Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

Old Hob
Super User
Super User

Re: Bristol (Home) - 30th April 2022 KO 15:00

Post by Old Hob »

Ian Cant wrote: Sat Apr 30, 2022 6:02 pm
Nadalo has been great for us but I cannot see him being in the squad next week as his defence( like last week too) is not strong enough for top games!
I know I'm out on a limb here, but I have not bought into the "man's a genius" pitch. He made line breaks and scored earlier in the season but now seems to lumber about, is predictable and rarely breaks the first tackle. His defence is poor too as he is just too slow. Sorry - but that's what I've seen.
Omnia dicta fortiora si dicta Latina
Old Hob
Super User
Super User

Post by Old Hob »

westwinds31 wrote: Sat Apr 30, 2022 8:37 pm
Postiger2 wrote: Sat Apr 30, 2022 4:06 pm Would love to see Moroni sign a new contract. Superb player.
He is going to….as reported on the Rolling Maull Podcast.
Excellent! Was a real hard worker today.
Omnia dicta fortiora si dicta Latina
Big Dai
Super User
Super User

Post by Big Dai »

Old Hob wrote: Sat Apr 30, 2022 8:38 pm
Nadalo has been great for us but I cannot see him being in the squad next week as his defence( like last week too) is not strong enough for top games!
I know I'm out on a limb here, but I have not bought into the "man's a genius" pitch. He made line breaks and scored earlier in the season but now seems to lumber about, is predictable and rarely breaks the first tackle. His defence is poor too as he is just too slow. Sorry - but that's what I've seen.
Now go and tell him!
After you sir! 😁😁😁😁
Exile Wigstonite living in Wales.
Poet laureate of the "One Eyed Turk".
Bar stool philosopher in the "Wilted Daffodil"
mol2
Super User
Super User

Post by mol2 »

The short answer is that Nadolo will be dreadfully exposed by a running attack.
He may be a spectacularly powerful runner in attack but it is in a straight line over a short distance but attackers do not always run at you . A bit like putting a tight head on the wing.

The opposition winger runs an arcing line and he will be nowhere near. Just not got the mobility or the speed to get back.

As the season has progressed his ability in defensive play has diminished: Is he knackered, has Father Time caught up, faster running play now we are in the spring or have sides recognised his lack of pace and mobility is there to be exploited? A bit of all of these. Against Newcastle this is less of a problem but Leinster or Saints attack will exploit it.

Watch the highlights and one of their last two tries will illustrate this exactly.

Saumaki may well have defensive limitations but not to the extent that he will concede so many tries.
Last edited by mol2 on Mon May 02, 2022 7:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
westwinds31
Super User
Super User

Post by westwinds31 »

mol2 wrote: Sat Apr 30, 2022 8:43 pm The short answer is that Nadolo will be dreadfully exposed by a running attack.
He may be a spectacularly powerful runner in attack but it is in a straight line over a short distance but attackers do not always run at you . A bit like putting a tight head on the wing.

The opposition winger runs an acting line and he will be nowhere near.
I don’t agree, but who would you go with on the wings ? Saumaki is still a work in progress and I’m not sure I’d go Ashton vs Leinster..,,,Porter/Potter ? Just think we’ve got to fire some shots and having Nemani keeps the defence honest.
westwinds31
Super User
Super User

Post by westwinds31 »

Reffell was immense today. So too Moroni. The commentary team were correct, we are efficient ! It’s a perfect description. We get the ball into the opposition’s half if it’s not on. Kick chase is insane and defence is suffocating. It’s so good to see.
Scuttle
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Scuttle »

wigworth wrote: Sat Apr 30, 2022 4:52 pm Fantastic result today and almost equally as important nobody looked to be injured so hopefully it can be a fully fit best XV next week.
I felt a little deflated by their 2 late tries but, on reflection, I imagine we were playing safe in the the last 10 mins...don't commit too heavily and pick up injuries, don't exhaust ourselves because of the games coming up.....better leak a couple of tries with such a big lead and the scoreline is, I suspect, better than most would have imagined anyway. Back home in Matlock now. A few glasses of the "oh be joyful". Perfect. :smt002
As Good As It Gets
Scuttle
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Scuttle »

Big Dai wrote: Sat Apr 30, 2022 8:42 pm
Old Hob wrote: Sat Apr 30, 2022 8:38 pm
Now go and tell him!
After you sir! 😁😁😁😁
Yeah, I'll be right behind you Old Hob !!
As Good As It Gets
nicmattyg
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by nicmattyg »

The start of the game with OTY leading out the team set the tone for this game.

The man is a true tigers legend, there’s not a player that speaks of him with anything but the highest regard.

Brilliant team display today, we've been the best team in the league this year and IMO we deserve some silverware to show for it. Regardless, it has been a brilliant and entertaining season whatever the outcome, and the fans are all full of pride once again thanks to the hard work of this coaching team, along with the players.

Can’t wait to see how the remaining games unfold and where this squad can take us this season and beyond
DeadlyDunc
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by DeadlyDunc »

Think we are being a bit harsh on Nadolo - his defence has been good since he joined us and his ability over the ball has won us many a turnover at key times.

I’m not saying he’s perfect defensively but who is and when has he let us down when it’s mattered?

Factor that against the moments (usually 3-4 a game) that no one else is likely to do in attack and it adds up to a unique player.

Maybe he won’t play against Leinster for various reasons but I’d play him and let them have something to think about
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Post by RagingBull »

Nadolo should be able to handle Lowe.
OakhamTiger32
Super User
Super User

Post by OakhamTiger32 »

Just finished watching the game.. what a fantastic performance by the lads.. wow.. just wow..

Firstly.. Mr Ashton.. take a bow. A very well deserved 27 minute hat trick and even had one ruled out for a knee in touch in there too. You can see from how the players react to him how he is viewed at Tigers and it's a pleasure to see!

Genge, Montoya, Liebenberg, Reffell, Wiese, Youngs, Potter, Moroni, Ashton and Steward all outstanding today. Genge was a rampaging beast, Montoya was exceptional carrying and at the breakdown, Liebenberg was everywhere, as always and is just class, Wiese was back to his carrying best, Reffell was outstanding and made so many crucial turnovers, Youngs had a fantastic outing and his box kicks were spot on, Potter chased everything and was rewarded with a fantastic solo try, Moroni was just everywhere, tackled, chased and harassed from start to finish and took his try really well, Ashton.. take a bow and Steward was almost impeccable under the high ball, tackled well for the most part and made some good breaks.

Officials - excellent for my money and Dickson continues to improve. Got the vast majority of calls right and the TMO made some very sensible calls too. We probably got the rub of the green on a couple (Ford's slap down may have been forwards, hard to tell and could easily have been deemed as such and a yellow for him but the TMO said it went backwards. Wiese potential tip tackle clearly wasn't but plenty of TMOs would have pinged him there meaning the Tigers try is disallowed and it's a Bristol penalty on our 5m line). Close calls but we seemed to get the benefit of the doubt on some that haven't gone our way in the past. The Dickson/Rose combo is welcome at MWWR any time!

A couple of good charge downs today and we dominated the lineout, scrum and breakdown. We all knew it before the game but we have to keep Reffell.. he is immense.

Really enjoyed watching that. A fantastic 80 minutes of rugby. Left a few points out there but no shortage of effort, grit and determination from the entire squad. No injuries that I am aware of and some key players off after 50 or so minutes to get a rest before the big match with Leinster..

Couldn't have gone better really.. outstanding match :smt023

Oh and Home Semi secured :smt003
Oakham lad born and bred, Tigers season ticket holder who is enjoying steady progression back towards the good old days!
Smudge
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Smudge »

What a great treat this game was. Some fine contests with Bristol over the years which, (last season's match excepted),
always seemed to be good ones. They were also the only other club to keep the letters along with Tigers.
Reffell was my man of the match, he was a star among stars but what a shift he put in.
Genge was also superb and I can't help but imagine he is strongly regretting his decision to leave when the club is on the cusp of something very special. If you see this Ellis, for goodness sake, revoke that decision and stay for what is going
to be a great ride.
A life long Tiger
OakhamTiger32
Super User
Super User

Post by OakhamTiger32 »

We get a lot of comments about scoring lots of tries through the rolling maul and forwards but 7 of our 8 tries were scored by backs yesterday. Some of the tries were absolutely world class too.. I know Bristol are having a poor season but they did beat Glos last round so are no pushovers
Oakham lad born and bred, Tigers season ticket holder who is enjoying steady progression back towards the good old days!
SthrnTiger

Post by SthrnTiger »

OakhamTiger32 wrote: Sun May 01, 2022 7:58 am We get a lot of comments about scoring lots of tries through the rolling maul and forwards but 7 of our 8 tries were scored by backs yesterday. Some of the tries were absolutely world class too.. I know Bristol are having a poor season but they did beat Glos last round so are no pushovers
There were a lot of offloads that stuck in there as well - really impressive how much the attack has come on over the season.