hardly criticisms though - if only others cared half as much.
It is fitting that he will lead out the team versus Bristol this Saturday (30/4/22) as he has done so often in the past and stir many a memory.
A testimonial would be fitting gesture at some stage also , I feel; as ,in addition to the accolades for his career that are currently being bestowed on him let us remember one more thing.....
Tom Youngs is a genuine, humble and nice guy. He has time for the fans (all ages) and his feet are planted firmly on the earth that he tends.
Take a bow and take a rest - you deserve both. A happy retirement and we wish you and your family a happy life.
An absolute Legend.
RESPECT.
Agreed! and so perfectly described - :smt038
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

Testimonial is a great idea! Maybe a few other legends might want to come and play,make a day of it at MWWR. How would we start drumming this up and getting it out there? Be a great idea!
"Rugby isn't a contact sport,ballroom dancing is a contact sport. Rugby is a collision sport" Heyneke Meyer
Longshanks
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Longshanks »

kk20gb30 wrote: Thu Apr 28, 2022 8:30 am Legend is an overused term today, but Tom Youngs deserves that accolade and more.
An absolute Legend.
RESPECT.
Well said :smt045
chewbacca
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by chewbacca »

Legend indeed. A rare breed. Best wishes for the future Tom.
I'm not cynical just experienced
strawclearer
Super User
Super User

Post by strawclearer »

Tom's legacy will not be measured simply by the number of games he's played - for us, England and the Lions - but by the number of hearts he's touched. It is no exaggeration to say that, together with his family, he has been the heart and soul of the Club and an inspiration to so many.

The overused 'legend' word? Yes - for Tom Youngs, yes.
Happy days clearing straw from the pitch before the Baa-Baas games! KBO
Wear a Mask>Protect The NHS>Save Lives
Rugbygramps
Super User
Super User

Post by Rugbygramps »

There was a time when the club used to name public rooms/bars after famous players.
I don’t think it would be too much to ask to name an area after the Youngs family in honour of what Tom and the rest of the family have done for the club
wormus
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by wormus »

Jimmy Skitz wrote: Wed Apr 27, 2022 8:10 pm we all thought we knew it was coming, still sad, does anyone remember what his last game was?

Best wishes to Tom and his family in his retirement
Tom's last game for us was the pre-season Tigers v Scarlets on 9th September where we came second 24 - 29 in a stop start game. https://www.leicestertigers.com/match/p ... ch-line-up
Not really a game to remember or for Tom to be his last. But Tom did not play in any Premiership games this year and I wonder if by this he is not counted in the "players salary cap"
I met Tom several times at the Open Forum's and he was always informative and straight to the point a true gentleman.
When my neighbour and fellow season ticket holder celebrated a "very big " birthday I arranged for Tom to phone him on the day and like a true Tiger he did and spent a long time in conversation, a call my neighbour still talks about "his mate Tom!"
Thanks Tom for all the great times and I hope there are hopeful family times too. :smt038 :smt006
Big Dai
Super User
Super User

Post by Big Dai »

Rugbygramps wrote: Thu Apr 28, 2022 1:24 pm There was a time when the club used to name public rooms/bars after famous players.
I don’t think it would be too much to ask to name an area after the Youngs family in honour of what Tom and the rest of the family have done for the club
Well said sir!
Exile Wigstonite living in Wales.
Poet laureate of the "One Eyed Turk".
Bar stool philosopher in the "Wilted Daffodil"
Jimmy Skitz
Super User
Super User

Post by Jimmy Skitz »

wormus wrote: Thu Apr 28, 2022 1:38 pm
Jimmy Skitz wrote: Wed Apr 27, 2022 8:10 pm we all thought we knew it was coming, still sad, does anyone remember what his last game was?

Best wishes to Tom and his family in his retirement
Tom's last game for us was the pre-season Tigers v Scarlets on 9th September where we came second 24 - 29 in a stop start game. https://www.leicestertigers.com/match/p ... ch-line-up
Not really a game to remember or for Tom to be his last. But Tom did not play in any Premiership games this year and I wonder if by this he is not counted in the "players salary cap"
I met Tom several times at the Open Forum's and he was always informative and straight to the point a true gentleman.
When my neighbour and fellow season ticket holder celebrated a "very big " birthday I arranged for Tom to phone him on the day and like a true Tiger he did and spent a long time in conversation, a call my neighbour still talks about "his mate Tom!"
Thanks Tom for all the great times and I hope there are hopeful family times too. :smt038 :smt006
I meant his last real game
Wayne Richardson Fan Club
Super User
Super User

Post by Wayne Richardson Fan Club »

It might have been the corresponding fixture last season....
To win is not as important as playing with style!