Who should be kicking goals

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

trendylfj
Super User
Super User

Who should be kicking goals

Post by trendylfj »

Something I have been thinking about for some time but when GF and FB are both on the field, who should take the kicks? Last weekend cemented it for me - Freddie Burns every time. George's stats are very low - not in the top 10 which means his percentage is less than 76*6% whereas FB's s over 84%. A big difference and too big to ignore.

https://www.leicestermercury.co.uk/spor ... er-7001044
Hehehehehehehehe
Rugbygramps
Super User
Super User

Re: Who should be kicking goals

Post by Rugbygramps »

Very good point. Maybe have to dig a little deeper than that i.e. does Ford go for longer range efforts, do we kick more for line outs when just Burns is playing.
Be interesting to know how the decision is made, is it just who has been striking the ball better in training or is it a hierarchical thing
Pellsey
Super User
Super User

Post by Pellsey »

In the Premiership "in modern rugby", it just tends to be the case that the 10 takes the kicks (and that is just how it is), so I guess that is mainly why Ford takes them. But I agree, that there is definitely the hierarchy point. Who would forget the Steward kick last year though!

20 years ago, it was mostly the Full Back. In France, it is often the 9 who takes the kicks.

IMHO, it should just be given to the best goal kicker, whether that be a 10 or a prop (memories of Logo haha).
Tigerbeat

Post by Tigerbeat »

Ford is the better kicker although the percentage dont show...........I expect that he has had more shots at goal than Freddie so that would deviate the percentage eg 20/25 = 80%

8 out of 10 kicks give 80% as well, but does not take into account the position from where the kicks were taken.

A tough call, by Ford edges it for me 9 times out of 10.
SUPPORT THE MATT HAMPSON TRUST
www.matthampson.co.uk
GB72
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by GB72 »

Ford to me is the better kicker, just a bit rusty at the moment. Amazing the damage that an extended period sat on the England bench can do to your playing momentum. Hopefully he will hit pre England Hiatus form again soon.
Hot_Charlie
Super User
Super User

Post by Hot_Charlie »

GB72 wrote: Tue Apr 26, 2022 3:02 pm Ford to me is the better kicker, just a bit rusty at the moment. Amazing the damage that an extended period sat on the England bench can do to your playing momentum. Hopefully he will hit pre England Hiatus form again soon.
England hiatus, ankle knock against Exeter, even the switch of boots this year (note how first Ford, and now Marcus Smith have left adidas for Nike. Freddie's even gone back to "retro" adidas). There appears to be an issue though, whatever has caused it. Kelly was picture goalkicking in training, whether there was a plan to rest Steward and start Burns last weekend we don't know, but it could be an indication of shoehorning (no pun intended) another kicker into the XV.

We'll see.
TigerFeetSteve
Super User
Super User

Post by TigerFeetSteve »

Hot_Charlie wrote: Tue Apr 26, 2022 3:20 pm
GB72 wrote: Tue Apr 26, 2022 3:02 pm Ford to me is the better kicker, just a bit rusty at the moment. Amazing the damage that an extended period sat on the England bench can do to your playing momentum. Hopefully he will hit pre England Hiatus form again soon.
England hiatus, ankle knock against Exeter, even the switch of boots this year (note how first Ford, and now Marcus Smith have left adidas for Nike. Freddie's even gone back to "retro" adidas). There appears to be an issue though, whatever has caused it. Kelly was picture goalkicking in training, whether there was a plan to rest Steward and start Burns last weekend we don't know, but it could be an indication of shoehorning (no pun intended) another kicker into the XV.

We'll see.
I think the ankle knock is probably more of an issue than some think. Just getting the right bounce through your ankle if it's stiff for example may affect this. For me Ford is the better kicker vut not carrying a knock. However for example vs Leinster I doubt if Steward is fit that both will be on the pitch together, in which case if one is brought on with the other later do you switch who kicks?
Used to run around with an 11, 14 or 15 on my back.
Rugbygramps
Super User
Super User

Post by Rugbygramps »

Everything else being equal I would hope Burns starts v Bristol with Fordy on the bench and used if required.
He just looks a bit battered, not just his ankle but heavy strapped up arm too
sam16111986
Super User
Super User

Post by sam16111986 »

Ford is the better kicker but hasn't been as good off the tee since he limped off a few weeks back. Could be he's nursing a bit of a niggle.
Rugbygramps
Super User
Super User

Post by Rugbygramps »

sam16111986 wrote: Tue Apr 26, 2022 6:36 pm Ford is the better kicker but hasn't been as good off the tee since he limped off a few weeks back. Could be he's nursing a bit of a niggle.
Might have something to do with the ankle everyone else is talking about :smt005
sam16111986
Super User
Super User

Post by sam16111986 »

Rugbygramps wrote: Tue Apr 26, 2022 6:44 pm
sam16111986 wrote: Tue Apr 26, 2022 6:36 pm Ford is the better kicker but hasn't been as good off the tee since he limped off a few weeks back. Could be he's nursing a bit of a niggle.
Might have something to do with the ankle everyone else is talking about :smt005
Quite probably.
Hot_Charlie
Super User
Super User

Post by Hot_Charlie »

TigerFeetSteve wrote: Tue Apr 26, 2022 3:51 pm
Hot_Charlie wrote: Tue Apr 26, 2022 3:20 pm

We'll see.
I think the ankle knock is probably more of an issue than some think. Just getting the right bounce through your ankle if it's stiff for example may affect this. For me Ford is the better kicker vut not carrying a knock. However for example vs Leinster I doubt if Steward is fit that both will be on the pitch together, in which case if one is brought on with the other later do you switch who kicks?
Exactly. That's why Steve B gets paid good money.
Big Dai
Super User
Super User

Post by Big Dai »

Dan Cole
Exile Wigstonite living in Wales.
Poet laureate of the "One Eyed Turk".
Bar stool philosopher in the "Wilted Daffodil"
CJ
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by CJ »

And let’s not forget Jordan Crane’s kick in that penalty shoot out at Cardiff.
mol2
Super User
Super User

Post by mol2 »

The best kicker on the pitch with the range.

Not automatically the fly half.

Remember John Eales?
A point of past frustration as a schoolboy prop knowing I had a huge boot but was told that kicking was for the backs.