Rugby Tonight

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

westwinds31
Super User
Super User

Rugby Tonight

Post by westwinds31 »

Anyone else watch this ? Shaun Edwards as the guest and as you would expect, he was very good. Talking about his first talk to the French squad and how he made sure he delivered it in French, to show how serious he was about the role. Interesting to hear that he was desperate to work with Laporte, given he was a winner and some interesting chat about how he was offered a role with England in 2006 (I think) but it was too early and his mum said he wasn't ready !! He didn't rule out working with England in the future, but is keen to work in 4 year cycles, he has kids and bills to pay !

Lastly, great shout out to Sinfield. Edwards said he was talking to Super Kev, who apparently found the laws and the intricacies of union difficult to begin with but then, once he got his head around it, things started to click and he thought "Ah, so that's why they do it that way" etc - and then he could implement his league knowledge. It's obviously working !
ads
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: Rugby Tonight

Post by ads »

So thats pretty much his application for the England job post EJ then.

RFU listen to the man and bring him in!
Big Dai
Super User
Super User

Post by Big Dai »

westwinds31 wrote: Mon Apr 25, 2022 8:53 am Anyone else watch this ? Shaun Edwards as the guest and as you would expect, he was very good. Talking about his first talk to the French squad and how he made sure he delivered it in French, to show how serious he was about the role. Interesting to hear that he was desperate to work with Laporte, given he was a winner and some interesting chat about how he was offered a role with England in 2006 (I think) but it was too early and his mum said he wasn't ready !! He didn't rule out working with England in the future, but is keen to work in 4 year cycles, he has kids and bills to pay !

Lastly, great shout out to Sinfield. Edwards said he was talking to Super Kev, who apparently found the laws and the intricacies of union difficult to begin with but then, once he got his head around it, things started to click and he thought "Ah, so that's why they do it that way" etc - and then he could implement his league knowledge. It's obviously working !
.........And in that Remy soaked moment my mind flipped from being worried about Borthwick and England to being worried about Kev and England.
Exile Wigstonite living in Wales.
Poet laureate of the "One Eyed Turk".
Bar stool philosopher in the "Wilted Daffodil"
Robespierre
Super User
Super User

Post by Robespierre »

Is "Rugby Tonight" watchable on a podcast?
Semper in excretia
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

Does anyone know if Borths said to the board get me Kev? Or did the board say to Borths do you fancy working with Kev? It's a very important question and answer!
"Rugby isn't a contact sport,ballroom dancing is a contact sport. Rugby is a collision sport" Heyneke Meyer
wardy
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by wardy »

Can't imagine the Board knowing enough about rugby to put the idea into Borth's head.
Give blood, play rugby!!
GB72
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by GB72 »

As we had a defence coach in place at the time and his departure had the potential to cause friction, I would suspect that SB but in the request for the person he wanted.
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

Thanks guys. Just maybe matters in the future if Borths goes it will be a package deal
"Rugby isn't a contact sport,ballroom dancing is a contact sport. Rugby is a collision sport" Heyneke Meyer
Wayne Richardson Fan Club
Super User
Super User

Post by Wayne Richardson Fan Club »

Robespierre wrote: Mon Apr 25, 2022 9:50 am Is "Rugby Tonight" watchable on a podcast?
Its watchable as Fan Boy & Dayglo aren't on...as for how to watch it...no idea...

Edwards never mentioned Sinfield by name only by big clues, the reference to the England job in 2006 was that his Mum didn't think he was ready for a non day to day job.

The best way for Edwards to get in the England set up would possibly be France winning the next RWC.
To win is not as important as playing with style!
westwinds31
Super User
Super User

Post by westwinds31 »

Robespierre…….If you can get catch up on BT Sport, it will be on there or no doubt repeated at some point. It was obvious that Edwards was talking about Sinfield, and Kay and Monye both said “Kevin Sinfield” when he’d finished !
sam16111986
Super User
Super User

Post by sam16111986 »

Scott1 wrote: Mon Apr 25, 2022 10:50 am Thanks guys. Just maybe matters in the future if Borths goes it will be a package deal
Possibly. If Borthwick goes then Sinfield would be favourite to be offered the head coach role. Hire an experienced forwards coach to work with him. Sinfield might like the top job and regular coaching more than an international set up so quickly. Borthwick might also choose to stay, he's mentioned several times how he loves being at Tigers more than he ever thought he would but that England would be a big honour. I don't think it would be a cut and dry decision for him, probably a couple of sleepless nights and then dependent on whether England would give him free reign or not.

Edwards has built top quality defences at international level for years. The only thing left to prove is that he can do the top job at international level. Would be a logical appointment for the RFU so you can rule it out straightaway.
Robespierre
Super User
Super User

Post by Robespierre »

westwinds31 wrote: Mon Apr 25, 2022 4:44 pm Robespierre…….If you can get catch up on BT Sport, it will be on there or no doubt repeated at some point. It was obvious that Edwards was talking about Sinfield, and Kay and Monye both said “Kevin Sinfield” when he’d finished !
Thank you. Do you know if I can get catch up on BT sport on the net, as I live in France?
Semper in excretia
Crofty
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Crofty »

Robespierre wrote: Mon Apr 25, 2022 9:58 pm
westwinds31 wrote: Mon Apr 25, 2022 4:44 pm Robespierre…….If you can get catch up on BT Sport, it will be on there or no doubt repeated at some point. It was obvious that Edwards was talking about Sinfield, and Kay and Monye both said “Kevin Sinfield” when he’d finished !
Thank you. Do you know if I can get catch up on BT sport on the net, as I live in France?
Should be able to, might have to convince it you are in the UK though
No, not that one!

Remember, whatever you do to the smallest of the backs you do to his prop, and you can't avoid the rucks and mauls forever...

I know you don't like it when I boo him but how else will he know he's wrong?

non possumus capere
teds
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by teds »

westwinds31 wrote: Mon Apr 25, 2022 8:53 am He didn't rule out working with England in the future, but is keen to work in 4 year cycles, he has kids and bills to pay !
It’s easy to see how Edwards would bring clarity. Came across as the kind of coach you would want.
Also made it very clear that if the RFU want him they need to offer him the job security for four years at least. No excuse for not getting an offer together.
Jimmy Skitz
Super User
Super User

Post by Jimmy Skitz »

Robespierre wrote: Mon Apr 25, 2022 9:50 am Is "Rugby Tonight" watchable on a podcast?
pretty sure you can on the BT sport app